vid card

Got a tip you think would benefit someone? maybe you know a good strategy for a particular map?

Moderators: boat, rickh

Cochise
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

vid card

Post by Cochise » Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:29 am

Most of you probably already know this but I found out the hard way. Stay away for ATI RADEON cards if you play TFC and Half-life. Their open gl sucks. About once a month TFC would not load and lock up my pc and I narrowed the problem down to the ATI drivers. I had fixed it a number of times but the problem ends up returning.The decision to go back to my Voodoo 3 card was made when I was reading the install notes for Mozilla 1.7 where it said that some ATI drivers cause Mozilla to crash. What kind of card is it when it might not even be compatible with a web browser???

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:13 pm

I haven't used any ATI cards since the early 90's. I had the Graphics Ultra (Mach 8 chipset) then upgraded to the Graphics Ultra Pro (Mach 32 chipset). Both cards worked great, but couldn't compare to my first 3DFX card - Voodoo baby, voodoo!!!

I can't remember if ATI cards did opengl back then. The voodoo cards used a subset of opengl.

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:51 pm

voodoo3 3000 kicks arse on a ppro200 :ohyeah: i was in awe at tfc when i upgraded to that from like a 2 or 4MB number9 card :oops: :lol: :P 'unreal' in glide on the voodoo3 was pretty sweet too :P ;)