Gaming Headsets

A forum for discussing hardware related news, help, rumors, etc...

Moderators: boat, rickh

Cochise
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Gaming Headsets

Post by Cochise » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:51 am

Do any of you use a headset for TFC or other games? I was looking at a few and noticed that some have a mute switch. I was wondering if the mute just mutes the headset or if it also sends the sounds back through the default speaker system. My main concern was do you have to plug and unplug the headset each time you want to use it or if there is a way that you can switch between headset and speakers so that you do not have to pull the pc out and plug it in the back each time.

I usually play TFC with the volume set low since my kids room sits right above the computer room and I don't want to wake them up with all the kabooms. The only drawback is a lot of times I do not hear what the other players are saying and I thought with a headset that I can enjoy the full loud effects.

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:34 am

the mute switch is just for the mic. as for being able to easily switch between speakers/headset, dunno of any kinda 'box' solutions, ie, hit a button for headset, hit another for speakers...if u want a quick and cheap 'ghetto' solution, you could go to radioshack and find an extension for the 1/8" stereo jack (if they have it), and place it so u dont need to crawl behind the computer, just switch jacks accordingly...plug the headset into the extension when wanna use headset and plug in speaker jack into extension when wanting to use the speakers...though u might have to pick up another extension for the mic jack too, since it would essentially make the headset jack farther away from the back of the puter (like, one short sleeve, one long sleeve) :oops: :P

:)

Cochise
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Cochise » Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:27 pm

boat wrote:the mute switch is just for the mic. as for being able to easily switch between speakers/headset, dunno of any kinda 'box' solutions, ie, hit a button for headset, hit another for speakers...if u want a quick and cheap 'ghetto' solution, you could go to radioshack and find an extension for the 1/8" stereo jack (if they have it), and place it so u dont need to crawl behind the computer, just switch jacks accordingly...plug the headset into the extension when wanna use headset and plug in speaker jack into extension when wanting to use the speakers...though u might have to pick up another extension for the mic jack too, since it would essentially make the headset jack farther away from the back of the puter (like, one short sleeve, one long sleeve) :oops: :P

:)
Sounds like an idea to me. I do not even use the mic except for tfc so going back and forth between the speakers and headset will not be a problem I guess. I will have to take a stroll down to the shack and check out the adaptors and such and like you said, if I bring up the extensions from behind the desk and maybe just tape them into place, I can just connect and disconnect from above without having to pull the pc out each time. If the headset works good enough, maybe I can hear Kumite sneaking up behind me with his knife. :lol:

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:56 pm

You need this!!!!!!

http://www.frontx.com

Not only will it cut out the speakers when you plug the headset in, but it will move whatever ports you want to the front of the case for convenient access AND cover that 5-1/4 hole that Emilia keeps tossing cd's & stuff into. :lol:

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:26 pm

[NME]T-Bone wrote:You need this!!!!!!

http://www.frontx.com

Not only will it cut out the speakers when you plug the headset in, but it will move whatever ports you want to the front of the case for convenient access AND cover that 5-1/4 hole that Emilia keeps tossing cd's & stuff into. :lol:
oh yeah - i keep forgetting about those front slot extensions/adaptors :oops: :lol: :P hell, u can pick those up at like compusa and stuff...probably even radioshack :oops: :D gj boner :P

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:24 pm

:P :P :P :no:

FrontX is the only one I know of that's modular which allows you to move only the ports you need to the front. You can start off with the audio jacks and later add usb or whatever you need.

Cochise
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Cochise » Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:29 pm

Good job guys!!! :D This will me some ideas to play with. T, you should take a digital photo of the front of my pc so we can show Boat one of the many uses duct-tape has.

What happened Boat is that T-Bones old pc case was the old style Gateway's that has the rounded front panel. When I bought my cd-rom drive, I could only find the flush/flat style kind so when we installed it, the cd drawer was not exposed all the way out to where you could insert a cd. We then had to install the drive in one of the lower bays leaving the original one open. Later on I noticed that little by little, my cd's and floppies started disappearing until one day my 1 year old daughter came in and she wanted one of my cd's. To amuse her I gave her an old floppy disk instead, and she walked over to the pc and threw it in the open slot. I stood there amazed because she had the right idea but just put it in the wrong slot and I did not expect a one year old to know what to do with it. When I went to fish it out, I recovered about 3 other floppies and about 6 cd's. To keep her from doing this again, I put a piece of duct tape over the opening and its been like that since.

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:40 pm

:lol: :lol:

well, i guess its now safe to say that if it came down to it, my ghetto radioshack solution wouldnt be a problem :lol: :oops: :P ;)

Cochise
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Cochise » Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:10 am

boat wrote::lol: :lol:

well, i guess its now safe to say that if it came down to it, my ghetto radioshack solution wouldnt be a problem :lol: :oops: :P ;)
Nope, not at all. In fact, when T-Bone first saw it he said, "What the heck is that, a redneck pc!" ;) I just took the duct tape off. Maybe my littleone will forget about it. I don't mind having the cd rom port and floppy drive port exposed like that because it does allow more heat to escape from inside the pc.

Dictator
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Dictator » Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:54 am

Cochise wrote:Good job guys!!! :D This will me some ideas to play with. T, you should take a digital photo of the front of my pc so we can show Boat one of the many uses duct-tape has.

What happened Boat is that T-Bones old pc case was the old style Gateway's that has the rounded front panel. When I bought my cd-rom drive, I could only find the flush/flat style kind so when we installed it, the cd drawer was not exposed all the way out to where you could insert a cd. We then had to install the drive in one of the lower bays leaving the original one open. Later on I noticed that little by little, my cd's and floppies started disappearing until one day my 1 year old daughter came in and she wanted one of my cd's. To amuse her I gave her an old floppy disk instead, and she walked over to the pc and threw it in the open slot. I stood there amazed because she had the right idea but just put it in the wrong slot and I did not expect a one year old to know what to do with it. When I went to fish it out, I recovered about 3 other floppies and about 6 cd's. To keep her from doing this again, I put a piece of duct tape over the opening and its been like that since.
lol. That's funny. Maybe few more years and your daughter would know more about computers than you. :roll: :P

Just kidding. :lol: :oops:

Cochise
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Cochise » Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:48 pm

Dictator wrote:
Cochise wrote:Good job guys!!! :D This will me some ideas to play with. T, you should take a digital photo of the front of my pc so we can show Boat one of the many uses duct-tape has.

lol. That's funny. Maybe few more years and your daughter would know more about computers than you. :roll: :P

Just kidding. :lol: :oops:
You might be right Dictator, or on the hand, she might turn into Puppet JR and kick both our butts in TFC.

Dictator
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Dictator » Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:27 pm

Cochise wrote:You might be right Dictator, or on the hand, she might turn into Puppet JR and kick both our butts in TFC.
Err, you speak for yourself. I ain't gonna let anybody named Puppet kick my butt in TFC! :twisted: :P

Puppet
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Puppet » Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:27 am

Dictator wrote:
Cochise wrote:You might be right Dictator, or on the hand, she might turn into Puppet JR and kick both our butts in TFC.
Err, you speak for yourself. I ain't gonna let anybody named Puppet kick my butt in TFC! :twisted: :P
:lolup: just wait .... :lolup: :tongue:
Puppet

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut the ***** up with cookies