Entering Enemy Respawn

Maps, news, whatever....

Moderators: boat, [NME]SYSCRUSHER, [NME]T-Bone, Pipo

KaptainSkitzo
Ole Barnacle
Ole Barnacle

Entering Enemy Respawn

Post by KaptainSkitzo » Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:28 pm

Boat and I had a little difference of opinion last night(didn't disrupt gameplay or anything), but I thought I'd post a topic about it just to get everyone's input...

The map was 2fort, and I had a teleporter entrance built in our sniper-side respawn. Boat rjumped up and in and destroyed it. Not a major deal, but I had thought there was a rule on EC1 about entering the enemies respawn. Granted, that is the only respawn that I can recall(on any map) where an enemy can not just enter, but escape before the turret guns them down.
It's not that I mind him having come in there and destroyed it(I can always build another), it's just that I was under the impression that respawn was "off limits". I guess that begs the question....IS respawn off limits completely, or is it allowed IF(and only if) there is a structure built in there, or is it simply "anything goes".
I'm asking, simply for clarity. I've entered the server(on 2fort, ironically) and just for fun, built an SG in the enemies respawn, just waiting for someone to join. Sure, it's cheap...but kinda amusing if ya don't go overboard with it.
Like I said, this isn't any big deal...I'm just looking for clarity on this.
"There are thousands of people out there who say I am *NOT* right in the head. There are thousands more out there who say I *AM* right in the head. The funny thing is, they all make these claims for the SAME REASONS!"
-Me.

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:44 am

the way i see it is that anything that is intentionally directed at respawn is off-limits, beings as though its typically a one-way out area, ie, players have to come out of there. ie, stuff like piping a spawn the whole map, or camping outside/running into respawn simply to infect everyone...those kind of intentional things. imo, anything built is a offense/defense advantage, is part of the game, and thusly has the ability to be destroyed just as it has the ability to be built. and if its built in a readily accessable location, then so be it...gives the enemy opportunity to destroy that advantage.

thats like building in rock2 respawn but then compaining about respawn spam....if u dont want ur repawn spammed, then dont build ur defense in respawn, simple as that.

or like fighting from respawn...the guy that has set pipe traps someplace, then sits at his respawn doors waiting for the enemy...of course he's gonna get shot at, in turn would be considered someone shooting/spamming at respawn, but the only reason that even happened was due to the guy that was essentially fighting from his respawn.

or even the snipers that complain about respawn camping, like on 2fort. here they are tagging/killing anyone that crosses the bridge, then cower back into repsawn as soon as danger arises. you reap what u sow...if ur shooting at someone, then expect to be shot back, dont try to scapegoat out by using respawn camping...u shot them and retreated...expect to be shot back at. i never understood why snipers would get high and mighty about that :roll: this also coincides with people that fight from spawn/retreat to spawn halfway in a battle...if u run into spawn when we're both half dead, ur damn straight ima toss my last primed nade right behind u, or squeeze off that last shot, before i keep on truckin, so dont complain about spawn spam :-?

but all this doesnt mean that everything goes..thats just, well...ignorant....

building a sg in enemy spawn is just like spawn camping/infecting...yes, its built and can be destroyed, but its one of those intentional cases, where if its done, that was simply what u were trying to achieve.

and as far as what i was doing the other nite, a teleporter was built, i was simply destroying it....i wasnt camping or spamming respawn...i jumped up, took out the tele, and either died or got out...nothing more, nothing less. though a few people were crying respawn spam...there was only maybe one or two cases that anyone was even in there when it happened, so that was an unfounded complaint. first time someone was in there, they were trying to use the tele, therefore got bombarded with a rocket or two and a nade...second time there was a sg beside it, ie, sg and tele... :roll:

and if u want another entering respawn case that imo is allowable is the water spawn on well. it gives another means to the flagroom, so if im running by, someones coming out and i think about it, ima slip in and go thru the water...not shooting or infecting anyone, jsut passing thru... ;)

in short...

-do unto others as u would have them do unto u...
-alls fair in love and war...
-theres almost always an exception to the rule...

:myflag:

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:52 pm

*also forgot to note how the introduction of the teleport has also changed the dynamic of the game, which is essentially how this 'debate' started in the first place, in that i was taking out a tele. :-?

in this case, it gave the defender a tactical advantage int hat they could get to the flagroom sooner, and in turn was a tactical advantage for the offense to take out so that they had a better chance at getting to the flagroom before the defender in order to get the flag :-? ;)

KaptainSkitzo
Ole Barnacle
Ole Barnacle

Post by KaptainSkitzo » Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:14 pm

Thanks Boat. That's what I was looking for. I like a detailed answer like that. :tup:

Like I said, I wasn't trying to make an issue out of it(and I'm glad you didn't take it that way), I just wanted clarity on the do's and don'ts. It's all good.
On with the gaming!!
:zap:
"There are thousands of people out there who say I am *NOT* right in the head. There are thousands more out there who say I *AM* right in the head. The funny thing is, they all make these claims for the SAME REASONS!"
-Me.