HL2

Got some good dish on TF2? Got a heads up on a new patch/update?

Moderators: boat, rickh

[NME]Myth
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]Myth » Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:44 pm

You have to use Steam to play? :puke:

I got notice that my copy shipped today so it will be in hand tomorrow.
LET'S GO HOKIES!!!

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:49 pm

no, u need steam to authenticate.

man dis is a sweet game...graphics and physics are phenomenal! the facial features of the characters are pretty amazing too. and the gameplay aint to shabby neider :P :D

kudos valve!

:ohyeah: :ggrin:

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:10 am

boat wrote:no, u need steam to authenticate.

man dis is a sweet game...graphics and physics are phenomenal! the facial features of the characters are pretty amazing too. and the gameplay aint to shabby neider :P :D

kudos valve!

ditto! neva had so much fun bashin with a crobar. the 9mm ain't bad either. :lol:

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:30 am

boat wrote:no, u need steam to authenticate.

kudos valve!

As far as I'm concerned, it authenticated when it took my $$$. I got to play for about an hour then stopped for dinner. When I got back to the game, my Internet was down the rest of the night so I couldn't play. WTF? So peeps without the Internet can't play? That's some serious bs!!! :cuss1: :bad-words:

[NME]Myth
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]Myth » Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:56 pm

Got confirmation from my peeps that the game is at home! WOOHOO! :D
LET'S GO HOKIES!!!

[NME]Myth
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]Myth » Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:56 pm

Okay, count me impressed!

Installing was a pain. With the CD's there is an error on the 4th CD if you don't install CS:Source too (I optioned out of that at first), but if you choose to install CS: Source there is no issue with installation. Then it took ~20 minutes to unlock game files. Wtf? Why unlock the game files when I didn't d/l them in the first place. :-?

But the game itself seems very awesome. The first time you reach the water will impress anybody even when you're expecting it. It is awesome to duck below the surface and look up at the buildings and whatnot. Wowza! And being able to destroy those picture takers by repeatedly throwing paint buckets at them!!! :lol:

And it for sure has subtitles. Heck I might put them on just to understand those dang soldier guys.
LET'S GO HOKIES!!!

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:50 am

[NME]Myth wrote: And it for sure has subtitles. Heck I might put them on just to understand those dang soldier guys.
yep, its got two kinds, one that captions everything and one just for dialog. so if u turn on the one that captions everything, it even shows onscreen like if u picked up some ammo/health :D

Rork
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Rork » Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:15 am

Hey Everyone!!!

Just left Revenholm and through the Sandtraps to poke my head out of my hiding spot in Nova Prospekt.... Wow Wow Wow this game kicks all kinds of ass. I cant stop playing as I assume most of you are finding as well.. Keep up the good fight

see you all on ec1 in about a week or so, gish ;)

I have some screenies too, I will post a few when I get home tonight..

0X
"I'm Not as Think as You Stoned I am"

!biA biA!

[NME]Myth
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]Myth » Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:15 pm

Yeah, I am at work and want to be home playing it right now! I didn't have much time to play yesterday after my installation problems. I am still in the first little creek of water you have to swim through while travelling to Alex and father's lab.

The good news is this is my last day working and then I have 10 straight days off!!!!! WOOHOO!
LET'S GO HOKIES!!!

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:24 pm

im at nova prospekt too :pbt: :D ...ive been a little tired this week for some odd reason.... :arcade: :sleep2: :P

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:40 pm

ya know...im starting to speculate that the rumored 'surprise' might be along the lines of tfc:s, or possibly even tf2 :surp: :P especially since one of the allies in hl2 plays the role of a medic... :-? and then when u take into consideration the last 'news' blurb from the TF2 planetfortress page...
Team Fortress 2's development and status has been kept under wraps since Valve switched to an internally built engine. Doug Lombardi explains why:

When Robin Walker, Yahn Bernier and John Cook -- who are some of the leaders on the development team -- first started going toward the path they wanted to with Team Fortress 2, toward the game that they wanted to make once they'd defined it, it became clear that the Half-Life technology base was going to be pretty limiting. It has been said 'on the record' that there's a new internally-built engine, and TF2 will use that. So rather than showing more old screenshots and stuff that's in development while we're building the new engine, we decided to put it back into the pot and cook it a bit more. We'll start showing it again once it gets to a certain point, and we're now getting there.

There are a lot of rumours flying around suggesting that it's never coming out, but it's absolutely still in development. We hold our quality bars up really high. When people finally get to see it, they're going to understand what we've been up to and why we've been busy doing that rather than other things.

As a result, all preview content in this section is from the previous engine design; we'll leave it up for archival interest. Rest assured, when new information comes out, we'll be right on top of it. Thanks for visiting!
...new inhouse game engine...hl2 using the valve developed 'Source' game engine...

eh...eh...<nudge-nudge>... :oops: :lol: :P ;)

edm
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by edm » Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:48 pm

What difficulty level is everyone playing? I found medium a bit too easy. I made it to the air boat (water canal level) only dying once or twice. I restarted the game last night on hard. Also, how can I play offline from Steam? I tried loading it with steam closed, but it makes me log on.

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:09 pm

edm wrote:What difficulty level is everyone playing? I found medium a bit too easy. I made it to the air boat (water canal level) only dying once or twice. I restarted the game last night on hard. Also, how can I play offline from Steam? I tried loading it with steam closed, but it makes me log on.
I'm playing medium.

