R/C heli's?

Open forum for..whatever...

Moderators: boat, rickh

User avatar
boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true
Posts: 2753
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2001 8:00 pm
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Contact:

R/C heli's?

Post by boat » Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:39 pm

i dont suppose anyone is familiar with remote control helicopters?

i picked up a lil ole cheapy the other day, and it was just that...a lil ole cheapy...think i broke it within like 10 minutes of "usage"... :roll: :oops: :lol: :P

anyhoo, ive been shopping around for some decent mini/beginner electric models, since i really only plan to tinker with it indoors and on nice calm days. it seems as though the decent complete packages start at around 150$, and a reputable kit is probably closer to 200$ :-? so if anyone has any kinda insight, much appreciated... :P ;)

0X

User avatar
Grummun
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true
Posts: 205
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:49 pm
Location: Central OH
Contact:

Re: R/C heli's?

Post by Grummun » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:17 pm

boat wrote:i dont suppose anyone is familiar with remote control helicopters?

i picked up a lil ole cheapy the other day, and it was just that...a lil ole cheapy...think i broke it within like 10 minutes of "usage"... :roll: :oops: :lol: :P

anyhoo, ive been shopping around for some decent mini/beginner electric models, since i really only plan to tinker with it indoors and on nice calm days. it seems as though the decent complete packages start at around 150$, and a reputable kit is probably closer to 200$ :-? so if anyone has any kinda insight, much appreciated... :P ;)

0X
My bro-in-law has a flight simulator that uses an R/C controller connected through a USB port... pretty cool, and pretty realistic. I've tried flying helos on it... it's challenging. I think it's called 'Great Planes' or somesuch.

User avatar
[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true
Posts: 2818
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2002 8:00 pm
Location: Sharpsville, PA

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:44 pm

I've always wanted a r/c chopper, just never went thru with it. I can tell ya from playing lots of chopper sims, mostly gunship series, that flying a chopper is difficult to say the least. It takes some time to get used to the controls, especially the blade pitch. It's definately more challenging then flying a plane. I've actually flown a piper cherokee and did quite well considering most plane sims I played were F-15 strike eagles. Even then, you need to get used to flying by instumentation instead of by sight because when you pitch up to keep level you can't always see the horizon.
T-Bone

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos
will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

User avatar
boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true
Posts: 2753
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2001 8:00 pm
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Contact:

Post by boat » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:54 pm

yeah...ive kinda heard mixed thigns about what a beginner should start out with...some say fixed pitch rotor, some say to jump into a collective pitch rotor so that you learn better habits(?). i stopped by a local hobby shop today and he said that he's been selling this one like hotcakes for beginners, and its collective pitch. but when i was poking around about it earlier this evening, i came across some forum discussions about fixed pitch would suit beginners better. my logic with this e-flite blade is that its hobby quality and somewhat upgradeable, if i hsould ever get so bold (btw, check out the 2 videos at the bottom of the page...particulary the "enhanced" blade..that one has an aerobatic upgrade kit :o :) ).

and even some of hte kits ive come across, come with remotes that are able to hook up to your computer to run those r/c sims, like grumm mentioned...so then thats another factor for me to consider...i dont think the ef blade's remote has a serial plug, but some of the other fixed rotor kits' remote do...so then the factor of "a: the more upgradeable/advanced heli, or b: the more expendable heli that comes with a sim capable remote"... :-? :roll:

oh, and o-m-g...theres this futaba r/c remote that costs like 2000$! :o :o

User avatar
Grummun
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true
Posts: 205
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:49 pm
Location: Central OH
Contact:

Post by Grummun » Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:53 pm

boat wrote:yeah...ive kinda heard mixed thigns about what a beginner should start out with...some say fixed pitch rotor, some say to jump into a collective pitch rotor so that you learn better habits(?). i stopped by a local hobby shop today and he said that he's been selling this one like hotcakes for beginners, and its collective pitch. but when i was poking around about it earlier this evening, i came across some forum discussions about fixed pitch would suit beginners better. my logic with this e-flite blade is that its hobby quality and somewhat upgradeable, if i hsould ever get so bold (btw, check out the 2 videos at the bottom of the page...particulary the "enhanced" blade..that one has an aerobatic upgrade kit :o :) ).

