Connecting a router?

A forum for discussing hardware related news, help, rumors, etc...

Moderators: boat, rickh

Cobra
Crusty Ole Barnacle
Crusty Ole Barnacle

Connecting a router?

Post by Cobra » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:40 pm

I had this thing working once and took it out now Im trying to get it back in.

Its a Linksys WRT54G and Im trying to get it to see the cable modem.
I know what my IP, Subnet, Gate, DNS is buy looking at the connection status.
Or running cmd in dos then ipconfig /all

Anyway I can type in the address 192.168.1.1 to get into the router the manual way.

I would think I choose DHCP but I also tried static IP but neither one will work.

Or do I have to go thru the setup turning on the modem then the router so it can get the new address. Or dod I have to turn off the MS firewall?

Hummm....

Cobra
Crusty Ole Barnacle
Crusty Ole Barnacle

Post by Cobra » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:06 pm

Well I got it. Didn't know you had to press the stupid wireless button for it to get a security code. Duh! :-?

Kinda wished I had just bought a wired router like I wanted but Best Buy didn't have any and it turns out this one was as cheap after $30 rebate.

Oh almost forgot. Do you have to leave the modem and router on all the time?
Something to do with the address with cable renewing and dhcp.

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:31 pm

dang, howd i miss this thread? :oops: :lol: :P

what exactly were you trying to do? if you were setting up the router to connect to the modem, just follow the directions by connecting to the router thru a web browser to whatever the internal address is (found in manual). then probably under the main/connection section there shoulda been a selection for the type of connection youre using (dhcp, ppoe, etc), which you should have from the isp. but tince youve already gotten it going, this is all heresay :oops: :P

as far as the security thing...the one for wireless is more than likely just for setting hte wireless security settings (wep, etc). there shoulda been a "base" security section...maybe under the main section or admin section...possibly even "apps and games" (or at least i think thats what linksys and others generalize).

as far as leaving it on all hte time, thats completely up to you. i know people that turn both off when not in use or others like myself that leave em on all the time, but i also run the barn, etc off it too. if it needs to renew, itll renew itself...dhcp connections have a set renewal time i beleeb.

:mona:

Cobra
Crusty Ole Barnacle
Crusty Ole Barnacle

Post by Cobra » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:50 am

I think I posted this as you were leaving at the time. Anyway I was trying to set it up using the cd that came with it and also using my browser but I didn't know you have to follow thru with setting up the wireless end of it.

Since I dont have any wireless devices I was just figuring why bother but just as soon as I did what the instructions said to do with the stupid button while using the cd setup it worked. It spit out some security number and "connected".

Do you think there is a delay in calling up a site when you go thru a router?

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:55 am

there should be no delay in getting to the internet via a router... unless of course your router is going bad.
T-Bone

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos
will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

Cobra
Crusty Ole Barnacle
Crusty Ole Barnacle

Re: Connecting a router?

Post by Cobra » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:01 pm

Well Im still having problems with delays using this linksys. So I bought a Networked hub thinking I could put it between my cablem modem and the router, but that didn;t work at all.

I have such a hard time with networking :x

Cobra
Crusty Ole Barnacle
Crusty Ole Barnacle

Re: Connecting a router?

Post by Cobra » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:32 pm

December 2005 when I posted the first time here and after all these years, same router, same problems and I stumbled on some setups on Linksys's site telling how to set this thing up.

And who would have known you have to have the MAC address setup in one?!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought that was a MAC computer thangie. :x