handheld gps, nautical-centric?

Open forum for..whatever...

Moderators: boat, rickh

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

handheld gps, nautical-centric?

Post by boat » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:27 pm

anyone have input/experiences with handheld gps's, particuarly maritime geared/marketted?

im looking for one thats somewhat rugged and waterproof/resistant, and has the ability to upload/grade nautical charts for boating/fishing/etc. ive narrowed it down to about 5...

lowrance-
ifinder h2o
ifinder h2o c

garmin-
etrex venture cx
etrex legend cx
etrex vista cx

the two lowrance ones are made by a company known for making marine electronics and the units are waterproof to some kind of national/international standard. the difference between the two models is mainly a color screen vs mono.

all the garmins carry a 50$ rebate, plus they seem to the ability to chart out routes on-the-fly like typical car gps units (with the right software), but they dont seem as seaworthy/rugged as hte lowrances, as the prod descr says they waterproof (to 1m submerged for 10min)...and since this is initially/primarily going to be for boating use...

now the lowrance may very well have that on-the-fly routing feature, but it doesnt explicitly say it anywhere, so i can only assume that it doesnt :? and that would be one of hte main sway points for the garmins, in that i could just as easily pop the unit in the car for a trip and have it tell/show me where to go turn-by-turn. oh, and hte main differences between the garmins are just features...the cheapest being hte most stripped down, then going up to stuff like added software and/or built-in compass/barometer, etc.

:? :?:

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:22 pm

Been a while since I've looked into marine style gps/equipment, but lowrance is definately repuatable when it comes to marine equipment. You can soak their stuff in a tub for 6 hours and it will still work.

The only other option you might look for is that most of the cheaper gps's only hold limited data so you have to upload city/marine data for the area you want to drive/fish whereas the better (more costly units) can hold the entire US street maps and/or water areas. The only time you really need to upload data to them is when new street/marine maps come out (usually 6 months or yearly) or you are uploading POI's (points of interest).
T-Bone

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos
will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:13 am

welp, i went ahead and bit on the garmin etrex legend cx, since it was middle of hte road and had those couple extra perks the lowrance's didnt have such as re-routing and usb hookup. all of them have expandable memory slots for new maps and saving routes, etc. dunno how soon im gonna be getting any of hte aformentioned nautical charts and more detailed road maps...them puppies cost almost half as much as hte unit itself, der :roll: :P

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:10 am

coolio. i've been lookin at the c530 for me car.
T-Bone

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:29 am

plus after the rebate, the garmin comes out cheaper.

werd...meatwad picked up one of those...might actually be the same model if i can rememebr correctly (or at least the 500 series). anyhoo, if there was ever an item that i would say is worth buying, its one of those car gps's...those are just amazing, telling you turn-by-turn, when to turn, how far before you have to turn, when you get off-course it recalculates to get you back on-course, need food/gas/whatever just punch in the place of interest (poi) and it recalculates how to get to/from there, etc, etc ,etc...fantastico :P ;) ...actually, maybe he has the 300 series. looks like the main difference with the 500 series is that new sirf chipset tahts supposed to be pretty sensitive/more accurate ;)

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:23 am

boat wrote:werd...meatwad picked up one of those
ya, saw it down in charlotte which is what prompted me to look into it. i think he has the 300 series which doesn't include the full US street maps, no anti-glare screen, and sumfin else which i can't remember at the moment, but is still a great buy.

with all the driving i do, one of these wil be a blessing. it's a real pita to drive and try to read a map at the same time.
T-Bone

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:25 pm

forwarned: if you order from amazon.com and go with super saver for shipping, for whatever the hell reason, it takes 4-6 days to process. so the order i placed on oct 16th probably wont get processed until oct 23rd and then i wont receive it until oct 30-nov3...wtf chuck!? its an "in stock. sold by amazon." item...der... :roll: :bad-words: 4-6 days to process simply because i went with super saver? sigh :roll:

[NME]Myth
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]Myth » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:20 pm

boat wrote:forwarned: if you order from amazon.com and go with super saver for shipping, for whatever the hell reason, it takes 4-6 days to process. so the order i placed on oct 16th probably wont get processed until oct 23rd and then i wont receive it until oct 30-nov3...wtf chuck!? its an "in stock. sold by amazon." item...der... :roll: :bad-words: 4-6 days to process simply because i went with super saver? sigh :roll:
Are they going downhill? I've always had excellent service from Amazon on their super saver shipping. I haven't ordered from there since I moved though since I live next door to Best Buy now.
LET'S GO HOKIES!!!

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:22 am

boat wrote:forwarned: if you order from amazon.com and go with super saver for shipping, for whatever the hell reason, it takes 4-6 days to process. so the order i placed on oct 16th probably wont get processed until oct 23rd and then i wont receive it until oct 30-nov3...wtf chuck!? its an "in stock. sold by amazon." item...der... :roll: :bad-words: 4-6 days to process simply because i went with super saver? sigh :roll:
dang dude... tough luck. our walmart was stocked full with it over the weekend.

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:13 pm

for how much?

got an email that it shipped today...via usps...expected delivery date nov 1...der... :roll:

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:30 pm

boat wrote:for how much?

got an email that it shipped today...via usps...expected delivery date nov 1...der... :roll:
$49.99 i do beleeb. prolly more expensive than amazon, but you've got the instant gratification factor with walmart. :lol:
T-Bone

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:56 pm

wait...are we talking about the same product or did you forget a digit? if we're talking about the same item, then walmart has a deal and a half on it and everyone else is charging out hte arse... :? and pick me up as many as you can so i can make a killing on ebay :P ;)

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:20 pm

summabiatch... see what happens when ya got too many tabs open in ff!

i read from one topic and posted in another. :lol: disregard that walmart crap. :roll:
T-Bone

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:45 pm

So, how's the gps? I just ordered the garmin c530 for me car from amazon and went with super saver shipping, so we'll see how it goes.
T-Bone

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:58 pm

pretty kewl lil bugger. alot smaller than i was thinking it was going to be (like, the size of two packs of playing cards small). definitely need some updated maps for it...the basic that comes preloaded is exactly that...basic. pretty much just the major roads. im still in between on if getting nautical maps are worth it or not.

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:40 pm

Welp, just got notification from amazon that it shipped. Considering I ordered Sunday, I'll say it shipped within 1.5 days. When did amazon start shipping USPS?

Shipped via USPS (estimated arrival date: 13-December-2006)
T-Bone

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:22 am

well if you used express saver, then expect it in like a month :P ;)

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:00 am

hrmmm... welp, got the gps today. 2 days to ship the order and 4 days to get here. :) had no problems pinpointing my house. i'll see how she does on the road tomorrow when i take jason back.
T-Bone

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:20 pm

The maps and all turns were durned accurate. All in all a pretty spiffy piece of equipment. Has all the necessary points of interest preprogrammed into it too. (read as has most all bars/taverns preprogrammed). Should make it easy getting home on bar nights. :lol:
T-Bone

Cobra
Crusty Ole Barnacle
Crusty Ole Barnacle

Post by Cobra » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:33 am

Although not as durable as the handheld gps I bought a Dell Axim ppc on Ebay and a blue tooth gps receiver.
I am currently using iGuidance software. I like it a lot.
I have tried Tom Tom and Mapopolis also.

Its fun riding into a town looking for wifi connections :D