AMD Dual-Core Optimizer Patch

A forum for discussing hardware related news, help, rumors, etc...

Moderators: boat, rickh

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

AMD Dual-Core Optimizer Patch

Post by boat » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:28 pm

a little diddy for you dual-core dorks, courtesy hardocp...: :P

If you are an AMD dual core CPU owner I recommend you download and install this AMD Dual-Core Optimizer patch. The 5MB patch can help improve PC gaming video performance by compensating for those applications that use the Read Time Stamp Counter.

The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer can help improve some PC gaming video performance by compensating for those applications that bypass the Windows API for timing by directly using the RDTSC (Read Time Stamp Counter) instruction. Applications that rely on RDTSC do not benefit from the logic in the operating system to properly account for the affect of power management mechanisms on the rate at which a processor core's Time Stamp Counter (TSC) is incremented. The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer helps to correct the resulting video performance effects or other incorrect timing effects that these applications may experience on dual-core or multiple processor systems.

:drinking:

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:34 pm

argh, you beat me too it. i just installed it a couple days ago. very few games actually need this patch as the /usepmtimer in your boot.ini will fix 99% of your dual core issues. this patch actually checks for the /usepmtimer switch and adds it if it doesn't already exist. i'm not sure what the other 5 meg is used for. :?:
T-Bone

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos
will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."