64bit

A forum for discussing hardware related news, help, rumors, etc...

Moderators: boat, rickh

[NME]SANDMAN
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

64bit

Post by [NME]SANDMAN » Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:41 pm

Hey Gang,

I just bought an Evga motherboard and Amd 3500 64 bit cpu. I haven't bought the o/s for the 64 bit stuff yet, and i wanted to know, when you install windows xp will the o/s downsize the 64bit cpu to 32 bit for you?
Or does the O/s just recognize 32 bit,and only utilizes half the cpu's potential, and you do nothing?

Has anyone bought windows xp 64 bit o/s yet? I was curious if there was any problems getting drivers, or the lack of drivers available?

Thanks

Grummun
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Re: 64bit

Post by Grummun » Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:54 pm

[NME]SANDMAN wrote:Hey Gang,

I just bought an Evga motherboard and Amd 3500 64 bit cpu. I haven't bought the o/s for the 64 bit stuff yet, and i wanted to know, when you install windows xp will the o/s downsize the 64bit cpu to 32 bit for you?
Or does the O/s just recognize 32 bit,and only utilizes half the cpu's potential, and you do nothing?

Has anyone bought windows xp 64 bit o/s yet? I was curious if there was any problems getting drivers, or the lack of drivers available?

Thanks
Plain ol' XP runs just fine on A64 cpus; it just doesn't use any of the 64 bit instructions. Can't say anything about 64-bit XP; I don't know anything about it, though drivers for it appear to be becoming more common (noticed them when I was fishing around for puny 32-bit drivers).

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:38 am

Yep, more 64 bit drivers are coming out every day. from what I've read most of the drivers are very mature yet so they may be a lil flaky. I've also read that XP64 has some performance issues with 32 bit apps/games.

Then again, I've heard rumors that Vista will be 64 bit only so it's just a matter of time before 64 bit processors become mainstream.
T-Bone

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos
will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

[NME]SANDMAN
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]SANDMAN » Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:49 pm

I've got everything up and running now. This is gonna be a pretty nice box when i'm thru with it. I installed EVGA Nforce4 SLI edition motherboard, 64bit athlon 3500 cpu, EVGA e-geforce 7800 GT PCI-E video card, gig of ram and IDE HD and I'll get windows xp 64 bit o/s and a 10k rpm HD for Christmas. It should realy be smokin then.

Thanks for your help