Advice on building a new computer

A forum for discussing hardware related news, help, rumors, etc...

Moderators: boat, rickh

Dictator
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Advice on building a new computer

Post by Dictator » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:20 am

Hi Guys,

Looks like my 6 years old computer is running on fumes. Ran into some problems with my PC last night and still not sure why it's not working. I think it's either m/b battery or Power supply. I will try to fix it sometime soon. My PC's specs is 2 GHz P4, 80 GB harddrive, 2x 512 MB RAM, and 256 MB Geforce GT6800 (AGP)

I decided that it's time for me to build a new PC. I checked pricewatch.com. Boy, guess I'm way behind with computer hardware in market.

I'm looking at Pentium's Dual Core. Any good? Probably will like to have new video card, PCI-E since they are supposedly better than AGP. Is SATA Harddrive now in mainstream? Any recommend on what type of case to buy? I don't mind to have a case like Shuttle.

Don't care about sound card. I already have new flat montior and probably will buy another one to have dual monitors. :twisted:

On operating System, should I get 64 Bit? XP or Vista? Will it run fine with common software applications today?
Give me liberty, or I may well give you death.

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:31 am

dual core cpu's and sata hd's are mainstream as well as ddr2 ram. currently c2d cpu's reign in the mid to high end cpu's. amd just dropped their prices AGAIN!!! their low end dual cores can't be beat for price/performance.

all new cpu's require ddr2 ram and the mobo's for them are all pci-e and you'll be lucky if you can find one with even just one ide channel on it.

from everything i've read, if your a big gamer, xp is the way to go. vista still has performance problems and requires lots of ram. it's also still a problem finding 64 bit drivers for legacy devices and vista will only install signed drivers.

don't let cpu speed scare ya when it comes to dual cores. i have a p4 2ghz and a amd x2 4400+ (2.2ghz) and it blows my p4 away.
T-Bone

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos
will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:04 am

what boner said.

while ive been an amd guy, those new intel core 2 duos seem to be leading the pack in price and performance :? supposedly amd and intel are having some price cuts this month, so you might wanna watch throughout april once the new products come out and prices hopefully drop more (rumored-ly up to 40% in some cases :P )

dont even think about agp...agp motherboards and video cards are slim pickings as theyre pretty much phased out.

no sound card? are you crazy!? :pbt: ;)

i probably would get at least 2G of memory if you can afford it. and as boner said, ide's seem to be getting phased otu as well...most mb's ive researched recently only had one ide connection, if that...but like 8 sata connections.

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:26 am

2g of ram is fast becoming mainstream, especially w/ vista and it's ready boost feature.

i think the only reason for an ide is because some mobo's seem to have problems with booting from a sata optical drive which makes it impossible to install the os. catch 22 - need drivers to read sata optical, need an os to install drivers. hopefully most newer mobos have fixed their bios.
T-Bone

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:38 am

Price cut

That was last week. As boat said, AMD is supposed to have another cut in the next 2 weeks followed by Intel.

Jan'06 you couldn't even touch a dual core for less than $350-$400.
T-Bone

Dictator
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Dictator » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:13 pm

Thanks, guys.

I might go for Intel Dual Core. Last time I had AMD, it got fried, but that was several years ago. I dunno if they still run hot.

I primarly use my pc for:
Daily uses (browser, im, email),
Development (database, programming, web, and photoshop on occasion),
Office stuff (but I guess I won't use it much since I'm finished with college.) ;)
Games (usually play tactic/strategy games, but I do still have TFC & HL2).

What about chipset on motherboards? What are good ones on market now? I like Asus motherboards the best.

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:45 pm

AMD's now have an on die temp sensor to prevent frying. C2D's are great cpu's and overclock like banshee's, not that you need to OC them.

If you go intel, I'd stick with an Intel chipset. I'm not up to speed on their chipsets, but I think the 975/985 is their top performer. AMD, go with the nvidia 650 or 680i chipset.
T-Bone

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:28 pm

p.s.

at home i have an amd x2 4400+ (older socket 939) 2.2ghz oc'd to 2.4ghz. at work i have a c2d e6600 stock 2.4ghz.

other than benchmarks, i really don't notice any difference. i'd love to be able to install a few games at work just to see how well it handles it. ;)
T-Bone

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:50 pm

...just a small steam client d/l, login, download/install corresponding games, el fin... :P ;)

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:47 am

jeebus, wonder what prices will be like after this month's price cut.

http://www.techreport.com/onearticle.x/12099

http://www.ewiz.com/query.php?dp=2&cate ... displaytop

$118 - x2 4600 fuggincredible!
T-Bone

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:55 am

boat wrote:...just a small steam client d/l, login, download/install corresponding games, el fin... :P ;)
umm... all our machines run xp's state change program. we know everything from system restores, patches, to add/remove programs. that way when some jackass says there machine started acting funky for no apparent reason and claim not to have installed/removed any software we can bust'em. :P
Attachments
StateChange1.jpg
StateChange2.jpg
T-Bone

Dictator
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Dictator » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:10 am

[NME]T-Bone wrote:jeebus, wonder what prices will be like after this month's price cut.

