An older system and Linux

Discussion(s) about all things *Nix =-p

Moderators: boat, rickh

KaptainSkitzo
Ole Barnacle
Ole Barnacle

An older system and Linux

Post by KaptainSkitzo » Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:34 pm

My step daughter has an older computer of mine...she's about to get a newer machine, and I'll be getting the older one back.

Here's the 411 on the system:

AMD processor(not sure of the model), 450 Mhz, 64MB ram, on-board sound/video. I can't remember the HD size, but I have several spares laying around I could put in there if needed.

What I'd like to do when I get it back, is format the drive, and put some version of Unix on it, sort of give it a try for stability, features, etc...

Will FreeBSD work on it? Is there something else(free, of course) that I should try out?

Optimally, I'd like to turn the unit into a TFC server machine for LAN games, having both WON and Steam installed(so I can choose which version to run) along with Foxbot. I'd also like to have the same mod that Drippy is running(which only works on Unix based systems) for those LAN games.

Any suggestions?
"There are thousands of people out there who say I am *NOT* right in the head. There are thousands more out there who say I *AM* right in the head. The funny thing is, they all make these claims for the SAME REASONS!"
-Me.

Dictator
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Dictator » Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:52 pm

FreeBSD isn't Linux and is no way related to Linux. FreeBSD is BSD/UNIX. Linux is UNIX-Like. :P

Yes, FreeBSD can work on the old machine. I'd suggest FreeBSD 4.11. Better get more RAM if you want better performance when run hl server. What harddrive size will you get?

boat ran HL-Won server on his 4.x machine. I don't think steam is in FreeBSD's ports (software) system so there's complicated process to get it to work. You'll need to figure out how to use linux emulation. Steam only release binary for Windows and Linux :-? However, won server is in the ports. I don't know how long it'll stay there before Freebsd team remove it from the ports system. If it's not there anymore, you always can get it from the Internet and install it yourself and get it to work with linux emulation.

You should find FreeBSD links in this forum if you want to get started with FreeBSD. :)
Give me liberty, or I may well give you death.

Grummun
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Grummun » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:41 pm

Dictator wrote:FreeBSD isn't Linux and is no way related to Linux. FreeBSD is BSD/UNIX. Linux is UNIX-Like. :P

To clarify that statement a little... 'Unix' is commonly used to describe a category of operating systems, the progenitor of which is AT&T Unix (Unix family tree). These OSs share some general features, but can be quite different in the details. FreeBSD is a direct descendent of the BSD branch of Unix, which traces it's roots back to the late '70s, and is a complete OS, with a robust package management system (Ports) and central control over the overall product. Linux is a much more recent development, and is much less well defined. About the only thing centrally contolled about Linux is the kernel source; all the other utilities, libraries, etc., that are required for a functional OS are picked out of whatever's available in the open source community by various 'distributions,' some of which are more concious of quality control than others. There's one FreeBSD, there's a zillion Linuxes.

As far as HLDS, like Dict says, there's no FreeBSD binary, only a Linux binary, so you'd need to run it under a Linux emulation, with which I'm sure one of the BSD [s]geeks[/s] gurus can help you out.

Grum

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:48 pm

instead of messing with BSD, why not just grab fedora, gentoo, or any other free linux distro. might be less hassle than trying to get hl server to run on BSD.

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:47 pm

actually, getting a hlserver running on freebsd was a piece of cake. it has steam, etc. the only thing i had a problem running as far as hlserver is concerned was a "source" server...tfc ran just fine :ohyeah: as far as what linux compatibilty mode to use, i would suggest installing from the ports...

#cd /usr/ports/emulators/linux_base
#make fetch
#make install clean

actually, what i like to do is enable linux compat during hte install process, that way i know all the configs and startups get installed, and then i do a...

#cd /usr/ports/emulators/linux_base
#make deinstall
#make fetch
#make install clean

the 'deinstall' argument, well, uninstalls the port, then i reinstall it, becuase the 'base' installs i have done use redhat 6.x compat mode, but doing a cvsup and another make install (after the deinstall) will install 7.x...ive had hiccups in the past from using the 6.x mode :-?

and the marina was a lowly ole ppro200...

http://boat.dyndns.org:8080/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=646

i wouldnt expect a 32man server with that, but it seemed to squeak along ok with however many we've had on before...8-10 :?:

oh - and as far as hlserver itself in the ports...

steam-
/usr/ports/games/linux-steam/

WON(?)-
/usr/ports/games/halflifeserver/

not sure if the WON one works still or not...assume so <shrug>

and if u do try the linux route, and dont mind a tweaky install, i used gentoo for the shortlived hl2dm server i had runnin, and installed it from portage. :)

KaptainSkitzo
Ole Barnacle
Ole Barnacle

Post by KaptainSkitzo » Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:02 am

Ok, I have the computer back, but haven't hooked it back up yet. IIRC the HD was either a 8 or 15 GB size, and the processor is an AMD K6-2 @450Mhz. 64 MB RAM. I was incorrect in my original post, it's LINUX, not UNIX.
Since I'm not really able to get Foxbot to work with Steam, I may just go with a WON based server(gonna miss the teleporters). Since it'll be LAN only, that shouldn't be a big deal. If I can ever get Foxbot straightened out with Steam, I can install that as well. QLAD is for dedicated servers only...I'm going to do some research and see if that's only for net-side servers, or if it'll work on the LAN. I'm not looking for 32 players, at most 8. I'm figureing up to 3 human players, and an equal # of bots...or, me against bots only.
"There are thousands of people out there who say I am *NOT* right in the head. There are thousands more out there who say I *AM* right in the head. The funny thing is, they all make these claims for the SAME REASONS!"
-Me.