Flat panel/LCD displays?

A forum for discussing hardware related news, help, rumors, etc...

Moderators: boat, rickh

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:04 pm

ups standard ground doesn't move on weekends. ya gotta pay extra for that, sigh.

Darth DBII
Crusty Ole Barnacle
Crusty Ole Barnacle

Post by Darth DBII » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:00 pm

I have a Samsung SyncMaster912n 19 inches of beatuy!!!! Works great on some of my high GFX games. No bluring. I want to test it out on Doom 3, no wait Quake 4.

P.S. CGW has a great preview on Quake 4. It looks SWEET!!!!!
Few will follow you into death....few unless you go first.

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:06 am

well aint this some bullsnot...i try to hurry to sneak in before the may 31 50$ rebate deadline, and then they release a new 70$ rebate for purchase from 6/1 to 6/30!! wth!? :bad-words: and the icing on the cake, that i ordered/purchased it on 5/27, and wont be getting til today (6/2) at the earliest.... 0X :fist: :-? :x

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:24 am

hrmmm... mustn't be selling well if they threw in an extra 20 bux. just e-mail them. i'm sure they'll cover the diff or allow you the new rebate.

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:34 am

but who...the retailer (tigerdirect) or the manufacturer? the rebate specifically says bought between 6/1 and 6/30...anyhting before or after is invalid... :?

there is one peculiar thing about this monitor though...that newegg and chiefvalue, that had been carrying them, essentially dont have them anymore...its not like "out of stock" when u try to go to the old link, its like it disappearred from their inventory... :o :? ...unless of course they are sellin like hotcakes....or would it be retailers are trying to liquidate :?: er.

Dictator
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Dictator » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:38 am

boat wrote:well aint this some bullsnot...i try to hurry to sneak in before the may 31 50$ rebate deadline, and then they release a new 70$ rebate for purchase from 6/1 to 6/30!! wth!? :bad-words: and the icing on the cake, that i ordered/purchased it on 5/27, and wont be getting til today (6/2) at the earliest.... 0X :fist: :-? :x
Bummer. :-?
Give me liberty, or I may well give you death.

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:06 am

boat wrote:but who...the retailer (tigerdirect) or the manufacturer? the rebate specifically says bought between 6/1 and 6/30...anyhting before or after is invalid... :?

there is one peculiar thing about this monitor though...that newegg and chiefvalue, that had been carrying them, essentially dont have them anymore...its not like "out of stock" when u try to go to the old link, its like it disappearred from their inventory... :o :? ...unless of course they are sellin like hotcakes....or would it be retailers are trying to liquidate :?: er.
sounds like the manufacturer is going to discontinue the item soon. if this is the case, the retailers can make their own rebates in order to relieve their stock.

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:28 pm

but theres barely any info on da net about these monitors, as if they are new...they have all the workings of a typical 17in flatpanel, in that the dot pitch is like .264 vs .294 for usualy 19in ones, which is one of the things taht sold me...seemed like alot of the .294 monitors had blurry text, whereas the .264 were nice and crisp, which i wouldnt doubt, cause trinitrons typcially have no more than a .26 dot pitch. bah.

actually, i think its a manufacturer rebate and not a retailer rebate :? cause in the terms it mentions "Fujiplus's decision on eligible and validity are final." <shrug> oh well, either way it shold be all good...jsut kinda sux that they slipped in the 70$ rebate right after the 50$ one, especially since it literally shipped the day the 70$ one started :roll:

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:02 pm

confound them! :bad-words:

i'm writing this up as conspiracy theory number 368,276,127,205. :lol:

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:02 pm

welp. got it today :)

nice and bright and pretty sharp, but not quite as good as a crt imo, but that was expected, especially since ive just about always used a trinitron monitor...but its still pretty nice, especially in the fact that it takes up 2/3 less desktop space as my 19in trinitron :oops: :lol: :P havent gamed on it yet :?

oh - got my mp3 player plugged into the built-in speakers as well, so thats kinda nice :pbt: ;)

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:19 pm

a lil late, but another review for future reference.

edm
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by edm » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:14 pm

Nice monitor boat. Try any games yet? I read a bunch of reviews on the 17" inch model and they were all glowing. Any dead pixels? Anyway, congrats and enjoy the new monitor! :)

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:43 pm

well, its not quite as responsive and crisp as a crt, but i guess overall i like it...especially the space, power and heat savings :) i did a qwik run thru of hl2 to see how it fared, and it was a very good picture actually :D ive watched a coupla mpg's and some of the blacks seem to not contrast very well, but i dunno if thats some desktop setting, but i got tfc running fine/looking good, so im not too worried about that. only probably ive had with text is really tiny text on like 2 webpages <shrug>

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:08 pm

boat wrote: only probably ive had with text is really tiny text on like 2 webpages <shrug>
takes a lil getting used to 1280x1024. everything seems a bit smaller, but you can see more apps simultaneously.

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:34 am

everyhting seems a lil bit bigger actually, cause my desktop was running at 1280x1024 before :P ;) in that 1280x1024 on a 19in crt (18.x viewable) vs. 1280x1024 on a 19in lcd (19in viewable) :? i think trinitrons typically have like a .25 dot pitch, whereas this lcd has a .264 dot pitch...which was really one of the selling points for me, because most of the other/typcical 19in lcd's sport a .294 dot pitch, and dot pitch from what i understand is what determines how sharp/crisp the image is..especially things like text:? 17in typically had .264, and it seemed like the 20in and above had pitches smaller than .264...but once you go bigger than 19in, you go bigger in $$$ too... :?

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:53 am

Benq today said that it will ship its new FP202W LCD in the fourth quarter of this year. With a response time of 8 ms, the display is the world's fastest 20-inch wide-screen LCD, the company claims. Other specifications include a maximum resolution of 1680x1050 pixel, and a 600:1 contrast ratio. According to the company, the wide-screen design allows the user to "comfortably" read two pages of text side-by-side. At the same time, this format preserves the display of content such as DVD movies and games in their original format without cropping or compression, Benq said. There was no pricing information for the FP202W available. (THG)
T-Bone

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos
will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:43 pm

[NME]T-Bone wrote:Benq today said that it will ship its new FP202W LCD in the fourth quarter of this year. With a response time of 8 ms, the display is the world's fastest 20-inch wide-screen LCD, the company claims. Other specifications include a maximum resolution of 1680x1050 pixel, and a 600:1 contrast ratio. According to the company, the wide-screen design allows the user to "comfortably" read two pages of text side-by-side. At the same time, this format preserves the display of content such as DVD movies and games in their original format without cropping or compression, Benq said. There was no pricing information for the FP202W available. (THG)
dell was actually running some specials a while back on their like of 20in widescreens...could be had for around 400-450$ish i beleeb...think regualr was maybe in the 700's...thats what kinda sparked my flatpanel interest a while back :P ...dunno how the specs compare though. one main factor i shose the "regular" ratio was lack of widescreen support, so i didnt want to have to run my games stretched out or with the sides black or anything hub-bub like that :drinking:

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:52 pm

ya, widescreen kinda sucks for games, but they rock for a normal desktop environment and for watching movies. ;)
T-Bone

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos
will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:53 pm

ohyeah, got this in tigerdirect email the other day...same fp i got, cept alot cheaper (199$ after rebates)...

linky

in case anyone was interested :P ;)

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:37 pm

woooo..... looky!