TF2

Got some good dish on TF2? Got a heads up on a new patch/update?

Moderators: boat, rickh

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Re: TF2

Post by boat » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:17 am

no settings that i know of. all the classes just move slow overall...they really nerfed the player speeds/movement, in addition the fov is locked at 75, which probably attributes a little bit of the perceived slowness. so sorry to say, but i think its meant to be played that way. i think they sacrificed alot in order to make it playable on the console... :x for instance, in one of the earlier trailers, the demo even had what appeared to be a mirv nade (that cluster of dynamite that he threw at an sg)...and went with those "sticky bombs" instead of the "green" pipebombs that were shown in the same trailer. :?

no troubles rjumping for me. i havent tried for any height records or nothing, but i was able to rjump where i wanted to, so i didnt really notice either way :P

oh, anyone figure out why the soldier shoots those fizzy/flared rockets sometimes? i thought it was when i jumped and shot, but that didnt seem to be the case. :?

maybe when its officially released, and the sdk and such is out, someone will make a mod that includes nades, fov changes, and more movement control... :pbt:

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:50 am

boat wrote:no settings that i know of. all the classes just move slow overall...they really nerfed the player speeds/movement, in addition the fov is locked at 75, which probably attributes a little bit of the perceived slowness. so sorry to say, but i think its meant to be played that way. i think they sacrificed alot in order to make it playable on the console... :x for instance, in one of the earlier trailers, the demo even had what appeared to be a mirv nade (that cluster of dynamite that he threw at an sg)...and went with those "sticky bombs" instead of the "green" pipebombs that were shown in the same trailer. :?

no troubles rjumping for me. i havent tried for any height records or nothing, but i was able to rjump where i wanted to, so i didnt really notice either way :P

oh, anyone figure out why the soldier shoots those fizzy/flared rockets sometimes? i thought it was when i jumped and shot, but that didnt seem to be the case. :?

maybe when its officially released, and the sdk and such is out, someone will make a mod that includes nades, fov changes, and more movement control... :pbt:
uggh! i was wondering where the mirv was. i figured since it was a beta it might be included in the final release. seemed i couldn't get more than 10 feet high or so on rj's. i could get on low roofs, but nothing compared to the trailers. the fizzy rockets i do beleeb are a bug. i think i saw something about them in the steam forums. speaking of fov, that sniper scope sure cuts down on your fov compared to the zoom of tfc. granted the scope is more realistic but sheesh, even my hunting rifle has a wide angle scope on it.

also, i think the power needs tweaked on some of the weapons lump as engy killed me (soldier) with one shotgun blast and i had just spawned with full h/a.

I think the spawn timer needs to be 0-5 seconds, not 20 seconds. As someone in the steam forums said:

Playing defense last night, I found myself rushing to the resupply when I was low on life rather than taking out the enemy player going for the flag. I'd rather lose than spend the whole game sitting in spectator mode.

"Take the flag, just don't kill me!"

I felt the same way. :P :lol:
T-Bone

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos
will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

Lump
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Lump » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:06 pm

oh, anyone figure out why the soldier shoots those fizzy/flared rockets sometimes? i thought it was when i jumped and shot, but that didnt seem to be the case.
Possibly a critical shot? I know bullets and stuff have a different color to them if they're critical shots, I'm just not sure what the rockets look like.
also, i think the power needs tweaked on some of the weapons lump as engy killed me (soldier) with one shotgun blast and i had just spawned with full h/a.
Probably was a critical shot as well. Which brings me to the point that critical shots are frigging lame. Takes away part of the skill aspect and replaces it with luck. I also agree that damage on weapons needs to be tweaked down, I know I got 1-shot several times by soldiers and demomen. I've also heard that scouts are offensive and defensive beasts in TF2 because of their scattergun. Dying is just way too quick for all classes especially since there's a 30 sec respawn. Either tone down the damage, or get rid of the respawn timer.

Pyro seems like it sucks. The flamethrower does decent damage now, but they lost the incendiary cannon. Getting up close to use the flamethrower just found myself dying alot. And good luck killing SGs.

I found myself playing HWGuy a lot yesterday when pubbing just because they've got the most survivability, and medics tend to stick to the HWGuys. That combo works really well, had quite a bit of fun actually with this really good medic.

Overall I'm not sure what to think of TF2 yet. Guess it depends on whether Valve lowers respawn timers and lowers damage all around. If not, then I have a feeling it's not gonna hold my interest as long as TFC was able to.

