NetBSD 2.0 released...

Discussion(s) about all things *Nix =-p

Moderators: boat, rickh

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

NetBSD 2.0 released...

Post by boat » Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:07 pm

might be of interest if anyone has any old/odd hardware lying around that they dont know what to run on it or whatnot... :D

courtesy slashdot...:

"NetBSD 2.0 is the tenth major release of the NetBSD Operating System, and has just been released. It can be downloaded from one of the mirror sites. NetBSD is widely known as the most portable operating system in the world. It currently supports fifty four different system architectures, all from a single source tree, and is always being ported to more. NetBSD 2.0 continues the long tradition with major improvements in file system and memory management performance, major security enhancements, and support for many new platforms and peripherals." The release announcement is also available.

:pbt:

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:56 am

anyone tried netbsd yet? pros/cons/comments?

:pbt: ;)

Dictator
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Dictator » Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:10 am

Tried it and I like it. Only one negative is pkgsrc, cousin of FreeBSD's ports. ;)

It's hard to update the installed packages. I ran into some broken ports. :-? If I want to update a package, then it would have to update or reinstall all other packages which depends on that package. Some packages take too long to compile so I gave up because I don't like to waste my time trying to update large packages cuz of one small package! :-? I tried something from this article and I didn't get it to work properly. Maybe you'll have better luck with it. ;)

But please do not think you won't try netbsd 2.0 because of my bad experience with pkgsrc. It's sweet OS though and it has PF! :twisted:
Give me liberty, or I may well give you death.

Dictator
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Dictator » Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:15 am

Doh, forgot to say Pros. I don't see any problem with it. It feels like FreeBSD :lol: It's quite smooth and faster than FreeBSD 5.3 If you install without X windows, the size will be 150 MB! :o

For package list, check this out! If you use pkgsrc, all installed stuff will go to /usr/pkg/* The developers did this so you'd have clean NetBSD system and thus make it easier to upgrade NetBSD to new version. ;)
Give me liberty, or I may well give you death.

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

NetBSD 2.0.2 Released

Post by boat » Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:48 am

netbsd 2.0.2 released, courtesy slashdot...:

"James Chacon of the NetBSD Release Engineering team has announced that update 2.0.2 of the NetBSD operating system is now available. NetBSD 2.0.2 is the second security/critical update of the NetBSD 2.0 release branch. This represents a selected subset of fixes deemed critical in nature for stability or security reasons. More details are available in the NetBSD 2.0.2 Release Announcement."

:)