Neo-TF ...**NEW with 1.5.2 just released! info inside**

Got some good dish on TF2? Got a heads up on a new patch/update?

Moderators: boat, rickh

Kinam
Baby Barnacle
Baby Barnacle

Neo-TF ...**NEW with 1.5.2 just released! info inside**

Post by Kinam » Thu Apr 04, 2002 10:42 am

This is for those of you that have heard me talk about it, but not gotten the whole scoop on it :smile: ... for full details of what's going on with the mod visit <a href="http://www.neo-tf.com">their home page</a>.

Ok, Neo-TF is just that...Team Fortress...Neo-ised...or a little modified. It is a server side modification, that when you connect to the server, you will download the necessary files to play on that server, sorta like downloading the sounds on EC1, and many other servers.

There are new things that each class can do, some things are still in beta testing, and can only be seen in action via visiting one of the beta servers. I'll list everything I know, then some of the finer points...

1) Scout-=- When a scout hits their secondary attack, they get a message on their screen in the bottom left telling them how many players, how many normal TFC mechanicals, and how many NEO-TF mechanicals are around...on the entire map. Now, it also will draw lines from your vision to where these things are located...helpfull to see if someone's hiding in the water.
Secondly, with a bound keypress, a scout can call in an air-strike to their position, but there are a couple things...you have to be aiming at the sky, and each server has a timelimit on how closely together one can call an airstrike. The airstrike will come from the point in the sky you aimed at, and hit around where you were standing...you have aproximatly 5-10 seconds to get out of the way.
**NEW with 1.5.2 just released! ... Scout can now place a teleport disk on the ground active only for that life of the scout, and has a set (by server op) number of times the scout can "tele" back to their disk**

2) Snipers-=- Anti-grenade pack can be built. These packs will destroy all type 2 grenades that have not already exploded, or started going off...they also will destroy all rockets, including pyro rockets, if the pack can see it, and it's within a certain range.
IF a solder or demo are around close enough, and the sniper is zoomed in with their dot on the wall, they can issue another bound command, to make the pack shoot out a lazer guided rocket. This rocket will follow your dot around the map as long as it can see it.

3) Solder-=- Pipo enjoys this one...when you initiate the bound command (which are all listed below) .. you no longer controll your character, instead, you go to a first person view of a remote controlled rocket. While in this view, you can fire two things, but it takes up the rocket's ammo (set by the server). First is a rocket...that flys relativly straight, but can be modified of it's flight by moving your view. Second is a drop bomb that will bounce on the ground a few bounces, then explode.

4) Demo -=- ahh, the ultimate in defense! ... Land mines! ... they are not proximity, so you have to press a bound key to detonate them. They get two types (each limited by server), first is a regular land mine...second is the lovely "sensor mine" ... which will do two things for you and one for your teammates...First, for both you and teammates, it will "ding" and emit a pulse from it. Second, it will alert you in text on your screen on the bottom left.

5) Medic -=- this character has a few things...but the main one in question in this section is the anti-grenade / heal unit. This works just like the snipers anti-grenade pack for grenades and rockets, but also, it will heal nearby teammates by 5 hp every second.

6) HW guy -=- They inately can (at the server's descression) allow nearby teammates to have some of your armour.
**NEW with 1.5.2 just released! They finally get the graple hook, which can grab up to a certain distance, and pull the HW towards that grappled point, at only 75% speed...**

7) PYRO -=- hmm..now if I could just remember ... oh ya...FARTS!! ... heh heh, at a cost of (normally 20ac) whatever the server designates, the pyro can "fart" and boost themselvs forward in whatever direction they're facing/aiming ... capable of with two boosts to get up the elevator on 2fort.
**NEW with 1.5.2 just released! ... the PYRO can now use a "freeze thrower" which will freeze a nearby enemy (if in range) ... it will freze them on the spot, limiting or eleminating their rate of movement, cause a Damage Over Time, but it wears off eventually (if the player doesn't die from it) ... it also causes the player to have a reduced firing rate. as the player "thaws" they can start to move and do stuff normally again.

8- Spies ... they can now overhear the oposite team's "say_team" things...BUT, depending upon how far away the team member is that said the teamsay thing, is how scrambled the text is to the spy. They can transfer "invisibility" to other spys on your team (or if the server allows it, to all classes) ... which make's them invisible for a short time. They can also call airstrikes like the scout.

