Fortress Forever

Got some good dish on TF2? Got a heads up on a new patch/update?

Moderators: boat, rickh

[NME]SANDMAN
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Re: Fortress Forever

Post by [NME]SANDMAN » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:06 pm

New update and a new dev journal.

http://www.fortress-forever.com/

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:21 pm

doh! finish tf2 already!
T-Bone

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos
will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

Iggy
Baby Barnacle
Baby Barnacle

Post by Iggy » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:48 pm

It is with great pleasure that we announce Fortress Forever will be released this September, and of course it will be free to all halflife 2 owners :). The game will release with 10 core maps featuring 6 different game modes centering around capture the flag, and capture and defend gameplay. Spread the word and get ready for action!
This from the new front page news on the FF site. No actual DATE, but at least they are divulging that it will be out this month. Keep your eyes open, but know that I will come in here and let everyone know that it is available once it is. That is, of course, someone doesn't beat me to it(feel free to do so!). I can tell you this much; Having played it in it's Beta state...the game is pretty damned good. There is a built in "help" system that will help familiarize both old TF players, as well as new players on different classes and their features/abilities. Don't switch this off straight away, you could very well miss something important.

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:51 pm

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:15 am

its official, september 17th release date, per the latest news on the home page...

:ohyeah: :P :tfsol:

with server files release a day before...guess i need to scrounge up an old machine so's to be able to get a server up and running :pbt: ;)

Iggy
Baby Barnacle
Baby Barnacle

Post by Iggy » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:33 pm

Boat, you may need to sign up for that. There is a thread on the FF forums about the issue, but I haven't read it through.

http://www.fortress-forever.com/forum/s ... hp?t=10187

Do you still have the FTP up? There is some talk on the Beta forums of giving the testers the DL file in advance, so we can help seed Torrents. If this is the case, I would be willing to try and upload it on release for you guys so you don't have to worry about the BS of either torrents, fileplanets wait times, etc.
I am not sure how large the file will be, I am assuming it will be Zipped(or the equiv.)...but the Beta directory is a little over 1GB.

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:36 pm

just lemme know if so and i can set something up right quick.

though they didnt specify either way in the news post, only that theyre getting the server packages out first...so i can only assume the server can be had by all ;) besides, that would be bad mojo to not let just anyone nab/host a server :P ;)

and it looks like they may release them earlier than anticipated to the public as well, as per an edit on that latest news blurb...
Edit: Just an addendum; i'm sure you've heard that TF2 has now announced they will release on the same date, so we are looking at getting this in your hands sooner than September 17th to ensure everyone will get some time to play before the beheamoth comes.
:drinking:

i think that forums post you linked is mainly for advertising other people's servers, ie, "here's my server and here's what i plan on hosting, stop by, add it to your favorites" :pbt:

Iggy
Baby Barnacle
Baby Barnacle

Post by Iggy » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:49 pm

Yeah, things are happening pretty quickly right now. Several people are calling for a release this friday/saturday. Since Valve's announcement, this may end up happening(though I have no confirmation...it's just my opinion). As soon as I know anything concrete, I'll shoot you the info.

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:36 pm

server and client available, biatches! :ohyeah:

:tfsol:

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:47 pm

boat wrote:server and client available, biatches! :ohyeah:

w00t!

:tbone:
T-Bone

Lump
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Lump » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:51 pm

boat wrote:server and client available, biatches! :ohyeah:

Awesome :D

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:45 am

okies, i was finally able to get a temp/test server up and running last nite. probably still needs some tweaking and whatnot, but main thing is that got it running and can get connections :pbt:

for right now its on a windows based htpc type box that i havent run much, so im not entirely comfortable letting it run all the time, so im only going to run it when im home, and probably only while im awake. so availability will probably only be like 430 to 1100/1200ish on weekdays...weekends to be determined :P and ive only had 2 total connections on it so far (myself and another) only to make sure 'outsiders' can connect, as im on the lan ;) its got a default maplist, and im still trying to find server configs/cvars. connection info...:

430pm - 1130ish pm (give or take, no guarantees for now :P )
name: NME tmp
address: boat.dyndns.org should still be valid
its got a max players of 16, as i dont know how the machine itself will do or how the connection will hold up

anyhoo, just gives us a place with a little more control to fart around/playtest/congregate on instead of some random pub for the time being :pbt:

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:06 am

Welp, they have a few bugs to work out as can be expected...unless the server i was on was whacked. there were a few occasions where i'd respawn at a 45° angle. try running around on slanted ground. :lol: i'd have to kil myself 3 or 4 time before respawning vertical. other than that, game play was smooth with no lag although i heard a few peeps complain of it. they must have been on dial up. ;)
T-Bone

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:18 am

yeah, a few of us had that slanted point-of-view a few times too. reading some of the forums this morning, apparently running the server above a tic rate of 33 (they recommend running 33 on the forums so far), that weird stuff can happen, so maybe setting that lower may correct that. theyre still working on a server guide and stuff, so it may be a bit bumpy until i can get the serverside figured out :? i did a cvar dump last nite, so ill just have to go thru it and try to pick out any tasty tidbits to get a smooth running server :pbt:

Lump
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Lump » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:48 am

Was playing most of the day yesterday, pretty fun so far. Don't really like the spy cloaking or HWguy chaingun overheating that they added, but other than that it seems like a good remake of TFC. Had a ton of fun defending as a Pyro on that shutdown map.

