trouble

Got a tip you think would benefit someone? maybe you know a good strategy for a particular map?

Moderators: boat, rickh

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:49 pm

thats right...fergot ur mr conspirator... :roll: :lol: :oops: :P ;)

so the only way uve been able to resolve this each time is a complete os reinstall? :?

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:22 pm

Rork wrote:
boat wrote:turn off the network card for security? u dont run a router/firewall or anything between the modem and computer?

is the nic a card or built-in/onboard?

have u tried to play other games thru steam when tfc is crashing (cs, hl2dm, dod, etc)?
yes i do have a router..... and I run norton internet security.. just calm down i still think my way helps.. :P
I use a NIC card.. no on-baord...

yes it is all games not just TFC

0X
http://www.computerworld.com/securityto ... source=x10

:rofl:

Rork
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Rork » Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:23 pm

boat wrote:thats right...fergot ur mr conspirator... :roll: :lol: :oops: :P ;)

so the only way uve been able to resolve this each time is a complete os reinstall? :?
said who?? I'm not "mr conspirator",
I'm "Mr. I not just going to take your word for it, If I think something doesn't add up I will question the stated facts"

if you didn't have people like me, the world would still be flat and the theory of evolution would still be a plot to weaken the church...

but alas, i can't truthfuly say that these things are true or not either.. Only a foolish person would state a fact, to be 100% accurate, that they haven't learned from their own experience, from experimental deduction, or from a strictly proven method of evalutive reasoning... imo.. that is ;)

yes this is the only way I have been able to get around the problem.. this is what leads me to think it could be a HD issue or even a driver thing.. just don't make any sense to me though why, if it were a driver or hd issue, wouldn't something else not work.. and not just the steam games.. <shrug>
"I'm Not as Think as You Stoned I am"

!biA biA!

Rork
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Rork » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:18 am

is anyone having trouble with steam's off-line mode?

I keep getting this error.. when I do turn on my internet connection I can use steam but when it is turned off , I can't use steam at all.. :roll: :-?
Attachments
Error.JPG
this is the error i get

!biA biA!

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:30 am

i haven't tried to play in offline mode since before i finished hl2, however if ya remember this is one of the major b!tches i kept griping about in my earlier posts.

also, since the last update i have not been able to connect to the "friends" list and anytime i choose "view server info" to see who is on a server, the window opens up half way off the bottom of my screen and i have to drag it back to center. this is also reminicent of one of my other prior b!tches where my friends window kept opening up off the right hand side of my screen. fortunately that was fixed a few updates back.

it seems the only thing steam is friggin good for is online gaming... might as well have stuck with the won servers.

Rork
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Rork » Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:08 pm

yeah I noticed this problem I am having since the last up-date which occured about 2 days ago.. I have steam installed on two computers.. the one I use for Hammer and to test games only, so it doesn't get upated as much as the other.. the other i use at home..

I updated my puter at home and notice this off-line error right away. but up until a few hoours ago, i hadn't updated the other computer. all was fine, (off-line mode was working, tested it today), until I acctually connected to steam and did the up-date.. now, (just 10 mins after testing off-line), it doesn't work.. it obvious that the up-date caused the problem.... i just wonder if they will catch it soon.. :-? it seems it may have to do with the VAC security thing , or sumtin <shrug>

can someone check tonight and see if they get this error too....?

what a pain inda :()():

!biA biA!

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:10 pm

just leave ur durned net connection on, der :roll: :P probably easier to just unplug it from the router/back of the computer, and even more secure :pbt: ;)

shizzle. my friends thing got borked like a month or so ago, plus it hasnt connected very well since (not at all as of late)...not that it did any good since it borked my list :bad-words:

Rork
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Rork » Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:18 pm

boat wrote:just leave ur durned net connection on, der :roll: :P probably easier to just unplug it from the router/back of the computer, and even more secure :pbt: ;)

shizzle. my friends thing got borked like a month or so ago, plus it hasnt connected very well since (not at all as of late)...not that it did any good since it borked my list :bad-words:
yeah even so, that still doesn't resolve the off-line mode not werking.. :P :roll: :-? ;)

!biA biA!

Dictator
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Dictator » Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:53 pm

Why do you need steam off-line? I thought you can leave it on when you play any steam game. I must have missed the point somewhere. :oops:
Give me liberty, or I may well give you death.

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:01 pm

why would ya want steam online hogging up resources just to play hl2 or some other game offline?

Dictator
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Dictator » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:34 am

[NME]T-Bone wrote:why would ya want steam online hogging up resources just to play hl2 or some other game offline?
Didn't notice any problem with steam online when I played hl2.

Rork
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Rork » Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:20 pm

Dictator wrote:Why do you need steam off-line? I thought you can leave it on when you play any steam game. I must have missed the point somewhere. :oops:
yeah you can, but i want to use it off-line and it won't let me.. it is an option so it figures you should be able to use it.... just wanted to know if anyone else is having the same problem.. thats all , nbd...

0X

ps.... what would you do if you wanted to play HL2 and your internet connection went out..? if off-line mode isn't working , you can't play without the internet... :roll: :oops: ;)

!biA biA!

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:24 pm

Rork wrote: ps.... what would you do if you wanted to play HL2 and your internet connection went out..? if off-line mode isn't working , you can't play without the internet... :roll: :oops: ;)
which is exactly what happened to me a day after i got hl2 and my internet went down for 4 days!!! :bad-words:

Dictator
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Dictator » Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:44 pm

Rork wrote:ps.... what would you do if you wanted to play HL2 and your internet connection went out..? if off-line mode isn't working , you can't play without the internet... :roll: :oops: ;)
If that happens then I'd do something else. ;) :P

Paradroid
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Paradroid » Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:32 pm

i borrowed my cousin's laptop, and i can play HL2 in offline mode without a problem....

i agree, it would make no sense at all, if you can't play a single player game without an internet connection.
Parad®σιd

Rork
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Rork » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:24 pm

maybe i should reinstal HL2 and see if that helps... :-? :roll: that would sux though because I have, up until now, been able to play TFC in off-line mode... without having HL2 installed............. the game itself (TFC) goes into Developer Mode when you are in off-line and i use this with the hammer mapping software....

!biA biA!

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:32 pm

welp, i've found your offline problem i beleeb. seems to have to do with xp and the loopback address. of course valve should adress this problem themselves. the last page or so has a link for instructions on setting up a loopback adapter.

Rork
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Rork » Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:00 pm

[NME]T-Bone wrote:welp, i've found your offline problem i beleeb. seems to have to do with xp and the loopback address. of course valve should adress this problem themselves. the last page or so has a link for instructions on setting up a loopback adapter.
kwel.... i'll try that and let yas know if it werks... Thx!

!biA biA!

Rork
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Rork » Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:19 pm

Rork wrote:
[NME]T-Bone wrote:welp, i've found your offline problem i beleeb. seems to have to do with xp and the loopback address. of course valve should adress this problem themselves. the last page or so has a link for instructions on setting up a loopback adapter.
kwel.... i'll try that and let yas know if it werks... Thx!
:cheers: :master:
:thewave:
:okay2: alright! :respect:
hey, thx T-Bone, werked like a charm... i got sumtin for ya next time i see ya

:pot:

!biA biA!

Dictator
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Dictator » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:45 pm

Rork wrote:hey, thx T-Bone, werked like a charm... i got sumtin for ya next time i see ya
Gonna give him a kick in groin? :oops: :roll: :P