Solaris 10 - free...

Post by boat » Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:21 pm

just a note that Solaris 10 is available free for download :surp:

**for x64/x86 and sparc ;)

Soloaris info page

Solaris download page

4 cd d/l for the install discs

:)
Last edited by boat on Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:11 pm

I wonder how fast the ZFS (filesystem) is compared to others. It sounds great, but you would think the copy-on-write would slow things down a bit.

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:16 pm

...only one way to find out...free download ya know... ;) :P :D

oh - u know much about windows file sharing and solaris? assume id have to install samba on it, unless theres some kinda built-in functionality? gonna try and setup a file server for work, because they have had a rash of file sharing problems of late, which cripples us in that some files are on one shared puter that hte other one needs and vice versa...then something goes awry with filesharing and one is dead in the water. so i figured id setup a central fileserver. was gonna use that dually i have and was having a biatch of a time getting linux installed (again :roll: )...working on a freebsd install now, but i minutely considered trying solaris, but wasnt sure how easy itd be to get setup in a winders environment :roll: :P

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:42 pm

off hand, not sure. i never really looked into it considering you would be allowing a highly insecure os to interact with a more secure os. :lol:

you might be able to use nfs if winbloze will support it. sun docs might have an answer for ya.

addemdum: almost forgot... earlier versions (7 & earlier) did come with samba. dunnu about versions 8 and up.

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:47 pm

bah. i was lookin fer a idiot-proof way to get it going (nfs is definitely a no :lol: )...was originally trying to get somehting like mandrake or suse running, so i could jsut do a few clicks to anable sharing...mandrake was being a bit tissy and suse didnt seem to have a default smp to install, so the initial install i had running...was...a...tid....bit...slow. :x part of the main 'idiot-proof' setup was that since its going to be a machine at work, and i might not always be around if needed... :roll: :P ...freebsd is lookin purty good about now...should left the gentoo install i had running on it, but i wanted a nice clean and fresh install to work with :-?

edit: welp, looks like i found my own answer :oops: :lol: :P

http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/
Easily share printers and files across your networks Break down the barriers between platforms to make resource sharing easy. Samba, NFSv4 and FTP -- all integrated into Solaris 10 -- provide native Windows file and print services with the resiliency of UNIX.
:drinking:

Dictator
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Dictator » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:56 pm

mandrake? suse? blah. Go get ubuntu. :lol: Let us know how solaris is. I hope the installer will allow you to install it on different harddrive or partition.

I'm running samba on openbsd. I have no problem with it so far. :P
Give me liberty, or I may well give you death.

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:58 pm

waaa??? so it's packaged with samba (like previous versions) and nfs (like most nix's). :lol:

i know ya said nfs is outta the question, but m$ provides it for free

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:21 pm

ubuntu-
yes, suse/mandrake/etc...like i said, want something "idiot-proof" so the "office" can admin it if need be :roll: :P yep, tried ubuntu too...with this archaic and proprietary compaq i have (its a "workstation" that was designed for NT so its making things a bit harder :-? ) hell, half the time i cant even get some installers to keep the cd going...itll boot up initially, but then when i go to install, it spits back a "no cd found" type error...most of the successful installs ive had with this machine have either been winders or a network/ftp install (tg for freebsd :ohyeah: :D ;) )...oh, and a knoppix hd install i was successful with...but i was having some configuration woes...not being able to tune it quite as i was trying to :-?

nfs-
yeah...considering we keep having a hard time getting the two puters talking to one another, one more thing would just add confusion :lol: :oops: :P ...when it gets too hairy, they usually just re-image the computers, ie, lose any and all installed programs and files...so having to get nfs back up again could be an issue. but then again, it might be a Godsend...might just try and get both working :lol: :P ;)

the hope/idea was to get a standalone file server, running a fairly easy gui/desktop, incase someone other than myself needed to mess with it. just stick it on the network, go to 'network neighborhood' and go on 'bout bidness... :pbt: ;)

edit: no dice on the nfs...the unix services for windows requires 2000, 2003 or xp...one of the machines in question is 98...looks like samba... :-?

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:36 pm

so is this going to be an app server or file server. ima missing something. if you have a hard time getting 2 puters talking to one another how the heck they gonna see the server? :-?

perhaps all you need is some form of nas. of course they don't come cheap.

