Entity Question?

A place for mapping ideas, resources, tips, howto's, questions, answer...

Moderators: boat, rickh

Rork
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Entity Question?

Post by Rork » Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:17 am

Ok here's one.... :( :o

Is it possible to make Glass re-appear/re-spawn once it has been broken...

Maybe the same way a Det-wall is blown up and then re-established, but without the explosion? Maybe with a button instead.. (Once the Glass has been broken it would trigger a button that when pressed by the defending team would "re-spawn" the fun_breakable entity the glass is made of?)

Is this poss, or am I way off, yet again :roll: :P on how these dern entity things work ;)

Any Ideas?
"I'm Not as Think as You Stoned I am"

!biA biA!

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:16 pm

i cant seem to find anyhting about it. possible solution would be like ur saying...that once its been broken, so have a trigger/buttons somewhere that when used, puts a new window in place...but id imagine ud need some kinda "check" that would make sure there already isnt a window already intact.

:-? :?:

[NME]PlayerX
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]PlayerX » Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:15 pm

Are you wanting the Glass Frist be broken by a CrowBar or by being Shot,Or are you wanting it to Frist be broken by a DetPack?

Dictator
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Dictator » Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:42 pm

Would be awesome to run through the glass to break it. I always wanted to do that in real life but it could get me killed. :oops: :P

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:03 pm

Dictator wrote:Would be awesome to run through the glass to break it. I always wanted to do that in real life but it could get me killed. :oops: :P
u can actually set the entity to break on touch i beleeb :D :P

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:38 pm

[NME]PlayerX wrote:Are you wanting the Glass Frist be broken by a CrowBar or by being Shot,Or are you wanting it to Frist be broken by a DetPack?
the way im interpretting it is that he wants the glass to be able to be shot/broken out, but replace/repairable, by like a button as he said...so taht a window could be shot out, but repaired w/o the need for a demoman. hrm, is there a way to change the properties so that straight damage could make a wall break, or is the entitiy associated with detable walls limited to being triggered by a detpack? :-?

Rork
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Rork » Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:03 pm

yes what i would like to do is have the glass break from being shot at... Shotgun or nailgun etc.. then I would like a way to have the glass re-appear with-out restarting the map and/ or level..

I guess it would be something like security lazers.. where they are down for a time, being shut down by a button and then reappear after a time.. except your not using an env_?, which i think is what the lazers use.. :-? ,you're using a func_breakable ;) I guess if its the only way to do it, using a demo would work.. but i would like it possible for anyone who has some type of gun to break the glass and then anyone that can "press a button" to retrigger the glass to appear..

i am trying to use the glass as security :lol: if you haven't figured that out yet.. :-? :-? :oops: :P
0X

!biA biA!

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:14 pm

I'm no map builder, but I would think an engy could fix the glass too. Can't think of the name of the map, but a demo can blow a door open. the engy grabs a new door out of the respawn and put it back where it belongs.... now that i think of it, engies can fix the grate in dambusters too.

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:54 pm

[NME]T-Bone wrote:I'm no map builder, but I would think an engy could fix the glass too. Can't think of the name of the map, but a demo can blow a door open. the engy grabs a new door out of the respawn and put it back where it belongs.... now that i think of it, engies can fix the grate in dambusters too.
the door one is turnon, but hte thing with that is that it requires a door model, that the eng carries. but on some maps (spacedout, ravelin) the eng is able to repair the generator or whatever with a wrench hit...though those are detpackable entities though :-?

[NME]PlayerX
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]PlayerX » Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:00 pm

I don't think theres a way to make a func_breakable reappear once its been broken.You chould use a func_wall_toggle but the only bad thing about that is when you break the glass it won't break in to gibs like the way a func_breakable does.
Maybe instead of breaking the glass you chould just have it act as a window with a button that open/close's it.
I'll have to play around in hammer and see what I can do.

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:18 pm

well maybe i multimanager or something could be used, that after 60sec after its broken, a new window would appear. otherwise, could do like x said and just have a button that lowers the glass, and raises after 60sec (assuming the security ur talking about is similar to openfire, ceasefire, shutdown, etc)...though getting splatter by a reappearring laser is a lil more amusing :P

Rork
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Rork » Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:49 pm

he we go again... ;)

is it possible for an entity to take away ammo.... or take away a players ability to use any "given" weapon... eg.. if you walk through and trigger an area were an entity is set up. can you set it to take away your shotgun? or your bullets.. etc..? :-? :oops:

!biA biA!

Paradroid
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Paradroid » Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:46 am

i know in DoD, when you shoot at windows the glass breaks. And when a team wins a round. All the windows are reset. And that's not like a map restart because everyone stays on the server. So there must be a command or something for the glass reset. Maybe you can look into dod maps coding.

And in the TFC map "basketball" or something, there's this ammo/weapon thing you're talking about.
You spawn with a sniper rifle, and when you walk through the door of the lockerroom you lose all your weapons, except the crowbar.
Parad®σιd

Rork
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Rork » Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:33 pm

Paradroid wrote:i know in DoD, when you shoot at windows the glass breaks. And when a team wins a round. All the windows are reset. And that's not like a map restart because everyone stays on the server. So there must be a command or something for the glass reset. Maybe you can look into dod maps coding.

And in the TFC map "basketball" or something, there's this ammo/weapon thing you're talking about.
You spawn with a sniper rifle, and when you walk through the door of the lockerroom you lose all your weapons, except the crowbar.
cool Para, i remember that it basketball, now, thx...... what DoD map are you talking about... the coding file are different from MOD to MOD but ill check that out anyway... 0X

!biA biA!

Paradroid
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Paradroid » Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:56 pm

Rork wrote:what DoD map are you talking about...

Ehh, i think many maps in DoD have window panes. But the maps i can think of right now are "Zalec" and "Anzio".
(Both very good maps by the way)
Parad®σιd

-Bumble-
Toddler Barnacle
Toddler Barnacle

Post by -Bumble- » Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:53 pm

caen also has a window right next to the allied spawn. Not sure how it's done though.

-Bumble-
The bumble bee cannot fly...
but no one ever told him that.

[Let the wild rumpus start!]

E-Mail: mailto:GroovesEthnikon@gmail.com
AIM: GroovesEthnikon