Hammer Question

A place for mapping ideas, resources, tips, howto's, questions, answer...

Moderators: boat, rickh

[NME]PlayerX
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Hammer Question

Post by [NME]PlayerX » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:45 pm

Let me be the frist to ask a question...
I'm looking for a way to take a screenshot while working in hammer. Anyone got any ideals on how to do this?

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:51 pm

print screen (maybe alt+print screen too, though i think thats for only taking a shot of the active window) should take a screenshot to the clipboard, after which u can paste into ur favorite image editor :D if no graphics prog, can just paste it into ms paint, which every winders should have (under program>accessories)...make sure to save it as a jpg though :oops: :pbt: ;)

Rork
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Rork » Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:12 pm

OK I've got one...

I have deleted all of my attempts of making a map.....

Bye bye- BiaCom :oops: :-? :(

CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO MAKE A MAP THAT DOESN'T GO OVER 900 on r_speeds.. :oops: :P :-? :drinking:

Score:
Hammer : 150
!biA!Rork : 0

*oh yeah, screw Mikshape 3D too.......
"I'm Not as Think as You Stoned I am"

!biA biA!

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:07 pm

build each wall individually (no carving, hollowing, etc :P )

keep huge, open areas at a minimum.

try to keep barriers in bewteen rooms/areas, so there isnt a straight line of sight into each one (if hte engine can see into the next room via a straight shot, then it has to draw that room too).

fewer entities :oops: :lol: :P start with a small, basic ctf map, w/o allt he bells and whistles (glass, buttons, doors, etc)...look at 2fort, its techinically one of the simplest maps out there, yet is probably one of the most popular ones...think about it, the only 'advanced' things in it are the elevator, grate and water.

kiss...keep it simple, stoopid :P ;)

of course, there are a few other techinques that x can probably elaborate on (like using func_wall as opposed to a world brush, typa stuff :P )

:ohyeah:

Rork
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Rork » Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:48 pm

is the a way to compile a an rmf that i belive was meant to be used as a cs_map into a tfc_map.. i found an idea i want to use..,"with the authors permission of course", :angel: but i keep getting this error when i go to run the bsp.....
Attachments
error.JPG
this be the error
error.JPG (7.59 KiB) Viewed 2934 times

!biA biA!

[NME]PlayerX
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]PlayerX » Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:37 am

Don't know anything about cs_mapping but what I whould try is...
Frist Counter Strike uses a diffrent FGD file then TFC so you may have to change/delete some of the entities in the map that are non_TFC related and add the necessary TFC one's like "info_tfdetect".
Then I whould compile the map and check the log for any errors, then go from there.

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:51 am

"missing frame 0 of -4cstrike_wr3cc"...that sounds like a texture doesnt it? :?:

[NME]PlayerX
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]PlayerX » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:57 am

Yep.It does sound like a texture error.Most likely a animated texture sence they use a start_frame and a end_frame in Source mapping.

Rork
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Rork » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:28 am

boat wrote:"missing frame 0 of -4cstrike_wr3cc"...that sounds like a texture doesnt it? :?:
[NME]PlayerX wrote:Yep.It does sound like a texture error.Most likely a animated texture sence they use a start_frame and a end_frame in Source mapping.
Ah man you guys are so smart..... :roll: :P ;) .. it was a texture error.. after messing with the map everyway i could, i realised that the name of the file was very similar to that of a randomising texture, ... :oops: so i opened wally and took it out.. then re-compiled and presto...

thanks for the hizelp..

!biA biA!

Paradroid
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Paradroid » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:44 am

boat wrote:...make sure to save it as a jpg though

Noooo, don't save it as jpg in paint! Unless that will be your final product. If you still want to work with / edit the image, save it as bmp. And then at the end when you're done save a copy in jpeg format.
MS Paint has one of the highest jpeg compressions, and is therefore very lossy.
Parad®σιd

Rork
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Rork » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:59 am

ok another,

if you are using models in your map.... must you remove them from your "tfc_models" folder while running the .map or .rmf file in the editor...??? or do i have something set-up wrong..

whats happening:
the editor crashes out when i start up the map with models in it, until i remove the models from my "tfc_models" folder.. once i have done that, I can go back to hammer and start up the file just fine.... <shrug> :-? :roll:

!biA biA!

[NME]PlayerX
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]PlayerX » Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:32 pm

Whats the name of the model your useing and is it a custom model?Is it a TFC model or a ConterStrike model?