and even some of hte kits ive come across, come with remotes that are able to hook up to your computer to run those r/c sims, like grumm mentioned...so then thats another factor for me to consider...i dont think the ef blade's remote has a serial plug, but some of the other fixed rotor kits' remote do...so then the factor of "a: the more upgradeable/advanced heli, or b: the more expendable heli that comes with a sim capable remote"... :-? :roll:

oh, and o-m-g...theres this futaba r/c remote that costs like 2000$! :o :o
I would look for the one that's most easily repaired :P ;)

User avatar
boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true
Posts: 2753
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2001 8:00 pm
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Contact:

Post by boat » Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:06 pm

Grummun wrote:
boat wrote:yeah...ive kinda heard mixed thigns about what a beginner should start out with...some say fixed pitch rotor, some say to jump into a collective pitch rotor so that you learn better habits(?). i stopped by a local hobby shop today and he said that he's been selling this one like hotcakes for beginners, and its collective pitch. but when i was poking around about it earlier this evening, i came across some forum discussions about fixed pitch would suit beginners better. my logic with this e-flite blade is that its hobby quality and somewhat upgradeable, if i hsould ever get so bold (btw, check out the 2 videos at the bottom of the page...particulary the "enhanced" blade..that one has an aerobatic upgrade kit :o :) ).

and even some of hte kits ive come across, come with remotes that are able to hook up to your computer to run those r/c sims, like grumm mentioned...so then thats another factor for me to consider...i dont think the ef blade's remote has a serial plug, but some of the other fixed rotor kits' remote do...so then the factor of "a: the more upgradeable/advanced heli, or b: the more expendable heli that comes with a sim capable remote"... :-? :roll:

oh, and o-m-g...theres this futaba r/c remote that costs like 2000$! :o :o
I would look for the one that's most easily repaired :P ;)
yeah, that is a factor as well, and probably the 2nd or 3rd question i asked hte guy at the local shop...how cheap/easy is it to get replacement parts... :oops: :lol: :P he keeps a stock of hte e-flite blade parts (blades, fins, etc) and said that theyre pretty easy to come by, but after my lil bit o research, the fixed pitch heli's are more durable...just ben the blades back into shape and take off, whereas the collective pitch heli's require more steaking and stuff, even after replacing blades n stuff 'cause u have to balance/level out the pitch/weight/whatever... :-? but ont he other hand, that could prove to be a good learning experience/practice for the inner workings, so-to-speak...

User avatar
Paradroid
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2002 7:13 pm
Location: Holland, EU
Contact:

Re: R/C heli's?

Post by Paradroid » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:41 pm

boat wrote:i dont suppose anyone is familiar with remote control helicopters?

I kinda got into R/C aircraft, for a little while years ago. But this was internal combustion engine fixed wing aircraft, so i guess that doesn't help.
From what i understood about those helicopters is that the pitchable blade ones can fly upside down, and the fixed blade ones can't. I don't know if flying choppers indoors is a good idea... (Unless it's like a sports hall or a hangar or something) I would get an R/C blimp to fly around in the living room. :D
Parad®σιd

User avatar
[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true
Posts: 2818
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2002 8:00 pm
Location: Sharpsville, PA

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:57 pm

Real copters have a collective which changes the pitch of the main rotor, so I guess learning on a r/c with a collective would be more realistic. Heat & humidity play a big factor with pitch. The hotter/thinner the air, requires more pitch. Then again, if you're still learning, may as well go for what works for you.

If you can get your hands on any chopper sims, you may want to try those out too. I don't know if I'd start with the gunship series though as then you'll also have to learn to evade SAMS and air-air missles. :lol: Blowing the chit out of stuff sure beats just flying around though. ;)
T-Bone

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos
will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

User avatar
Cobra
Crusty Ole Barnacle
Crusty Ole Barnacle
Posts: 297
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2002 7:39 pm
Location: Western North Carolina
Contact:

Post by Cobra » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:40 pm

Well I started in R/C back in '74 and Im going to buy $800 worth of helicopter today.