9) Engi -=- Now, so swift and nice, that they have what's aptly called, a Multi Gun (or MG for short). These guns can be built by the engie, but only upgraded (via touch) by other teammates (or captured by NME's if the server allows it). The upgrades are all at the descression of the server, but I haven't found any that wants to limit the upgrades. ... 1-scout/spy upgrades it to a tesla coil, 2-sniper upgrades it to a guided rocket launcher (eliminating the need for a solder/demo to be around to fire one from their pack), 3-solder upgrades it to a rocket firer, 4-demo/HW upgrades it to a grenade launcer, 5-medic upgrades it to a crowbar launcer (most called on), 6-pyro upgrades it to a flame launcher (second most called on). Another thing, is their despensers...these can be upgraded by medics (via touch just like the MG's) ...they will distribute health just like their anti gren spawn things.
**NEW with 1.5.2 just released! ... all models that are untouched (IE the MG's ... glow the color of the team that built it...so you know if you're capturing a MG, or if you're just upgrading :) **

There are a couple other things, that are usefull in binds...first, is %l, which will give the location of where you are standing (usefull to call for a MG upgrade, or where you dropped the flag), second is %p, which will give the location of where you are LOOKING at...usefull for designating where a sniper/incomming/SG/MG is located

Now for the commands...there's only 4 that you really need to be efficient.
**WARNING** These binds and your TFC binds are the SAME! ... don't unbind something you use in TFC alot, or you won't have it. **END WARNING**
1= "buildspecial"
2= "buildspecial2"
3= "_special2"
4= "detspecial"
**NEW with 1.5.2 just released!
5= "tele" for teleport back to your teledisk as scout
6= "+hook" for use of the grapple hook of the HW ....
those are the console commands for them all. There are other class specific binds, but they are not necessary, as these will do the same for you. I found myself not using my mouse wheel, or the mouse wheel click (mouse3) ... so I bound those to the builds, and bound my keypad + to detspecial.
**NEW with 1.5.2 I then bound my \ key under the enter key to "tele", and the backspace key to "+hook" (seeing as while hooking you don't need to move, just aim :))

There are other finer points to playing, and everything about NEO-TF is configurable by cvars on the server end. everything from how many of everything each class can build/use, to how much armour it costs to do them.

Long post, for an explination...but hey, if you wanted to know about it, then you read it :smile: ... if you wanna see what a neo-tf server looks like, just go to their site and they have beta servers listed in their news section.

PeAcE out all...hope to frag you soon.

Kinam
Baby Barnacle
Baby Barnacle

here's the updates straight from them

Post by Kinam » Mon Apr 15, 2002 8:56 am

NeoTF is an interesting modification to the gameplay and elements of Team Fortress Classic, adding things such as; "chat-spying, tesla coils, airstrikes and more." Version 1.5.2 of this server-side mod adds the following changes and additions to the mix:
Public Release 1.5.2 - 13 Apr 2002

-LRlauncher mg's (sniper upgrade) fire diferent LaserRockets than Sniper's LaserRockets.
-Reduce ROF (Rate Of Fire) for Crowbar MG, it was too powerful.
-Add FreezeThrower for Pyro.
-Add statusbar functionality for ID and MG.
-Point at NeoTF entity and it tells you who built it
-Multigun status more SG-like
-Freezethrower ammo status
-Soldier remote ammo status
-Use FoxBot area files for location information (replacing old .nli files)
-Antigren pods detonate after 2 minutes
-Mines detonate after 2 minutes
-Add missing authentication
-Mines have delay between build
-MGs no longer shoot at players performing dying animation (thanks Goat Roper)
-Logging now uses custom team names if defined for map
-HWGuys get grappling hook
-Scouts get teledisk
-Inert multiguns will glow team color
-Landmines, sensormines, and antigren pods now have a 2-minute lifespan
-NeoTF buildables (mg, antigren, etc) will now detonate at the end of a TFC "round" (warpath all cap, etc)
-Apache/Osprey bombs no longer bounce and roll
-Scout radar detects all multigun types
-Engineers no longer build invalid exploding item on "buildspecial2"
-Updates to ntf_help system
-Updates to documentation

Pipo
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Pipo » Wed Apr 17, 2002 1:27 am

if we could get EC1 full like it was before and keep it that way, then maybe we could ask SYS to open EC2 with the neotf stuff, i think it would be great fun. :P Just have to find some way to fill it up :-?