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:57 pm

fortress forever configs...

http://www.fortress-forever.com/forum/s ... hp?t=10618

Code: Select all

CLASS           Slot1       Slot 2          Slot 3         Slot 4            Slot 5             Slot 6
Demoman         Crowbar     Single Shotgun  N/A            Grenade Launcher  Pipe Launcher      Detpack
Engineer        Spanner     Railgun         Super Shotgun  Dispenser         Sentry Gun
Hunted          Umbrella    N/A             N/A            Tommy Gun         N/A
Hwguy           Crowbar     Single Shotgun  Super Shotgun  N/A               Assault Cannon
Medic           Medkit      Single Shotgun  Super Shotgun  Super Nailgun     N/A
Pyro            Crowbar     Single Shotgun  N/A            Flamethrower      Incendiary Cannon
Scout           Crowbar     Single Shotgun  N/A            Nailgun           N/A
Sniper          Crowbar     Sniper Rifle    Auto Rifle     Nailgun           N/A
Soldier         Crowbar     Single Shotgun  Super Shotgun  N/A               RPG
Spy             Knife       Tranq           Super Shotgun  Nailgun           N/A
tf_weapon_names - no longer exist. Use slotX instead.
fov - no longer exists. Use default_fov instead.

General commands

hud_fastswitch 0/1/2 - Quick weapon changing [can also be set via "Options - Keyboard - Advanced - Fast weapon switch] (1 = keyboard & mouse, 2 = keyboard only)
dropitems - Throws the flag/item being carried
discard - Drops unneeded ammo packs

saveme - Call for Medic (to heal your health)
engyme - Call for Engineer (to repair your armor)

primeone - Primes one of your primary grenades.
primetwo - Prime one of your secondary grenades.
throwgren - Throw a primed grenade.
toggleone - Primes and throws primary grenade on subsequent touches
toggletwo - Primes and throws secondary grenade on subsequent touches
+gren1 - Primes primary grenade
-gren1 - Throws primary grenade
+gren2 - Primes secondary grenade
-gren2 - Throws secondary grenade

cl_spawnslot slot number - Weapon slot to spawn with
cl_classautokill - Die as soon as you change classes
cl_grenadetimer - Timer file to use [can also be set via "Crosshairs / Timers - Timers"]
cl_autoreload 0 or 1 - Automatic weapon reload

changeteam - Brings up the screen to select teams
changeclass - Brings up the class change screen
class X - Change class : Takes effect upon next death
team X - Change team : Takes effect upon next death

%a - Shows your Armour
%h - Shows your Health
%l - Shows your Location
%c - Shows your Class

hud_centerid 0 or 1 - Sets player info in centre of screen
net_graphpos X - Change position of net_graph info (1 is bottom right, 2 is bottom centre, 3 is bottom left)

cl_hints 0 or 1 - Toggles Hints

Class specific commands

Demoman

The Detpack weapon is in "slot6"
"detpipe" is now gone. You must use "+attack2" to det pipes.
detpack time - Sets detpack timer for specified amount of time.

Engineer

Dispenser is now "slot4"
Sentry Gun is now "slot5"
dispenser - To build Dispenser
sentrygun - To build Sentry Gun

dismantlesentry - To dismantle Sentry Gun
aimsentry - Aims Sentry Gun in direction crosshairs are pointing.
detdismantlesentry - Dismantles or detonate Sentry Gun depending on distance
detsentry - To detonate Sentry Gun
dismantledispenser - To dismantle Dispenser
detdispenser - Detonates the Dispenser

The above commands can all be accessed via the Engineer's "Radial Menu": +medengymenu - Engineer and Medic radial menu

Scout

"radar" or "+attack2" - Scout radar: Provides a snapshot of the position of enemy and friendly players.

Medic

Medkit is in "slot1", and "+attack2" can also be used

Sniper

"+attack2" - Zoom the sniper rifle

Spy

disguise team class - Spy disguise : [team can be color, enemy or friendly]
eg: bind "x" "disguise enemy soldier"
cloak - Cloak - (replaces feign)
scloak - Silent Cloak - (replaces sfeign)
[You cannot run and jump/bunnyhop whilst cloaked]
sentrysabotage - Places sabotage unit on Sentry Gun
dispensersabotage - Places sabotage unit on Dispenser

The above commands can be accessed via the Spy's Radial Menu using "+attack2"

Iggy
Baby Barnacle
Baby Barnacle

Post by Iggy » Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:53 pm

Sorry for getting you guys hopefull of getting it pre-release. They changed their minds the morning they released(according to how I hear it). I'm assuming most of you have it already. I didn't find out about the release until thursday night, and didn't actually get to play it until late last night. :(

Anyhow... ff_2fort is mearly a room with pics(credits) at the moment....this is because the map wasn't finished yet. Someone has leaked a version, but it is NOT official, and the devs would appreciate if anyone who finds it in their hands, deletes it. It is not complete, it is not the correct version, and the REAL one will be released shortly.

I hope you guys are enjoying the game, and feel free to post any issues you have with it(either here, or on the FF website).

If there is anything I can do to help, or any questions I can answer, feel free to ask.
:D

EThantos
Baby Barnacle
Baby Barnacle

Post by EThantos » Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:25 pm

Good to see T-Bone on a random server and never expected it. Than in a matter of minutes, he vanished from thin air. Fortress Forever is hella fun and brings back memories. If you want to add me to friends, use my email which is ethantos@hotmail.com

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:51 am

EThantos wrote:Good to see T-Bone on a random server and never expected it. Than in a matter of minutes, he vanished from thin air. Fortress Forever is hella fun and brings back memories. If you want to add me to friends, use my email which is ethantos@hotmail.com
Was that you talking to me the other day (friday?). No names were showing up on my screen so i had no clue who was talking to me and I didn't recognize any of the names on the scoreboard. I jumped out to fix some of my binds and couldn't remember which server i was playing on. :lol:
T-Bone

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:25 pm

patch 1.1 released...