If you want to fly indoors here is one about to be released that is sweet.
There are simular to this one and as good. I just know the E-flight is good stuff.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByCate ... D=EFLH1200

This is a step up. I bought it a month ago and sold it saturday.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByCate ... D=EFLH1100

Its a excellent one for the money. It is ready to fly out of the box. I liked it enough to want one of these.
You will have to click cancel on the popup language pack install.

http://www.align.com.tw/shop/product_in ... cts_id=825

There are forums you can go to and get a lot of info on these.

User avatar
Cobra
Crusty Ole Barnacle
Crusty Ole Barnacle
Posts: 297
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2002 7:39 pm
Location: Western North Carolina
Contact:

Post by Cobra » Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:45 pm

Here is a short video I made of me just learning to hover. Hard as hell to keep in one place. This part of the reason I moving up to a larger one.

http://home.att.net/~machwon/Blade/Copter3.wmv

User avatar
boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true
Posts: 2753
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2001 8:00 pm
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Contact:

Post by boat » Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:59 pm

yeah, that eflite blade is what the guy at the local hobby shop recommended for me...saying that thats one his best sellers for beginners, and that he cant keep em on the shelf. while its not going to be exclusive indoor use, was wanting something at least capable of doinking around indoors if the desire should ever arise.

actually what piqued(?) my interest in r/c heli's was this "deal" for a wireless camera that i stumbled upon, and a few people in the thread were talking about mounting it to r/c toys :lol: so i figured "how cool would it be to have it mounted on a heli" :P

i saw that double rotor eflite, but i think i would rather have a "real" heli, so to speak...in terms of repairs and upgradability (that cx one doesnt seem all that upgradeable :P ).

read up a lil on the trex's too...think im leaning towards that blade...ive just been in a quandry over whether or not to go with the fixed pitch or collective pitch (fixed pitch supposedly being more durable with less maintainence/tweaking, but on the other hand, thats also part of hte experience...:? ).

those acrobatic videos are sweet...upside down and flips and stuff... :o :lol:

Guest

Post by Guest » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:23 pm

Here check out these forums and go from there. You wouldn't believe how many people are starting with the Blade CP.
A FP or fixed pitch will not have the ability to move up or I should say modify since you cant change the pitch of the blades like a CP.
Now with the ccpm it makes it much easier to learn on but you still can make it a fully capable 3D flyer.
Now if you want to get an easier to fly but more costly and I know can carry a camera the T-Rex would do it. I just orderd one today and it should get here wednesday.

I bought it here. http://www.grandrc.com/inc/sdetail/17603

These forums will give you way more info than I can. Now read till your cross eyed. :D

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_167/tt.htm
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42

User avatar
Cobra
Crusty Ole Barnacle
Crusty Ole Barnacle
Posts: 297
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2002 7:39 pm
Location: Western North Carolina
Contact:

Post by Cobra » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:29 pm

LOL, that was me above. Didn't know u could post without logging in. :o

Another thing I forgot to say is if your LHS has the Blade in stock and keeps parts, that in itself means a lot on a decision as which to buy.

User avatar
[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true
Posts: 2818
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2002 8:00 pm
Location: Sharpsville, PA

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:43 pm

Cobra wrote:Here is a short video I made of me just learning to hover. Hard as hell to keep in one place. This part of the reason I moving up to a larger one.

http://home.att.net/~machwon/Blade/Copter3.wmv
As the Joker would say, "Where does he get all those wonderful toys?"