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:35 pm

Looking in the forums, it looks as if the respawn timer is a server side variable. being able to disable it would be nice. Also, it was said that the spawn timer starts when the 1st person dies so that anyone dying within those 30 seconds has less time to wait, sort of like the team spawn in DoD. personally, I hadn't noticed it as every time I looked, the timer was at 20 seconds or higher.
T-Bone

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:27 am

Lump wrote:Which brings me to the point that critical shots are frigging lame.
agree!!! after playing again last night, i must say that it seems that most shots are critical shots. i'm definately spending more time in spawn than on the field. yeah, i know, don't get killed yadda yadda. i think the longest i survived so far is 4:30 and i think that was just because that is how long it took me to get to the other side of the map where the action was. :lol: my frag/death ratio is about 50/50 but i sure have to work hard at killing.

hopefully a lot of this will be changed before release because as is i'm finding myself wanting to leave the game within an hour of playing.
T-Bone

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:48 am

played on a couple servers last night that had the spawn timer set to 12 sec. or less. That made a big diff in gameplay. actually was having a blast playing last night until my internet connection went down. :(
T-Bone

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:08 am

After the last TF2 & steam update (friday) has anyone been experiencing an occasional white streak passing vertically from top to bottom across the center of your screen?

I've been running nvidia beta drivers since bioshock was released. That was weeks before tf2 came out. i didn't get the streaks until after friday's update, but i'm not ruling out the vid drivers yet.
T-Bone

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:50 am

New updates released: sux that affinity is set to 1 cpu on clients, grrr!!!

Updates to Team Fortress 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:

Team Fortress 2

* Fixed a crash with ATI cards running on Vista
* Fixed a networking problem that could cause a crash certain types of home networking hardware with out of date firmware installed
* Fixed a networking problem that could cause some animation jittering
* Fixed bug causing incorrect .dem files to be written (all files after first .dem file would be corrupted)
* Fixed bug with placement of teleporters that could result in players being unable to move
* Removed mp_friendlyfire cvar for servers. Team Fortress 2 breaks in a number of ways if this is on
* Fixed some truncated strings in the destroy menu
* Spectators can now see all player classes in the scoreboard
* When a round finishes, if there's less than 5 minutes left on the timelimit, the server now goes ahead and switches level right away, instead of going into Sudden Death
* The affinity of the main thread is not set explicitly for dedicated servers. This will properly load balance multiple instances of the dedicated server running on a multi-processor machine. The affinity is still set to CPU 1 for clients and listen servers
* Fixed crash on startup
* Fixed crash caused by .dlls being loaded from the user's path, instead of from the install directory
T-Bone

Cobra
Crusty Ole Barnacle
Crusty Ole Barnacle

Post by Cobra » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:27 am

Anyone seen the "open the orange box" commercial yet? Saw it lastnight on the Science ch.

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:36 am

yep...discovery channel seems to play it every so often as well... :P

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:31 pm

T-Bone

Cobra
Crusty Ole Barnacle
Crusty Ole Barnacle

Post by Cobra » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:42 pm

Would you believe it if I told you I just did a search for NME on Google and this is what I found. :o
http://www.nmeclan.net/index.php

I take it the EC1 has been down for a while too?
Damn Im old and molded.

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:42 pm

Cobra
Crusty Ole Barnacle
Crusty Ole Barnacle

Post by Cobra » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:41 am

LOL, thats cool. So what are the spiney looking gernades called?

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:40 pm

sticky bombs. ;) KABOOOOM!!!
T-Bone

EThantos
Baby Barnacle
Baby Barnacle

Post by EThantos » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:11 am

Those blue rockets coming out of the soldier deals more damage to the enemy so if you get a group of 3 people clustered together and you shoot that blue rocket at them, all of them would die. That's what happened to me on one ocassion playing as a soldier. Also, if you're a demoman, hold down the mouse1 fire button when using sticky bombs, it powers those suckers up and clings to the walls. It deals more damage if you do that to each one but I wish they included that throwing grenade at the sg in the trailer. That was a nice addition and was hoping they included but I guess not. I must say, I feel cumbersome playing as the sniper since my fov has been compromised and have to zoom out all the time to figure out where I'm aiming at. Have to agree you on the respawn time, its way too long. A great example is the map hydro which I'm hating at the moment. The opposing team can't reach the capture point in time to setup and defend.

That's all out of me for now :-)

By the way, hello again my fellow friends.

Etrigan

[NME]SANDMAN
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]SANDMAN » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:02 pm

looks like a nad mod is being developed for TF2!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mRZjKFzw1k

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:10 pm

Pretty cool. I dunno if nades would work well in tf2. It's already hard enough to get thru some of the choke points on certain maps. Nades would make it near impossible. Bringing back the detpak for the demo would be cool though.
T-Bone

Cobra
Crusty Ole Barnacle
Crusty Ole Barnacle

Post by Cobra » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:37 pm

Well, how is TF2 compared to TFC? Been a long time, and I haven't tried the new one yet. I just wished we could go back. :(

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:41 pm

Doh! sorry cobra... i didn't even notice your last post. For the most part, tf2 is like tfc. It does require more teamwork though since most of the maps are cap point based and not CTF based.

...speaking of maps, this map look like it could be fun, and class upgrades are definately new to tf.

http://www.tomsgames.com/us/2008/04/17/tf2_updates/
T-Bone