dual core hints/tips/tweaks?

A forum for discussing hardware related news, help, rumors, etc...

Moderators: boat, rickh

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

dual core hints/tips/tweaks?

Post by boat » Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:14 am

welp, bopat finally bit and upgraded his chit.

so now im sitting on a amd 5600 x2, nvidia 8800gts 640M, 3G ram, creative x-fi xtreme gamer, winders xp.

i was getting some random connection losses with bf2 the day after i got things a werkin, and after a lil research, i think i narrowed the problem down to application affinity, where i have to load the game, alt-tab out, bring up the task manager, rightclick on the app, go to "affinity..." and set it to use only one core/processor :roll:

i remember a blurb or two from you other knobs with dual cores, but instead of trying to sift thru the posts, i figured i'd try to consolodate any tips/tricks/patches/etc to one thread...so what ya got? :pbt:

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Re: dual core hints/tips/tweaks?

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:29 am

welp, xp has a dual core patch which pertains to both intel & amd. amd has a dual core patch plus a dual core optimizer. but 1st i'd start with adding the /usepmtimer command to your boot.ini file. find the line that looks like this and add the flag. don't change anything else on the line.

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /usepmtimer /NoExecute=OptOut
T-Bone

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos
will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:02 am

well i came across a few other forums posts about dual-core optimizations, and there were a few patches/drivers recommended to nab. the one m$ hotfix was sorta hard to get because apparently you have to call m$ and they get you the link? :?: then there was one, maybe 2 amd drivers/patches? i have the links at home, ill post em later.

anyhoo, seemed like the /usepmtimer flag was used after one of the other patches? are you using all 3 of the patches/fixes/drivers? everything works ok? no need to alt-tab on anything to set the affinity?

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:41 pm

The /usepmtimer switch fixed a multitude of problems. In fact, the amd patch adds this switch to your boot.ini along with some .dll file. I installed the m$ patch because, well, it was an os patch. You can find versions of this online w/o having to call m$. I may still even have a copy of it. If you d/l it, right-click it and select properties. It should be digitally signed by m$. If it's not signed, it's bogus.

I don't think I ever istalled the amd patch. I did install the optimizer at one point, but winbloze seemed to run better without it so i uninstalled it.

In short, if everything is working ok, then don't bother trying to fix it. I'd say put in the /usepmtimer switch and install the m$ patch and see how it goes.
T-Bone

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:03 pm

well having to alt-tab out of bf2 to sett he affinity is getting annoying, so its not working 100% as desired, thus my search for dual core fixes :P

the windows hotfix i was finally able to track down is digitally signed by m$, the filename is WindowsXP-KB896256-v4-x86-ENU.exe which i assume is the latest version (alot of forums were posting different version, 3 vs 4 etc). which i believe to be from here.

here's the amd x2 software page...

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/Tec ... 18,00.html

so which of the amd patches/drivers do i need for the /usepmtimer switch? that switch is always available and the amd patch just adds it to the commandline for you? i was under the impression that the patch actually made that available...maybe i read it wrong and that installing it just adds that you the boot.ini line :?:

so...no patches, just the m$ hotfix and the /usepmtimer to the boot.ini?

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:25 pm

the amd patch was ~5 meg. installing it will install a dll file and add the /usepmtimer to your boot.ini. If it detects the /usepmtimer switch, it will leave your boot.ini file alone. i initially added the /usepmtimer switch myself because amd had not released the patch yet. if you are uncomfortable installing the amd patch, either add the /usepmtimer switch manually or create a restore point before installing the patch.

the switch is always available and althou m$ says it's for C&Q, it also effects windows with C&Q disabled.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/895980

it is listed as AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Version (x86 and x64 exe) 1.3.2.16
T-Bone

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:06 pm

well i added the /usepmtimer today and went a whole nite of bf2 without a hitch <knock on wood>, so hopefully that cleared that connection problem up (unless it was something else). guess ill hold off on the hotfix or any other patches/drivers until i run into any problems...find out which hotfix it was by any chance? the one i named?

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:35 am

boat wrote:find out which hotfix it was by any chance? the one i named?
:?:

the m$ patch? the one i used is WindowsXP-KB896256-v3-x86-ENU.exe that i d/l'd on 1/3/06. so, looks like i got v3 & you got v4.
T-Bone

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:00 pm

still werkin' good? like i said, the /usepmtimer switch fixed 99% of the problems i was having.
T-Bone

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:07 pm

yeppers, seems to be, thanks. still havent gotten around to installing that xp hotfix :oops: :P