Steam & lag -> cochise

Got a tip you think would benefit someone? maybe you know a good strategy for a particular map?

Moderators: boat, rickh

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Steam & lag -> cochise

Post by boat » Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:42 pm

cochise, if/when u read this... :P

hopefully this collage will better show what i was trying to explain what to look for to see if/what in steam might be lagging you...tried to highlight the important stuffs :oops: :)

u might wanna go to the 'properties' of any colored (installed) game (uninstalled games are greyed out).

:)
Attachments
steam.jpg
Last edited by boat on Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cochise
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Re: Steam & lag -> cochise

Post by Cochise » Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:21 am

boat wrote:cochise, if/when u read this... :P

hopefully this collage will better show what i was trying to explain what to look for to see if/what in steam might be lagging you...tried to highlight the important stuffs :oops: :)

u might wanna go to the 'properties' of any colored (installed) game (uninstalled games are greyed out).

:)
I did check it and that was the problem. It was downloading a 392Mb update. I waited til it finished and right clicked on the tfc and halflife logos in the game menu. It will bring up a properties option and from there you can tell it not to update the game you have chosen.

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:29 am

kewlbeans. i think for tfc, u still need to have "half-Life/valve" installed, since its the basis of all these games, ie, all u really need it "team fortress classic" and "half-life"...unless of course u wanna play DoD or CS or anything else :P :wink:

Rork
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Rork » Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:41 pm

---Dont mind me--- I wanna try this whe I get home

Steam Users Forums > Game Discussions > Team Fortress Classic > Lagging Bad...

I think the first thing you'll want to check is what rate you're using.
Sometimes your rate will get reset to 1500 which is awful.
Bring up the console and type: rate then enter to find out what it is... what this should be depends on your connection.
If you're on ADSL or Cable I'd suggest the following settings (all in console)
rate 25000
cl_updaterate 100
cl_cmdrate 100

Or for a modem:
rate 4200
cl_updaterate 30
cl_cmdrate 20

0X
"I'm Not as Think as You Stoned I am"

!biA biA!

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:57 pm

"rate" has been depricated for a while now from what i understand...even during WON...the "new" rate command should be "cl_rate" :)

Rork
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Rork » Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:10 pm

boat wrote:"rate" has been depricated for a while now from what i understand...even during WON...the "new" rate command should be "cl_rate" :)
Thx yo, do you happen to know how to change this setting?

I tried cl_rate <changed value> but it didnt work :oops: :-?

!biA biA!

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:02 pm

Rork wrote:
boat wrote:"rate" has been depricated for a while now from what i understand...even during WON...the "new" rate command should be "cl_rate" :)

i think it is opposite, cl_rate has been replaced by rate. if you type "rate" in console, you should see it appear in the dropdown list. If you hit "enter" without selecting a number, it will display the current rate setting.

Rork
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Rork » Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:23 pm

[NME]T-Bone wrote:
Rork wrote:

i think it is opposite, cl_rate has been replaced by rate. if you type "rate" in console, you should see it appear in the dropdown list. If you hit "enter" without selecting a number, it will display the current rate setting.
been there done that.... :oops: :-? it is cl_rate :oops: and it comes up as 9999.00000 : :cry: How do I cahnge it :-? :(

0X
bia bia

!biA biA!

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:13 pm

Rork wrote:
[NME]T-Bone wrote:
Rork wrote: Thx yo, do you happen to know how to change this setting?

been there done that.... :oops: :-? it is cl_rate :oops: and it comes up as 9999.00000 : :cry: How do I cahnge it :-? :(

0X
bia bia
doing it in the console like that shoulda done it...unless ur config.cfg is readonly, then it might not be saving :-? ...oh, and u know not to include the "< >" when u do it in the console, right? :oops: :P :wink:

cl_rate 9999.0

not

cl_rate <9999.0>

;) :P

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:28 pm

Taken from your other post on console commands. :P
[NME]T-Bone wrote:You can no longer reliably control your cl_rate (ever since steam) because when you do, it automatically changes your connection settings in your steam menu. i.e. if you have steam set at "dsl >256k" and you change the cl_rate via console then look back in your steam menu you'll notice it has changed to "T1 or greater", ISDN, or anything other than what you originally had it set for. I'm on cable too and I have my menu set to "dsl >256k" I believe. This work fine for me.

Rork
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Rork » Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:10 pm

boat wrote:
doing it in the console like that shoulda done it...unless ur config.cfg is readonly, then it might not be saving :-? ...oh, and u know not to include the "< >" when u do it in the console, right? :oops: :P :wink:
cl_rate 9999.0
not
cl_rate <9999.0>
;) :P

:drinking: :pot: :pot: :drinking:

Is that why those other console comands aren't staying put.. :roll: :-? "developer 1 etc....." or Is the 9999.00000 the highest it will go? :oops:

Thanks for all the Help , you too T-Bone.. :wink:

BTW.. in messing with these settings , "cl_updaterate" "cl_cmdrate" and adjusting the "connections setting" I have notice a difference with my latencey/lag... although the numbers im using seem quite low :oops: ..
cl_updaterate 30
cl_cmdrate 35

The Higher I go the worse the lag/ping gets :oops: :cry: :-?

what are your numbers set at..?

!biA biA!

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:36 pm

Rork wrote: BTW.. in messing with these settings , "cl_updaterate" "cl_cmdrate" and adjusting the "connections setting" I have notice a difference with my latencey/lag... although the numbers im using seem quite low :oops: ..
cl_updaterate 30
cl_cmdrate 35

The Higher I go the worse the lag/ping gets :oops: :cry: :-?

what are your numbers set at..?
as u found out, the higher u go, the more lag...what ur doing is asking/getting more data when u set those higher, so its eating more bandwidth, and asking for too much if its too high...id say to just go into the internet properties and find which one of the presets seem to work the best...think i have mine on 256k dsl or sumn like dat :-? :)