I have some custom models in my model folder and hammer opens the map fine with no problems.

Rork
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Rork » Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:47 pm

[NME]PlayerX wrote:Whats the name of the model your useing and is it a custom model?Is it a TFC model or a ConterStrike model?

I have some custom models in my model folder and hammer opens the map fine with no problems.
yes they are custom models... they are meant for half life, names vary... they are all spot lights.... what version of hammer you usin? 3.4 or 3.5? i think 3.5 will let you see the models in action, but not sure about 3.4 which is the one im using... i probably have something set up wrong.. :oops: :roll: ;) just weird, once i compile the map and then add the models back into the "tfc_models" the map runs ok in steam..... :-?

!biA biA!

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:22 pm

are you just generalizing ur models folder or is it named "tfc_models"? cause the models folder for tfc is /tfc/modelsl...though as long as u specify the correct path, it may not matter <shrug> :?

Rork
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Rork » Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:55 pm

boat wrote:are you just generalizing ur models folder or is it named "tfc_models"? cause the models folder for tfc is /tfc/modelsl...though as long as u specify the correct path, it may not matter <shrug> :?
awboat, gimme a little credit..... :oops: :P just generalizing , hense the " "..... :roll: :P ;)

!biA biA!

[NME]PlayerX
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]PlayerX » Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:20 pm

Rork wrote: yes they are custom models... they are meant for half life, names vary... they are all spot lights.... what version of hammer you usin? 3.4 or 3.5? i think 3.5 will let you see the models in action, but not sure about 3.4 which is the one im using... i probably have something set up wrong.. :oops: :roll: ;) just weird, once i compile the map and then add the models back into the "tfc_models" the map runs ok in steam..... :-?
I'm useing 3.4 right now.
You sayAfter you take the models out of your tfc/models folder and then compile the map,The models show up in the map while your in game?
I don't see how that works.You have to set the "Model path/name.mdl" in the model properties and if the models are not in your model folder then after you compile the map the models arent gonna show up.
I might be able to help you if you send me the model.

Rork
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Rork » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:10 pm

[NME]PlayerX wrote:
Rork wrote: yes they are custom models... they are meant for half life, names vary... they are all spot lights.... what version of hammer you usin? 3.4 or 3.5? i think 3.5 will let you see the models in action, but not sure about 3.4 which is the one im using... i probably have something set up wrong.. :oops: :roll: ;) just weird, once i compile the map and then add the models back into the "tfc_models" the map runs ok in steam..... :-?
I'm useing 3.4 right now.
You sayAfter you take the models out of your tfc/models folder and then compile the map,The models show up in the map while your in game?
I don't see how that works.You have to set the "Model path/name.mdl" in the model properties and if the models are not in your model folder then after you compile the map the models arent gonna show up.
I might be able to help you if you send me the model.
what happens is this: i go to open up the rmf/map file in hammer.. ,
(if the models are installed in the valve/steam/steamapps/ <accountname>/teamfortress/tfc/models) <boat ;-p > folder, then hammer will quit before it opens and crash out.... but if i take the models out of said folder and then go into hammer, the rmf/map file will open fine.... once i have compiled the map, i put the models back in the above mentioned folder and run the map in steam.... i just dont understand why hammer would crash if the models are sitting in the folder.... <shrug> :oops:

!biA biA!

Rork
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Rork » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:49 pm

ok here should be an easy one.... ;) how do i get a sound that is playing to continue looping...? the "do NOT loop" flag is not selected...

!biA biA!

[NME]PlayerX
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]PlayerX » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:23 pm

Rork wrote:ok here should be an easy one.... ;) how do i get a sound that is playing to continue looping...? the "do NOT loop" flag is not selected...
Whould this be a custom wav file your useing or a Half-Life?

This is one problem I'v not figured out why it happens.Some Half-Life sounds will loop even if the 'is not looped" flag is checked.For example,If you create a func_button and target it to a ambient_generic useing the wav file apache/ap_rotor3.wav and have the "is not looped" checked,It will be looped ingame.But if you replace the apache/ap_rotor3.wav with barney/ba_post.wav it wont be looped.

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:50 pm

i have no idea how to make maps or use hammer, but i believe that wav files contain a loop attribute. if this attribute is on, there may be no way to prevent the wav from looping. if the loop attribute is off, it can probably still be looped via software, sort of like turning on the "repeat" button in winamp or media player.
T-Bone

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos
will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."