FAr Cry

What the heck other games do ya'll play (if you're not playing tfc..<ahem>)

Moderators: boat, rickh

Rork
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

FAr Cry

Post by Rork » Wed May 11, 2005 9:39 am

Looks like Far Cry has gone 64bit....... all you peeps that have a 64bit Processor and Far Cry, may want to chack out thisStory

0X
"I'm Not as Think as You Stoned I am"

!biA biA!

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Wed May 11, 2005 10:08 am

i was reading about this yesterday on anandtech. the 64 bit version doesn't really use the cpu to it's potential and performance is minimal, however the graphics are better. here is another article from amd.

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Wed May 11, 2005 2:19 pm

...gotta be runnin 64bit winders too... :?

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Wed May 11, 2005 3:19 pm

boat wrote:...gotta be runnin 64bit winders too... :?
The patch and the exclusive content update will only install under Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, so 32-bit XP Professional users will not be able to even install the additional content patch. Despite being very tightly associated with AMD, the new Far Cry patches will work on Intel EM64T enabled systems as well.

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:00 pm

So, anyone here actually play this thing, either version? Good, bad, sucks?
T-Bone

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos
will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

Cobra
Crusty Ole Barnacle
Crusty Ole Barnacle

Post by Cobra » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:16 am

A friend let me borrow it to see how I liked it but haven't taken the time to install.
I had played the demo and was overwelmed at the lush jungle.
This is something I have always wanted in TFC for sniping.

Now I just installed Age of Empires III and it keeps locking up the machine :evil:

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:09 am

Cobra wrote: Now I just installed Age of Empires III and it keeps locking up the machine :evil:
does it have copy protection? i got 2 games that came with my vid card. both are from ubisoft - splinter cell3 chaos theory, and prince of persia, warrior within. after installing splinter cell weird chit started happening. whenever i'd put a blank cd/dvd in the burner, the "open with" dialog would pop up, but the list was empty. turns out that ubisoft likes to use a drm not unlike the piece of crap that sony/bmg just got into trouble over. starforce installs itself as a device driver. when installing the game, the eula never mentions the fact that star force is being installed. do a google on "starforce drm" or "starforce problems" and read all the horror stories. luckily starforce has developed a removal tool and after uninstalling splinter cell and running the removal tool things went back to working ok. i should have known something was up when at the end of the game installation it required a reboot.

anyhoo, starforce seems to uneffect some systems and clobber others. too bad too, because i was really liking the 1st mission in splinter cell... awesome graphics, but i was having a hard time running dvd decrypter, dvd shrink, and even nero until i removed starforce.

if you ever come across a game that uses starforce, create a restore point before installing it. there are several large game lists on the net and most of the games are from ubisoft.
T-Bone

Cobra
Crusty Ole Barnacle
Crusty Ole Barnacle

Post by Cobra » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:58 pm

Well according to Daemon's site AOE III uses SmartE protection.

http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/gamedb.php?letter=A

I have booted the machine "clean" and it didnt help. So maybe it dont like something about my vidieo card.

Could it be a bad ram issue? I have had a few instances where my machine will just reboot outta the blue. Dammit. :evil:

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:09 pm

If ya wanna test your ram, you can use memtest. Just let it run for 5 passes or more (9 tests per pass). It may take a while, even on newer machines. I usually just let it run overnight.

Also, if you have a antivirus program running, you might want to disable it. HL2 used to drop out the the desktop with some of the A/V programs I ran.
T-Bone

Cobra
Crusty Ole Barnacle
Crusty Ole Barnacle

Post by Cobra » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:35 am

Well I tried the memtest for about 4 cycles. This is a program best suited to use when you dont need the computer. :-?

Anyway Im sure that wasnt enough cycles but Im thinking one way to narrow down the problems Im having is to put another clean hard drive in and load up AOE and see what happens then.
Would try the newer version they have out but it will kill my no cd. :D

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:41 am

Cobra wrote:Well I tried the memtest for about 4 cycles. This is a program best suited to use when you dont need the computer. :-?
... thus the let it run overnight. ;)
T-Bone