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:46 pm

just a file server. i can get them to talk, then someone/something borks somehting up and they cant anymore... :x :roll: ...so then the usual solution after wasting half a day trying to get them to work again is to reimage...wash, rinse, repeat. so i figured if there was a central file server with the files on it, then if somehting goes wrong on one of hte machines, it doesnt inhibit the other one. as far as the nas stuff...xerox is too cheap to spring for somehting like that...especially since its really only several megs or so of files that are in question...heck, they wont even spring to upgrade the other computer to something more modern with xp, etc and some of the 'xerox' apps. the 98 puter has some flagship software that never left the harbour :roll: hell, we had em working again last week...then one of the xerox 'analysts' was here this morning on some printing issue...the lady in the office asked him to do somehting on one or both of the machines...guess what...they dont talk to one another properly anymore... :x :evil: :roll: :-? <sigh> of course i wasnt here, so i dunno how he messed it up... :roll:

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:57 pm

welp that sux0r! adaptec's snap server woulda been good for ya. it has support for most everything and is web configurable.

just put a sign at each work station that reads NO TOUCHIE!!! . :lol:

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:16 am

welp, solaris doesnt seem to be liking this machine :evil: keeps saying its finished at the first cd...then when i boot from the hd, it keeps looking to boot from the cd...like it never loaded/installed the scsi drivers...even though it had found and formatted the hd during that initial install phase! :bad-words: :roll: ...i think i have solaris 9 lying around that i might try (then maybe upgrade it to 10 if possible and all goes well)...if that fails, looks like a freebsd install, and/or i might try an old redhat 7.x distro i have lying around :oops: :lol: :P

bah.

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:55 am

hrmmm... i had this happen once in solaris 7. it happened when i upgraded the kernel. after that it wouldn't play nice with the scsi/raid drivers anymore and i was forced to load the drivers from CD on every boot. i ended up having to restore the old kernel until LSI released new scsi/raid drivers.

if you can find newer scsi drivers it may fix your problem.

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:04 am

i think this mama-jama is jsut too old...dual P2 300Mhz, 256MB ram built on a proprietary system based around NT :oops: :lol: :P i was barely able to find the discs for installing the "setup/diagnostic" partition, for accessing the bios (which uses ms-dos and some form of windows :lol: ) so updated drivers are probably out of the question :( ...i think my only hope for solaris at this point is trying a solaris 9 install...i think that i actaully got it installed on it when i first got this machine, but the onboard nic wasnt working, so i put the project off to the side :-?

and it doesnt seem to want to load the system when i stick the cd back in. when its doing the install, it probably only gets to about 20%, then it finishes with CD1...looks like it kinda hangs for a coupla minutes, runs its postinstall scripts and reboots... :-? how 'bouts would i reinstall the driver from the cd?

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:26 am

errr... keep forgettin' it's an antique. does she have a hand crank to start her up with? :lol: :P

welp, if it's like previous versions of solaris, during boot, it will show a menu asking where to boot from. if you don't press any keys, it will continue from the hd. anyhoo, there is an option on that screen (device configuration assistant), "press f4 to install new drivers". then just point it at the driver.

of course, i always had my drivers on diskette, but i don't see why it couldn't load from cd unless of course the cd drivers aren't loaded yet.

now that i think of it, perhaps thats's your problem. most modern bios's recognize the cd as a boot device and are available at power up. your system prolly doesn't even know a cd reader exists until the os loads up drivers for them.

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:37 am

chit, almost sounds like it...has like a six inch fan in the back, then u have the old 9G 10k rpm hd trying to spin up.... :lol: :P

i dont even think i get that far :lol: :oops: :-? once it "finishes" with the cd1, its seems pretty much hosed. when i do try to get it to boot from hd, itll load up the initial configuration screen, and the only boot device it recognizes/tries to boot from at that point is the cdrom...so put in cd1 with the solaris kernel, and begin/repeat the install process.... :x

oh - and the cdrom is bootable, floppy too. thats actually the default boot order: floppy>cd>hd :?:

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:38 am

Dictator
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Dictator » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:45 am

Try netbsd or openbsd. They should be able to work on that machine. If I were you, I would probably try Netbsd first. Openbsd might be intimidating for newcomers.

OpenBSD i386 platform
NetBSD i386 platform
Give me liberty, or I may well give you death.

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:16 am

how are their smp implementations? :P if all else fails, think ima go with the beast...beast for a beast... :pbt: ;)

from searching thru hte doc.sun site, the latest reference i can find for this machine is in solaris 8 :-? ...anyone have solaris 8 lying around...? :P two more things im going to try before consolodating to a known working setup.

1) make a "Device Configuration Assistant" floppy to try and isolate the cd in a sense

and/or

2) try a older solaris install (9...8 if 9 doesnt work and i can find it :P )

:-? :) ;)

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:23 am

3 years too late... i gave jerry (deathbytes) my copy of solaris 8. maybe he can get you a copy.