Flat panel/LCD displays?

A forum for discussing hardware related news, help, rumors, etc...

Moderators: boat, rickh

edm
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by edm » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:49 am

Well, just got a new LCD this one here. It was a toss up between that Samsung 940B and the ViewSonic VX922.

It didn't come with a DVI cable, that's supposed to come today, but I'm still very impressed with the picture, even with using the vga cable. I've only tried one game so far and had very little ghosting (but enough to see), but I'm hoping thats the analog signal more than anything. I will experiment some more when I get the DVI hooked up.

Pictue is very bright though and the text is very clear and sharp. The colors are beautiful :angel:

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:08 am

nice! i just got this one last month. no dead pixels, very sharp picture, and no ghosting in games. there's a very slight ghosting when watching dvd's, but i don't use it to watch movies anyhow.
T-Bone

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos
will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

Dictator
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Dictator » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:17 am

[NME]T-Bone wrote:nice! i just got this one last month. no dead pixels, very sharp picture, and no ghosting in games. there's a very slight ghosting when watching dvd's, but i don't use it to watch movies anyhow.
How is it so far?

I'm thinking about get it myself. Perhaps buy another one to have a dual monitors set. :D

Does anyone have other recommendation, especially for gaming?
Give me liberty, or I may well give you death.

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:24 pm

So far so good. Looks like the day I got it.
T-Bone

[NME]Myth
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]Myth » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:14 pm

I'm thinking about getting one soon. It's time for an upgrade.

How are games if you can't set the resolution to the monitor's native resolution? You're pretty much stuck on the native resolution from what I've read so far. Is that accurate?
LET'S GO HOKIES!!!

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:28 am

Most newer games can run at the lcd's native resolution. If you run the game at a higher res, it will scale down and won't look bad. If you run a game at a lower res, it will usually stretch to fit. The more it has to stretch it, the worse it looks. So, unless you're trying to run a game (or windows) at 640x480 or 800x600 it should look fine. Also, I don't recommend a wide screen unless your cpu & vid card are pretty beefy otherwise you'll suffer from low frame rate.

My lcd is a 19" and runs at 1280x1024. HL2 & FEAR look great on it. Try to find an lcd that has a base that can tilt and turn. Most lcd's need viewed at a proper angle and should be at or slightly below eye level. If your vid card has a DVI connector, make sure the monitor has one too. It will look better than the analog connector.
T-Bone

[NME]Myth
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]Myth » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:33 pm

That's what I figured. Thanks for the info. :D
LET'S GO HOKIES!!!

[NME]SANDMAN
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]SANDMAN » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:20 am

I just bought a viewSonic LCD. It seems to be working just fine with games.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=1410

Cya

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:56 pm

[NME]SANDMAN wrote:I just bought a viewSonic LCD. It seems to be working just fine with games.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=1410

Cya
so, you running games at native 1680 x 1050 res? which vid card do you have? that's a lot of pixels to be pushin'.
T-Bone

[NME]SANDMAN
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]SANDMAN » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:07 pm

A evga 7800gt, Boat, had to remind me the other day. :D
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 814130256R

Cya

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:52 am

sweet! i have a leadtek 7800gtx. at least now i know it can handle games in wide format.
T-Bone

edm
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by edm » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:40 pm

I'm upgrading my 19" with a 22" WS This one here. Just ordered it from Buy.com who had it for $314 after rebate, so I pulled the trigger. Hopefully my x800xt can handle that resolution :o but i'll be upgrading soon anyway ;)

Sandman, have you played TFC with that monitor? just wondering if it supports widescreen?

btw, are any of you guys still playing somewhere together (tfc or other) I miss the old gang :( (where is TFC2 or FF????)

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:43 pm

nice monitor! ec1 has been down a while again, so my son & i just pick a random server or i'll start up a lan server so we can go head to head.

sandman just recently resigned from the clan, so dunno if he's still hangin out here either.

tf2 has been delayed until the end of the year. hopefully ff will be out soon.
T-Bone

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:17 pm

a few of us use xfire ( http://www.xfire.com/ )...mostly been playing bf2, but just to find/follow/ask anything else...

my xfire name is: nmeboat :cook:

edm
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by edm » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:21 pm

cool, i bought bf2 last month but havent installed it yet. maybe we can get together some time next week. are there any crowbars in bf2, or do you just hit people over the head with a shovel :D

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:25 pm

ha. the closest thing to a crowbar kill is either a knife kill, or a shockpaddle kill... :lol:

some other info in area57 if interested.

[NME]SANDMAN
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]SANDMAN » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:43 pm

edm wrote:I'm upgrading my 19" with a 22" WS This one here. Just ordered it from Buy.com who had it for $314 after rebate, so I pulled the trigger. Hopefully my x800xt can handle that resolution :o but i'll be upgrading soon anyway ;)

Sandman, have you played TFC with that monitor? just wondering if it supports widescreen?

btw, are any of you guys still playing somewhere together (tfc or other) I miss the old gang :( (where is TFC2 or FF????)

Yes i have, and it works real good with TFC, battlefield 2 and WoW. I'm pretty happy with this monitor.

[NME]Myth
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Re: Flat panel/LCD displays?

Post by [NME]Myth » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:43 pm

Despite my posts nearly a year ago I still haven't upgraded my monitor. I just got back from a quick trip looking at them and it looks like I almost have to go widescreen today based on store selection.

Would I have issues if I go with a 19" widescreen with my 6800GT card? I'm still kind of skeptical of the widescreen monitors as they apply to games. I am borrowing one from work right now and had a hell-a-time this morning trying to fix Half Life 2 after the screen wouldn't display it's own native resolution (1280 x 768). I had to blindly navigate the menus to push it back to 4:3 and of course that just looked like crap on this widescreen monitor since it was all stretched out.

So my options now are to go with widescreen or probably order through Dell on our work account. We have their 4:3 LCD's at work and they are pretty sharp.
LET'S GO HOKIES!!!

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:36 pm

i just got a 22in widescreen, and i havent run into any problems so far, except for bf2, which doesnt have a native widescreen resolution, so its a little stretched looking once i got it going, but its still playable.

problems with halflife 2? that has built0in support for widescreen...i think there's an option in video for 4:3 > 16:9...yeah, just checked...there's an "aspect ratio" that has 4:3, 16:9 and 16:10. i think alot of of the newer widescreens are a 16:10 ratio, which is what mine is. once you set the correct ratio, you should be able to select the resolution you need. think mine is 1680x1050. as far as 19in vs 22in, dont have any info/opinion on that...think they might use about the same resolution, but of course the 19 is smaller ;) :P

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:03 am

Hrmmm... I could have sworn that I read somewhere that 19" isn't true widescreen and you actually have less viewing area. If I find the relevent articles I'll post back with links. Also, you may need to turn down the eye candy in order to maintain the same fps you're currently getting. Dunno if that 6800 is good/fast enough to push out all those pixels at higher resolutions.
T-Bone