Sound Card

A forum for discussing hardware related news, help, rumors, etc...

Moderators: boat, rickh

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Sound Card

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Wed May 17, 2006 9:04 am

If anyone is lookin' to buy a new sound card, Buy.com currently has a Creative Audigy 2ZS Platinum for $70 after a $100 MIR and free shipping!!! Good until 6/30.

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Thu May 18, 2006 7:51 pm

Anyone know of a sound card that has front panel headers? Not the kind for drive bay panels, but for front side case jacks.

Most of the ones I've seen list all the proprietary pin formats (designed for the bay panels) and you have to wire up your own connector. I don't want that. It simply needs to work with your standard case connector.

I really miss having the quality sound of a sound card, but I don't want to give up the convenience of my front side mic & headphone jacks.

I still use my older computer to listen to music because it sounds way better on it's old soundblaster x-gamer card (not the 5.1 model) and my digital fps2000 4.1 speakers that are 7 years old. It's also easier to distinguish the location of footsteps on my sblive even though the onboard audio on my newer machine supports EAX 2.0.
T-Bone

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos
will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Thu May 18, 2006 9:07 pm

theres a soundblaster model that has a front 5.25 bay panel...dunno bout any cards with just headers though :?

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Thu May 18, 2006 10:03 pm

yeah, but why pay an extra $25+ for a panel that eats up a 5.25 bay when the case connectors are free and don't take up any additional space?

you would think that since most cases now come with frontside ports/jacks that more companies would make cards with standard headers... then again, they'd lose out on the extra cash for buying the 5.25 panel, sigh.

been looking at the x-mystique and the tb montego ddl. i've always had creative cards, lookin for something different.
T-Bone

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos
will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

Cobra
Crusty Ole Barnacle
Crusty Ole Barnacle

Post by Cobra » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:33 pm

Well after having a old SB Live card for ever and ever I finally bought a SB Audigy 2 Platinum Pro last week. Getting it this coming wednesday.
Its overkill, but I wasn't going to pay the price for the new XFi's

I ended up paying $120 at Compuvest. Which is good considering they get this much for refurbs on EBay from Creative Labs.
I told them about this card and thay said why not buy from them so I would have a warranty with them.

Well duh. This one is "NEW" in a oem box.

http://www.compuvest.com/Description.jsp?iid=382914