What to do when the server is dead!?

Maps, news, whatever....

Moderators: boat, [NME]T-Bone, [NME]SYSCRUSHER, Pipo

[NME]Myth
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

What to do when the server is dead!?

Post by [NME]Myth » Thu Apr 11, 2002 12:39 pm

Hi peoples. Since I'm sitting here on my lunch break (of course I read this anyways even not at lunch 8)), I thought I'd ask and share what helps to attract players.

For example, yesterday afternoon (around 6), there were only 3 of us on. We were sniping on 2fort, and it was the 3 of us for a while. I decided to put on 2fortsniper just because. Well within 10 minutes of that map coming up, there were about 15 people on! I have noticed other maps attract players as well such as turkeyburgers and bounce. Shows how popular sniping is, too bad I suck at it. :x

Anybody know of other maps that help this cause?

Also, if you connect and you are the only 1 on. STAY ON! Sometimes, the regulars will all come on if just 1 person is on. I find myself in that lonely position a lot and people will show up within 10 minutes. Well usually.
LET'S GO HOKIES!!!

Zosima
Baby Barnacle
Baby Barnacle

Post by Zosima » Thu Apr 11, 2002 2:40 pm

I'm on a short break myself, so I thought I'd drop a line. I hope you don't mind a non-NME person responding.

I drop by your server from time to time. Some of you have probably already heard me complain about some of the maps. I prefer the more popular/standard maps myself. I know a lot of the NME people like a variety and enjoy lots of different maps. Us non-NME'ers aren't likely to say much because it's your server so you're free to use whatever maps you want.

For my part, though, I usually only play for an hour or so a day (except Friday nights). I usually look at your server first. If it is running an "oddball" map [I know... odball is my word for it.. "fun" is your word for it], I usually find another server. If I'm playing on your server and it switches to an "oddball" map, I usually switch to another server. I'm not saying I'm right or anything, I'm just giving you the facts.

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Cool

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Thu Apr 11, 2002 3:05 pm

I'm glad you replied Zosima. That's why we have this forum and outside comments are always welcome and appreciated.

I'm kind of nastolgic (sp?) myself. The Rock2 is still one of my favorite maps.

[NME]Myth
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

That's a shame

Post by [NME]Myth » Thu Apr 11, 2002 3:38 pm

Some of my favorite maps are custom maps. I like the standard maps too, well not avanti, but you really should give some of them a try. The problem with a lot of them is they are made with lots of players in mind (ie totalwar and turnon) and then only a few of us have it so it isn't as fun.

You gotta at least participate in Murderball-2001 all day Friday!

We are in the process of getting our ftp all set up with all custom maps played on our server and are setting up all the zip files so they all extract to the same folder for easier installation. Hopefully non-NME's pick up on this and we have a full server no matter the map.
LET'S GO HOKIES!!!

Kinam
Baby Barnacle
Baby Barnacle

maps

Post by Kinam » Thu Apr 11, 2002 4:06 pm

don't know if you knew this, but lambdabunker is actually both DM and TFC capable...I duno if sys / pipo / whoever is running map voting list has that on it...but I've seen it played and it actually has flags and cap points for the two teams...

I know we love the CTF matches...but what's really fun is loading up one of those valve DM maps...like that one with the big field ... anyway, have only 2 teams picked, and just try to establish a base so to say LOL ... and the objective of course is to kill everyone, but also to try to keep the oposing team from building a good sized base...

Just my thoughts

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

buk...buk.....BACKAWH

Post by boat » Thu Apr 11, 2002 5:33 pm

we've been trying to figure out a good cycle of maps to combat this problem. at first/currently, we thought that maybe a run of "old" maps and then a run of "new" maps would be suffice. that way we would have plenty of time to "advertise" the website, the ftp, and the current maps cycle during the "old" map run so people know which maps to get, and they would have time to jot down the addresses. but recently we figured that our current "algorithm" :wink: of 4 old > 4 new wasn't working too well, so i guess we need a new run. I think our next experiment is to have a run of:

old>old>old>new>new>old>new>new

our major guidline is that the total mapcycle can't be _too_ long, so we came up with an 8 map run. the second guidline we came up with is to allow enough time via "regualr" maps to allow people to find out where/how/which maps to download. and the final decision was that we needed at least a 2 "new" map span, so people have the time to download. :-?

And in closing :wink: the ftp situation is all worked out, and the Public ftp has been updated with the current map cycle, and then some. and will be updated accordingly/as needed :D so all the maps that get played "reguarly on EC1, _should_ be found on the Public ftp:

ftp://maps:maps@208.22.102.242/

and if something is missing or wrong or anyhitng else, just make a post, or shoot an email, and the problem will be resolved :D

BTW, a note about the map/zip scheme:
- any maps that are just hte .bsp and .txt should just be unzipped to the ./HL/tfc/maps folder;
- and any maps that include several files (.bsp, .wad, etc) have all been checked/rezipped so that they should be extracted to the ./HL/ directory, with "Use Folder Name" option checked, and the files should extract to their proper places :)