To play offline, start up steam, click on the little steam icon sitting in the tray and click on "settings". There is an option to "remember my settings". Make sure it's checked. Also, if you click on that same icon and then "games" to see you list of available games, right-click on HL2 and select "place shortcut on my desktop". Now when you shut down steam, you should just be able to click on the HL2 shortcut on your desktop and be good to go. Note that when you quit HL2, the steam icon will still be in your tray so you have to exit it separately.

Rork
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Rork » Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:34 pm

[NME]T-Bone wrote:
edm wrote:What difficulty level is everyone playing? I found medium a bit too easy. I made it to the air boat (water canal level) only dying once or twice. I restarted the game last night on hard. Also, how can I play offline from Steam? I tried loading it with steam closed, but it makes me log on.
I'm playing medium.

To play offline, start up steam, click on the little steam icon sitting in the tray and click on "settings". There is an option to "remember my settings". Make sure it's checked. Also, if you click on that same icon and then "games" to see you list of available games, right-click on HL2 and select "place shortcut on my desktop". Now when you shut down steam, you should just be able to click on the HL2 shortcut on your desktop and be good to go. Note that when you quit HL2, the steam icon will still be in your tray so you have to exit it separately.
All I do is, disable my NIC card, then start Steam .. (it tells you that you will be playing in off-line mode) vwala.. simple.. then you can enable your NIC if you like and you will stay in off-line mode until you re-start steam again..
;)

Oh, Playing in Medium..... will probably go back at some point and try the hard settings.. or maybe go exploring some more than I have been.. The level designs are huge in this thing :pot:

!biA biA!

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:52 pm

Rork wrote: All I do is, disable my NIC card, then start Steam .. (it tells you that you will be playing in off-line mode) vwala.. simple.. then you can enable your NIC if you like and you will stay in off-line mode until you re-start steam again..
;)

Oh, Playing in Medium..... will probably go back at some point and try the hard settings.. or maybe go exploring some more than I have been.. The level designs are huge in this thing :pot:
If you do not have the "remember my settings" checked off, then you can't play offline. The 1st day I got HL2 my Internet connection went down and it would not allow me to play without authenticating 1st. I played b4 dinner. After dinner, internet went poof and I was screwed...and very po'd!!!! :bad-words:

KaptainSkitzo
Ole Barnacle
Ole Barnacle

Post by KaptainSkitzo » Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:12 pm

They REALLY need to fix that.
I like the screenshots I've seen, but the lack of multiplayer mode really bothers me. Don't get me wrong...I like the original HL as a game unto itself, but the multiplayer mode(as well as the various mods for both single and multiplayer mode) really keep me coming back. Has anyone ever played (any or all) of the (dammit!!! I can't find the mod, and I don't remember the name!!! It's the one with the zombies...was published in a gamer mag...)
MAN! I hate this...It's kinda like a "Night of the Living Dead" meets Half Life mod....
I had all 3 parts, but somehow, they are gone...and I don't know how/why they disappeared! I need to find this...and fast....
"There are thousands of people out there who say I am *NOT* right in the head. There are thousands more out there who say I *AM* right in the head. The funny thing is, they all make these claims for the SAME REASONS!"
-Me.

KaptainSkitzo
Ole Barnacle
Ole Barnacle

Post by KaptainSkitzo » Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:46 pm

I found it...

"They Hunger"....

Anyone play that mod yet?
Anyway, back to the HL2 topic...will HL2 allow for mods like that? Even if they are single player only, some additions would be nice.
"There are thousands of people out there who say I am *NOT* right in the head. There are thousands more out there who say I *AM* right in the head. The funny thing is, they all make these claims for the SAME REASONS!"
-Me.

Rork
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Rork » Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:40 pm

[NME]T-Bone wrote:
Rork wrote: All I do is, disable my NIC card, then start Steam .. (it tells you that you will be playing in off-line mode) vwala.. simple.. then you can enable your NIC if you like and you will stay in off-line mode until you re-start steam again..
;)

If you do not have the "remember my settings" checked off, then you can't play offline. The 1st day I got HL2 my Internet connection went down and it would not allow me to play without authenticating 1st. I played b4 dinner. After dinner, internet went poof and I was screwed...and very po'd!!!! :bad-words:
I guess mine is backward.. :-? :lol: :P As you can see by the pic, I have the opposite :drinking: because I dont have this "don't save account information on this computer" checked it allows me to use off-line mode.. and I enter off-line mode as in the for mentioned way. it does work... just did it again to make sure I wasn't :crazy1: ;)

I guess its true, what they say, there realy is more than one way to skin a beaver :lol: :P I mean a beaver, I mean cat.... ;)
Attachments
Steam Settings.JPG

!biA biA!

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:55 pm

Rork wrote:
[NME]T-Bone wrote:
;)

I guess mine is backward.. :-? :lol: :P As you can see by the pic, I have the opposite :drinking: because I dont have this "don't save account information on this computer" checked it allows me to use off-line mode.. and I enter off-line mode as in the for mentioned way. it does work... just did it again to make sure I wasn't :crazy1: ;)

I guess its true, what they say, there realy is more than one way to skin a beaver :lol: :P I mean a beaver, I mean cat.... ;)
doh! :oops: me bad. i just checked mine. it's UNchecked which is offline mode.

Rork
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Rork » Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:57 pm

:bong: :()():

:whack3:

!biA biA!