Long overdue....

A place for mapping ideas, resources, tips, howto's, questions, answer...

Moderators: boat, rickh

KaptainSkitzo
Ole Barnacle
Ole Barnacle

Long overdue....

Post by KaptainSkitzo » Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:31 am

I'm going to actually try to build my own map. It's one I designed(on paper) a long time ago. Since it's still kinda in the concept/design stage... I thought I'd toss the idea out here and see if anyone has suggestions for it.

The concept is simple(and stolen from the original Dawn of the Dead)...a shopping mall. Two end stores(the teams bases), a middle store(like the end stores), and closed storefronts between them. It's 2 levels(like most malls), and will have a "hidden" duct system you can move through. I'm also thinking of some "ceiling-side" sniper points, probably have to use some teleporter-like means to get up there(like the ones in turkeyburgers). I'll re-draw the basic concept, and upload it for you all to check out, but any ideas would be appreciated.

It is a CTF style map.
"There are thousands of people out there who say I am *NOT* right in the head. There are thousands more out there who say I *AM* right in the head. The funny thing is, they all make these claims for the SAME REASONS!"
-Me.

KaptainSkitzo
Ole Barnacle
Ole Barnacle

Post by KaptainSkitzo » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:25 pm

Ok, here are the initial layouts. There isn't anything in the way of actual detail, but just a rough sketch of the levels(1-2-ceiling)

This is the "1st floor"...the main level. The red and blue dots indicate Flag Position. ES=Escalator, EL=Elevator(with closing doors), R=Respawn areas.

This is the "2nd floor"...the upper level. The "holes" in the floor are the area's where the upper level can "look down" on the lower level...you know, your typical mall layout.

This is the ceiling area...note that I left the "anchor store" outlines there...mostly for reference purposes. I haven't yet decided on the exact spots that can take you to these sniper spots...but I'm working on it. The Semi-circles on each side at the "teleport to" spots. No escape but down(and death)...but fairly well hidden. I'm thinking a small alcove that you could retreat to to take less damage. Just to make it interesting.

On the whole, these are VERY rough sketches...and don't include all of my ideas yet. I'll update them and let you all know as things change.
"There are thousands of people out there who say I am *NOT* right in the head. There are thousands more out there who say I *AM* right in the head. The funny thing is, they all make these claims for the SAME REASONS!"
-Me.

[NME]PlayerX
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]PlayerX » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:37 am

Looks good on Paper....Any real Construction started yet?
Can't stop Lose job Mind gone Silicon What bomb Get away Pay day Make hay Break down Need fix Big six Clickity click Hold on Oh no Brrrrrrrrrring bingo!

KaptainSkitzo
Ole Barnacle
Ole Barnacle

Post by KaptainSkitzo » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:48 pm

Not yet. I'm still working on the "on paper" placement, and checking out tutorials. I really want to be sure of what I'm doing before I actually start doing it. The last thing I want, is to have the "frustration factor" nullify this idea. I think it'll be a fun map to play, but it's going to take some time to get it where I want it.
-Me.