Wow, nice.

I was checking asus.com for motherboards that support AMD like above. I see there are few different types of motherboard for different AMD. The one in the link is AM2. What type of AMD do you recommend?

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:47 am

[NME]T-Bone wrote:
boat wrote:...just a small steam client d/l, login, download/install corresponding games, el fin... :P ;)
umm... all our machines run xp's state change program. we know everything from system restores, patches, to add/remove programs. that way when some jackass says there machine started acting funky for no apparent reason and claim not to have installed/removed any software we can bust'em. :P
aint you an admin? ...youre merely testing software compatibility for some of your apps, yeahhh... :look3: :P ;)

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:51 am

Dictator wrote: Wow, nice.

I was checking asus.com for motherboards that support AMD like above. I see there are few different types of motherboard for different AMD. The one in the link is AM2. What type of AMD do you recommend?
definitely an AM2. AM2 is just the socket type, so its an AM2 vs 939...and the 939's are effectively end-of-life. downside with AM2 is that it uses DDR2 memory, so you wont be able to re-use "plain" DDR (if you had some to re-use), so that youll have to re-propagate your ram :? ...thats whats gonna hit bopat below the belt...my 3G of DDR that ill have to redo once i upgrade to a new socket :cry: :P

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:55 am

Dictator wrote:
[NME]T-Bone wrote:jeebus, wonder what prices will be like after this month's price cut.

Wow, nice.

AM2 is amd's newest socket. Socket 939 is dead. You may still find some s939 mobos/cpu's, but there is no upgrade path. AM2 runs all the new cpu's and is supposed to run amd's quad cores when released
T-Bone

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:37 am

sorta speaking of which, apple just announced availability of 8 core systems (dual quad-core xeons) :pbt: ...granted, 3997$ minimally spec'd, over 10K$ fully equipped... :? :P

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:58 am

They should wait... think i recently read that intel is making a 8 core cpu. They'll be packaging two quad cores in a single package/cpu just like they created dual cores by slapping two c2d's into one package. they are waiting for the next die shrink to 45nm.

amd went a different route. their quad core is 4 cores in a single package instead of two dual cores sandwiched together. for some reason they decided to make their 8 core cpu's using intels method of just sandwiching two quad cores into a single package.
T-Bone

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:54 am

some more pricecut talk...

"AMD's Price cuts went into effect today;
http://www.digitimes.com/systems/a20070409VL203.html

Some chips are down by nearly 50%:

Athlon 64 FX-74 (quad) 999/pair Feb9 - 799/pair Apr9
Athlon 64 FX-72 (quad) 799/pair Feb9 - 599/pair Apr9
Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 464 Feb9 - 241 Apr9
Athlon 64 X2 5600+ 326 Feb9 - 188 Apr9

And if your strapped for cash, you can now get the entry level X2 for under $105

Athlon 64 X2 4000+ 144 Feb9 - 104 Apr9
Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 113 Feb9 - 83 Apr9
Athlon 64 X2 3600+ 102 Feb9 - 73 Apr9

Dont believe the prices are reflected on newegg yet

Nvidia will be releasing their mid range cards (90-220$) around the 17th, though initial numbers do not reflect the same dominating dx9 power of the 8800 line:
http://www.digitimes.com/systems/a20070409VL203.html
http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/vi ... =3&id=2231
http://vr-zone.com/?i=4883&s=2

Intel should be dropping prices the 22nd and hopefully we will finally get a look at the ATI/AMD 2x00 cards by the end of the month
"

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Wed May 02, 2007 1:24 pm

Anyone looking to upgrade their vid card and get hl2:ep2 for free

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?optio ... 2&Itemid=1

...and now tf2 & portal too. ;)

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?optio ... 4&Itemid=1
T-Bone

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Wed May 02, 2007 1:40 pm

well i should hope theyd have all 3 games, seeings as though tf2 and portal are spose to be 'bundled' with hl2:ep2 anyhow :o :P

that certainly puts some, such as myself, in a predicament, as ive been somewhat of an nvidia fan/loyalist over the years... :-? :P