nme tf2/ff server(s) down

Got some good dish on TF2? Got a heads up on a new patch/update?

Moderators: boat, rickh

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

nme tf2/ff server(s) down

Post by boat » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:50 pm

just a note that i may take our little meager temp server(s) down today, so that i can get linux and/or freebsd installed to play around/test with on the box i currently have the server running on (windows, blah). :pbt:

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Re: nme tf2/ff server(s) down

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:31 pm

how'd it go? we back in biz?
T-Bone

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos
will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:19 pm

not yet. since i already have xp on it and its a 250G hd, i decieded i wanted to go for a multi-boot, so i could have the best of both worlds, as needed (xp, linux, freebsd to be exact) :P

ran into a slight hiccup when trying to resize the ntfs partition, but i eventually got it...think it had to do with some data being in the space that was going to be freed up :roll: good ole windows defrag didnt do a very good job, but after i defragged with perfect disk, it put everyhting nicely at the front of the disk and the resize went fine.

so then i went to install ubuntu server, and it wasnt quite what i was anticipating, so i had to nab ubuntu desktop and have that installed now, just need to play around with and tweak at this point.

once i got ubuntu installed and updated, i went ahead with the freebsd install...come to find out after that install was that ubuntu didnt install on the partition i wanted it to, so that essentially got wiped out...so i have a big empty ext3 partition between xp and freebsd right now :oops: :lol: soooo, now i just need to get ubuntu reinstalled on the middle partition, the i can move a little more forward. getting freebsd up to speed should be a breeze, its ubuntu thats going to be a slight learning curve in getting going ;) so about half way there as of right now... :pbt:

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:45 pm

boat wrote:come to find out after that install was that ubuntu didnt install on the partition i wanted it to, so that essentially got wiped out...so i have a big empty ext3 partition
what? your partition manager didn't show 1 ntfs partition, 1 ext3 partition, and an unused/unkown partition? cuz when you see that, you wanna pick the unused/unknown partition. :P
T-Bone

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:39 pm

[NME]T-Bone wrote:
boat wrote:come to find out after that install was that ubuntu didnt install on the partition i wanted it to, so that essentially got wiped out...so i have a big empty ext3 partition
what? your partition manager didn't show 1 ntfs partition, 1 ext3 partition, and an unused/unknown partition? cuz when you see that, you wanna pick the unused/unknown partition. :P
well it didnt quite show that...i had opted to use the dumbed up method in an attempt to expedite the install, as i was just gonna use that whole slice w/o worrying about creating separate /, /usr, /tmp, etc partitions. but whatever the hell i selected, it apparently created 2 more partitions than i wanted at the end of the space i was wanting it to go, and then installed it on those...so when i went to install freebsd, i put it on those last two partitions (/ and swap...which there were 2 pairs of, der), which happened to be where ubuntu installed itself, instead of the first 2 partitions that i wanted it go :roll: :x

aynhooo, ubuntu is reinstalling right now...i probably wouldnt expect to have anything up until the weekend...or in the very least, not tonight...all work and no play make boat a dull boy :P :tfsol:

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:17 am

well...after multiple linux and freebsd reinstalls last nite, i think the problem ive been having with linux not wanting to load, had to do with the boot managers not liking ext3...it sees it, but wont boot it, der. well i could use lilo or grub, but freebsd's boot manager is a set it and forget it app...unless of course youre trying to run boot ext3, der :fist: or at least im assuming thats what the problem is... :-?

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:56 am

did ya try installing bsd before installing ubantu? doesn't the boot manager of the last installed os usually override the previous boot manager?
T-Bone

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:39 am

i tried both. the freebsd one is pretty smart and doesnt take any configuring. i probably could have installed ubuntu last and then configured grub to see freebsd, but it was getting late and i was getting frustrated :P it seems as though freebsd doesnt have ext3 support, but it does have ext2 support...so perhaps it was a good thing, in that i can get it running ext2 which will be accessible from w/in freebsd :pbt:

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:28 pm

sigh...well after many a frustrating installs/reinstalls, etc, i think i finally narrowed down why i wasnt getting ubuntu to play well with others...its kept installing grub on mbr when you use the livecd...er. i even went as far as to clear the whole drive, thus getting rid of the xp install, which i was anticipating keeping for a triple boot. so when i went to install freebsd at its bootloader that it puts on the mbr, it was effectively removing the existence of ubuntu...der. been thru numerous installs, changing the install order, installing 3rd party boot loaders (some of which ended up being like a 2MB iso...that doesnt load right)...argh.

supposedly the "alternate" install cd (ie, non livecd version) gives you the option of where to install grub, which i am d/l-ing now...so hopefully this will work out this time. :drinking: :fist:

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:27 pm

success!

well, thats what it was...ubuntu's livecd installer automatically installs the boot loader on the mbr, so when i was putting freebsd's bootloader on the mbr, it was 'hiding' ubuntu by deleting its boot record... :roll: :fit:

now i just need to get the software updated and get the server software installed and config'ed...

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:00 am

so, for a tf2 server install, do ou just run he hldsupdate tool? if so, i was gonna report it in clan mail cuz i'm not sure if sys knows how to install tf2. also, will he need to purchase the orange box in order to install a server now since the orange box peeps are the only ones that can play tf2 right now?
T-Bone

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:24 pm

yes, im pretty sure you have to run the hldsupdatetool regardless, presuming youre installing a dedicated server.

i should be doing an install tonight to double check, but from memory it will be something like...

./hldsupdatetool -command update -game tf -dir <install directory, should it be diff than where youre running the updatetool>

and nope, no need to purchase the orangebox or anything to install the dedicated server.

oh, and the binary will be the likes of srcds, ie,

./srcds -game tf +maxplayers 16 +map ctf_2fort

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:29 pm

oh, and i would continue to run the...

hldsupdatetool -command update -game tf -dir <directory>

until hldsupdatetool says that everything is up to date. (btw, it will be 'steam' instead of hldsupdatetool for *nix...running hldsupdatetool.bin in a *nix install, creates that steam file to run)

http://www.srcds.com/

:pbt: