Headsets

A forum for discussing hardware related news, help, rumors, etc...

Moderators: boat, rickh

[NME]SANDMAN
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Headsets

Post by [NME]SANDMAN » Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:53 pm

I've been looking for a good head set to replace the one i have now, any suggestions?

I use on board sound that comes with most MB's and connect my head set via usb. Is there any advantages sound wise connecting to a good sound card opposed to connecting to your MB sound thru usb?

Thanks,
C-ya

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:55 pm

I use my onboard/mobo audio too, however i hook my headphones in via my cases front side headphone jack, not via usb. my front side mic/headphones connect onto a mobo header. i dunno how a usb headset sounds. never used one, but my front side jacks sound almost as good as my soundblaster card that i have in my other computer.

i wouldn't think headset would make too much diff. Now a good set of speakers hooked into a sound card sounds much better then mobo sound.
T-Bone

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos
will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:30 pm

i think usb headphones bypass any soundcard all together. ive always had a preference for the soundcard jack/plug kind. ie, if you have the latest and greatest soundcard and you use usb headphones, you wont be using that fandangled soundcard at all...or at least that my impression of how usb headsets work, so correct me if im wrong :oops: :P ;)

as far as headsets themselves...all ive really had are these 20$ plantronics that have been suiting me just fine ;) theyre a light on the ear kind, so i can sitll hear ambient noise around me (which i prefer). then theres the over the ear and sealed kind that cup your ears and reduce ambient noise, giving you a better soundstage.

:pbt:

[NME]Myth
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]Myth » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:03 am

I got this one a couple of years ago and like them a lot. They are USB and sound fine to me. I don't have a soundcard though. I'm not a big audiophile.
LET'S GO HOKIES!!!

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:51 am

I've got the logitech headset. They sound good, but can make your ears a lil warm after a few hours of play. They make an open ear gaming set too.
T-Bone

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos
will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

[NME]SANDMAN
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]SANDMAN » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:33 pm

Thanks for everyones input......I guess i'll start with a good sound card and a logitech headset.