Discussion(s) about all things *Nix =-p

Moderators: boat, rickh

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

x86-64 Slackware Clone Released

Post by boat » Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:26 pm

another x86-64 choice, based on slaskware linux...courtesy slashdot...:

"Rob_Ogilvie points out that another distribution for x86-64 (AKA AMD64) has been released: "This time it's Slamd64. Slamd64 10.1 is based off Slackware 10.1. Developer Fred Emmott ported Slackware to AMD64 in his spare time, trying to keep the distribution as close to Slackware proper as possible (even keeping binary compatibility for many existing packages). Finally x86-64 users have some real viable choices out there!""

...a blurb from the sites latest news...

"Slamd64 10.1 has been uploaded, and is starting to hit the mirrors. Mostly minor fixes, see the slamd64-announce mailing list posting for details.

Slamd64 is an unofficial port of Slackware Linux to the x86_64 architecture; despite the name containing AMD64, Slamd64 should work both on K8 (AMD64) and EM64T (some Intel) processors.

update: The master mirror, ftp.scarlet.be has had issues regarding rsync timeouts. Until the issue is resolved, please use ftp.heanet.ie which is now rsyncing directly."

:)

Dictator
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Dictator » Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:42 am

So, you are going to try it? I used Slackware before. It's quite nice and simple. It's close thing to BSD for linux distro since it uses bsd init style (rc scripts). Too bad, it doesn't have rc.conf like *BSD uses when you can simply turn off services with YES or NO.
Give me liberty, or I may well give you death.