Pretty cool Dennis. I think I'll stick with the computer sims. I know if I crash, I'm just one reload/reboot away from starting over. ;)
T-Bone

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos
will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

User avatar
boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true
Posts: 2753
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2001 8:00 pm
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Contact:

Post by boat » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:41 pm

oh - its not a big camera...maybe about the size of two or three startbursts put together, plus the little, flexible 2 inch antenna :)

yeah, the lhs recommending the blade in addition to having parts on hand is what got me leaning towards the blade...i forgot to ask him how much it he has it for though :-? but given that everywhere online ive seen it for 220$, so i imagine itll be in the same range...so might just order it online and part out at the lhs if need be :pbt: ;)

User avatar
Cobra
Crusty Ole Barnacle
Crusty Ole Barnacle
Posts: 297
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2002 7:39 pm
Location: Western North Carolina
Contact:

Post by Cobra » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:51 am

There is a article about a Blade carring a camera some where. I will look for it.

I could have put a blade in your home if I had known a little earlier.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 6006260409

I also sold this to fund the new heli.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 6006596710

Yea, anywhere you look the Blade is $220. But that is a great price since it has the radio and a battery ready to fly out of the box.

Here is some new videos. http://www.runryder.com/helicopter/phot ... yExpo2005/
Last edited by Cobra on Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Cobra
Crusty Ole Barnacle
Crusty Ole Barnacle
Posts: 297
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2002 7:39 pm
Location: Western North Carolina
Contact:

Post by Cobra » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:57 am

[NME]T-Bone wrote:
Cobra wrote:Here is a short video I made of me just learning to hover. Hard as hell to keep in one place. This part of the reason I moving up to a larger one.

http://home.att.net/~machwon/Blade/Copter3.wmv
As the Joker would say, "Where does he get all those wonderful toys?"

Pretty cool Dennis. I think I'll stick with the computer sims. I know if I crash, I'm just one reload/reboot away from starting over. ;)
Hey I enjoy computer sims too. :D I still have the old Falcon sim from years ago and the Apache 64 sim with the Saitek joystick/throttle combo.
Old Atari 400 and 800 computers sitten here, omg.

How do I afford these toys, easy, in debt up to my eyeballs. :o
And a wife who understands and enjoys them too. :D

User avatar
boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true
Posts: 2753
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2001 8:00 pm
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Contact:

Post by boat » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:47 pm

welp, ive somewhat commited myself to the blade from the lhs. stopped in there today to check his price and when he expects to get some in, and his price is the same everywhere else, 219.99$...he claimed he's getting two in tomorrow and that one was already sold/spoken for...chatted a coupla more minutes with him about the different variations of this heli...started to head out, then turned around and asked him to hold the other one for me... :oops: :roll: :lol: :P gonna hafta pay sales tax, but at least i can get it sooner...plus helps the local economy ;) :P now i jsut need to get some of that training gear in a hurry, so's i can start playin :pbt:

User avatar
Cobra
Crusty Ole Barnacle
Crusty Ole Barnacle
Posts: 297
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2002 7:39 pm
Location: Western North Carolina
Contact:

Post by Cobra » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:30 am

Very good. Well even as bad as I hate the taxes at least your lhs will remember you bought from him unlike going to him for parts and him knowing you bought off the net.

Hope you get it today, and the training gear works great. If it hadn't been for it the heli it would have suffered a lot of damage. :o A lot of my landings were not straight down but rather a slide in. Flying on pavement or concrete is helpful, it dont dig in like grass.
This is one r/c model that gets my palms sweating and heart rate up. :D

My JR radio came yesterday, and Im hopeing my Rex shows up today.
With this model I have to build, the Blade on the other hand is ready to fly, even has a charged battery ;)

Have you seen the Blade up close yet?

User avatar
boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true
Posts: 2753
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2001 8:00 pm
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Contact:

Post by boat » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:31 am

naw, i havent seen it up close...he was outta stock. only one ive seen up close was teh lil cheapy that i got (and subsequently broke w/in 10 minutes :oops: :roll: :P ). he told me that he should have em by 1pm, so to come by after that...so now to deciede to get it during work and have it sitting in my truck for a coupla hours, or wait til after work...if i get it during work, i can just head straight home with it... :pbt: ;) ...but i didnt see the training gear when i was in there the other day, so i dunno if i would fly it until i got that... :o :-? :oops: :roll: :P

Post Reply