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

blah

Post by boat » Sun Jun 09, 2002 2:16 pm

ack. i finally hopped on to a neotf server last night :o [WCA] server i think :-? ...i wasnt too fond of it personally :( :wink: i dunno if the server admin(s) are just juvenile, or what (there was one WCA on when i was there), but they had like _everything_ turned on. i joined in 2fort, and the middle area (bridge) was full of grunts and aliens, so if i made it across, i was already half dead :evil: and there was some seemingly server lag from all teh junk they had going on. i managed to stick around for well, and that was even worse. noone seemed to care about ctf, and just played with jetpacks, helicoptors, etc. and it was next to impossible to get into the fr, and it was only one eng! he had a sg built on the catwalk, and on top of the bridge trelles, i guess he had the eng _buildspecial (the missle/flame throwing gun). i couldnt even use spy to go in there, teh buildspecial still shot me. and it would even shoot me while i was under water! i think my team managed to cap once, and that was only after the teams evened out, and i wasnt the only one on O (was 2v7 at one point...most of the time it was like 3v7or8). it was late, so i didnt mess with any of the neotf binds/features. nuff of my b!tchin'...i guess i'll just have to try again one day :-?

Pipo
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Pipo » Sun Jun 09, 2002 5:48 pm

So from what i just read in your post, you did not like Neo :roll: It's something different, i can tell you that... :-? but from what i saw on Kinam server while i tested neo, was that NEO need some big map to enjoy all the stuff that neo can do... That is from what i notice :wink:

Mustard
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Mustard » Mon Jun 10, 2002 1:14 pm

Pipo a couple posts ago, I saw you said about an EC-2, I had asked people to try out Neo-TF, and some people had...And...THEY HAD FUN! But not everyone liked it, and I asked someone if SYS might think about opening a Neo-TF server, and they said "I don't think SYS would enjoy helicopters, or flamethrowing sgs, coiming at him" :roll: But I think it would be great, I had thought about a Neo-TF night, like every Thrusday, Friday, whatever works best...My 2 Cents

-Mustard

Pipo
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Pipo » Mon Jun 10, 2002 1:27 pm

we used to have access to EC2 but since it was not used anymore, sys close it... and now we have a hard time to fill ec1, we could maybe continue having a frag friday like i tried at one time.

Kinam
Baby Barnacle
Baby Barnacle

been away :)

Post by Kinam » Mon Jun 10, 2002 2:28 pm

been away from the threads for a bit :) ... anyway, the NEO-TF thing...well, it's got some improvements...and I agree, the [WCA] server has a version that is NOT the latest...in other words, it has some good things still, but some bad things that were improved upon later. and the [WCA] people tend to use the admin_tsay, admin_noclip, admin_godmode, admin_execall commands alot ... I don't like the idea of the admins being able to run console commands on everyone ... or on one person...BUT, it does allow them to make HL sounds (IE, the grunts drag sequence, sci's saying hello) ... anyway, for the EC1 to go to a one night deal of NTF, it's probably a bit much ... because you'd have to edit like 3 files to get NTF to load properly, and of course, edit those 3 files again to turn it off...each time you'd have to re-set the server. I'm sure sys wouldn't wanna do that. The bit about me having a server, well that's no longer, I shut that down just before the patch...and with that last patch, I can't even do a lan game :( ... I wanted to check out that banana_r map, but couldn't :( ... oh well, enough rambling...PeAcE till late

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Mon Jun 10, 2002 3:12 pm

Personally, I paid for Half Life/TFC, not Half Life/Neo-TF.

I like TFC just the way it is. The other stuff would just be a distraction. Besides, I have a hard enough time working the crap I got now. If I had to learn more binds I'd have to call it quits.

Thats my 2 cents. :P

KaptainSkitzo
Ole Barnacle
Ole Barnacle

Post by KaptainSkitzo » Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:39 am

[NME]T-Bone wrote:Personally, I paid for Half Life/TFC, not Half Life/Neo-TF.

I like TFC just the way it is. The other stuff would just be a distraction. Besides, I have a hard enough time working the crap I got now. If I had to learn more binds I'd have to call it quits.

Thats my 2 cents. :P
LOL! You have SPACE for more binds?

Heh, I don't. I kinda like NeoTF...but I don't know of any servers that run it all the time(well, Girlpower2...but getting on there is a pain!). And all my other favorites are straight TFC. And someone made a comment about the "maturity level"...or lack there of....prevalent on those servers. Well, you are pretty much right. But maybe a private game with NME and the regulars on EC1, might make for a better game.
"There are thousands of people out there who say I am *NOT* right in the head. There are thousands more out there who say I *AM* right in the head. The funny thing is, they all make these claims for the SAME REASONS!"
-Me.