My new PC

A forum for discussing hardware related news, help, rumors, etc...

Moderators: boat, rickh

Paradroid
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

My new PC

Post by Paradroid » Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:40 pm

Well, i finally started building my new PC. The PC that will be able to run HL2. But since i know very little about the hardware these days, i'm gonna need some help from you guys. I would appreciate it.

I already bought a cool computer case, and a 19" monitor. But like what sorta mainboard should i get. Or what processor and video card.
Or if you have bad experiences with a certain type or brand, then maybe you can tell me what NOT to get....
Then the main question is always "What do you want to do with this computer?"
Well i'm building it for HL2. So that determines the maximum system requirement.
I hope to hear from you soon.

:type:
Parad®σιd

Darth DBII
Crusty Ole Barnacle
Crusty Ole Barnacle

Post by Darth DBII » Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:46 pm

i psersonaly like Nivda Gfxs cards (i use a geforce something i think) i cant rember, :oops: well good luck building ur PC
Few will follow you into death....few unless you go first.

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:16 pm

im partial to nvidia cards too, though the nvidia and ati seem to be neck and neck right now...though i have heard that hl2 favors ati supposedly <shrug>.

as far as cpu/mb, im partial to amd...cant beat their price/performance ratio. if u do get amd, probably best to get socket 939, which is the latest offering and would give u room to expand/upgrade in the futre, whereas the 754 is the predecessor to 939, and being phased out...which in turn makes hte parts cheaper...so you would have to deciede cost vs upgradability. since its a machine for everyday use, and more inportantly, gaming, then imo upgradability would win out. ;)

cant speak for intel, cept that they cost more :P

as far as peripherals, alot of mb's out now have decent onboard implimentations of ethernet and audio, so you could knock 3 things out in one swoop. as always, u cant go wrong with the mainstream manufacturers...asus, abit, etc.

oh - i would probalby shoot for a gig of ram if possible, at least 512MB...more memory hardly ever hurts :P (unless ur running an older os :-? )

and dvd-r/rw (even dual layer) are pretty cheap right now, and can burn cd's as well, so it would only make sense to only have to get one of those drives (as opposed to like getting a cd-r drive, dvd-rom, etc)

[NME]Myth
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]Myth » Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:28 pm

And shell out the big bucks on the video card so you can get sweet water effects like this pic. :D When I upgraded last fall I went for the GeForce 6800 GT and it is very nice. boat has one of these too I believe. I guess it all depends on your budget though.

If you go through websites such as pricewatch make sure to read about the business before buying something. Some of them do not have very glowing reviews. I got most of my stuff from TigerDirect.com which I had no problem with.
Attachments
d1_canals_010001.jpg
Oooooooooooooo!
LET'S GO HOKIES!!!

Dictator
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Dictator » Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:37 pm

When you go to pricewatch.com Make sure you click on International Sales. Hope it's not too expensive to buy from overseas.
Give me liberty, or I may well give you death.

Paradroid
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Paradroid » Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:04 pm

Dictator wrote:When you go to pricewatch.com Make sure you click on International Sales. Hope it's not too expensive to buy from overseas.

Well things ARE cheaper over there, if i look on pricewatch.com. But then with shipping&handling costs, it will end up more expensive anyway. So i decided to order all parts from this side of the pond.

One question about memory. What's the difference between DDR and SDRAM, and which do i need?
And what about the frequency, is it just the higher the better? Or do certain motherboards need a certain memory speed?
Parad®σιd

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:05 pm

most newer boards use ddr memory. you will need to check the mobo specs to see what kind of memory it allows. they now have ddr, ddr2, ddr3, and ddr4 is on the way if not already here. all approved ram will meet the minimum specs for their type of memory. the only time you need to worry about frequency is if you plan on oc'ing your memory.

Paradroid
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Paradroid » Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:47 pm

Okay, i decided to go for the 754 socket afterall. Because the 939 processors are so much more expensive. And i figured; the time when i want to upgrade will probably be so long from now (knowing myself), that the 939 will be outdated too. I will just keep this PC so long, that everything in it will be outdated and ancient. Just like i did with my last PC.

Right now i got this selected :

Motherboard : ASUS K8V Deluxe
Processor : AMD Athlon64 3000+

i'm about to order this, so please let me know if this is a good idea, or that i need to pay attention to compatibility with other hardware. Thanks.
Parad®σιd

Paradroid
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Paradroid » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:36 pm

Hey everybody,
i'm gonna have to put this computer project on hold AGAIN, due to some financial set-backs.
But thanks a lot for the help and information about hardware. I'll let you know when i will pick it up again.
Parad®σιd

Darth DBII
Crusty Ole Barnacle
Crusty Ole Barnacle

Post by Darth DBII » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:47 pm

hope you eventually finish it, for my PC i just bought a Altec Lansing AHS 202 they are aswome and are better then my speakers...
Few will follow you into death....few unless you go first.

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:45 pm

heres a socket a system on the cheap (99$ after rebates) if u need something to hold u over, and/or if anyone is looking for something similar...

tiger direct socket a combo

150$ in rebates though, if u dont mind rebates... :P (dunno how/if that would work out overseas though :? )

KaptainSkitzo
Ole Barnacle
Ole Barnacle

Post by KaptainSkitzo » Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:47 pm

He could always use someone here in the States' address for those rebates. His name, a volenteer's address, just ship the rebate check out when it arrives.
I'm sure there is someone on here he can trust with that.
"There are thousands of people out there who say I am *NOT* right in the head. There are thousands more out there who say I *AM* right in the head. The funny thing is, they all make these claims for the SAME REASONS!"
-Me.

Paradroid
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Paradroid » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:09 pm

That WAS a pretty good deal for someone else i know actually....
Too bad it's no longer available.
I think i'm still going for the Athlon64 processor, once i'm out of debt.... :roll:
Parad®σιd

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:25 pm

Just built this one over Christmas.

mobo: msi k8n neo4 platinum
processor: amd A64 x2 4400+ dual core
case: antec sonota ii case w/ antec true power 450w ps
hard drives: 2 wd Caviar SE16 250g sata-ii 300mb/s in raid 1 array
video: leadtek nvidia 7800gtx w/ oc'd bios.
memory: ocz 2gig (2x1024) dual channel ddr400 memory.
headphones: logitech premium sound headphones.
speakers: logitech x-530 140w(total) speakers
mouse: logitech mx518 gaming mouse
keyboard: saitek eclipse

i'm using onboard audio for now. it seems to work great in everything except tfc & dod where sounds seem muffled and flat - not sure why. winamp and newer games sound great. i'll post pics of the build once i figure how to make a decent html page.
T-Bone

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos
will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."