HL2:Episode 1?

Got some good dish on TF2? Got a heads up on a new patch/update?

Moderators: boat, rickh

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:46 pm

I must say, so far this game is awesome. I played for 2 hours which should be about 1/3 the game. There are some new effects - very cool and they make good use of the HDR lighting effects. I've got 51 snapshots so far totalling about 11 meg. If anyone wants to check them out, LMK, and I'll zip them up for you.

This was taken shortly after the game started, looking up at the remains of the citadel. Doesn't this look like a satallite image of a hurricane, color enhanced?
Attachments
ep1_citadel_000001.jpg

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:06 pm

so far so good. here's a coupla shots i took after finding something amusing...

:lol:
Attachments
ep1_c17_000008.jpg
before
ep1_c17_000009.jpg
after

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:22 am

:lol: blinded me with science.
T-Bone

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos
will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:36 am

wtf? that's a fix... and why would anyone wanna play on easy. heck, even my kid is playing hl2 on normal. luckily i noticed it was on easy when i was binding my keys and switched it to normal.

boat, you aren't playing easy are ya? :lol:

Half-Life 2: Episode One Update Released
June 1, 2006, 7:57 pm · Alfred Reynolds
Updates to the Half-Life 2: Episode One have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:

Half-Life 2: Episode One

* Fixed the game's difficulty defaulting to "Easy" instead of "Normal" when starting a new game. (If you've already played Episode One, you can change the setting manually by selecting "Options" from the game's main menu.)
T-Bone

Forester
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Forester » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:43 pm

I got my new 7600GT yesterday. Best $170 I've spent for gaming ever! I only had about 30-40 to play Episode 1 with it last night but wow, is it a pretty game with everything set to high and 4x AA. I'm playing it on "hard" as I did with HL2. I figure I've played enough FPS games that I should be able to take whatever the game throws at me.
-Forester

[NME]Myth
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]Myth » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:10 pm

I don't like the idea of not having a hard copy and have never downloaded games through Steam yet. If my HD crashes or I get a new PC will I be able to d/l it again free of charge? Can I save it to disc somehow?
LET'S GO HOKIES!!!

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:29 pm

[NME]Myth wrote:I don't like the idea of not having a hard copy and have never downloaded games through Steam yet. If my HD crashes or I get a new PC will I be able to d/l it again free of charge? Can I save it to disc somehow?
yes and yes. actually, thats probably the best thing ive liked about steam so far, is to not have to worry about having the disc around...just install the steam client, log into my account and then just download whatever game i want to play. and i can do that anywhere...ive reloaded it several times after reformats and have loaded it on other ocmputers and such. as far as saving to disc, i havent done that yet, but i think the process is that you can tell steam to make a back up file, then that just saves you from re-downloading...you can neccessarily just pop the disc in and run 'setup' or anyhting like that...youd still need hte steam client. 0X :drinking: :P

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:31 am

Your steam account knows which games you own and you can download those at any time. You can test it by clicking properties on tfc and click delete content. This will remove tfc from your computer. You can then click on install game and it will d/l it and reinstall. The backup feature is as says. It will backup whatever games you tell it to. When I built my new computer, I told steam (old computer) to backup all games. I installed steam on the new computer, transfered the backup file to the new computer and told it to restore. It restored all my games including map files. :) Sure beats re-installing all 300+ tfc maps.
T-Bone

[NME]Myth
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]Myth » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:19 am

[NME]T-Bone wrote:Your steam account knows which games you own and you can download those at any time. You can test it by clicking properties on tfc and click delete content. This will remove tfc from your computer. You can then click on install game and it will d/l it and reinstall. The backup feature is as says. It will backup whatever games you tell it to. When I built my new computer, I told steam (old computer) to backup all games. I installed steam on the new computer, transfered the backup file to the new computer and told it to restore. It restored all my games including map files. :) Sure beats re-installing all 300+ tfc maps.
That's good stuff. I d/l it last night but haven't had a chance to play it yet. Hopefully a little later today.
LET'S GO HOKIES!!!

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:09 pm

Check your steam's game menu too. It will list all installed games and all games that are available to you for d/l (already paid for and freebies).
T-Bone

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:42 pm

Just finished. Definitely worth the 17 bux. A very good ending. Be sure to let all the credits roll by to see a kick arse trailer of episode 2.
T-Bone

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:16 pm

Just another pic showing the new reticle. Left side is health. Right side is ammo.
Attachments
ep1_c17_060028.jpg

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:26 pm

A good review of the direction HL2 is moving.
T-Bone

Dictator
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Dictator » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:09 pm

Does this episode 1 have subtitles or captions?
Give me liberty, or I may well give you death.

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:54 pm

Dictator wrote:Does this episode 1 have subtitles or captions?
Actually, Alyx signs to ya. :P :lol:

Yes, it's got both. 8)
T-Bone

Dictator
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Dictator » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:38 am

That'd be so awesome if it's true. :ggrin:
Give me liberty, or I may well give you death.

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:19 am

News update

In addition to the new single player experience, two multiplayer games and a designers’ Commentary Mode are also included.

I didn't notice the online games. Gonna have to check them out. Also, I've heard playing with the commentary on is cool, so I may need to check it out too.
T-Bone

Grummun
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Grummun » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:36 am

And those who purchase Episode One will have free access via Steam (http://www.steamgames.com) to Half-Life 2: Lost Coast

I had assumed Lost Coast was available to anyone who had HL2. Every time I tried to download it, it failed, but it never said it was because I wasn't entitled to it, it gave me some line about the servers being too busy. Hmph. Anyone played through Lost Coast? Is it interesting, aside from showcasing HDR?

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:17 am

that must be an update to episode one, because when i first played it, i looked for an online play option, just in case...that, or maybe they just added some new maps to hl2 multiplayer? :?:

yeah, ive started another game with hte commentary on...oh yeah, i finished hte game too...friggin cliff hangers :?

i thought lost coast was an open demo too :?: its pretty cool, a nice showcase of the little doohickies...nothing more than that really, which is what its labelled as...a technology demo. the hdr is pretty kewl...takes a little getting used to, after playing games w/o anyhting like it for so long, it actually does react pretty realisically, imo. 8)

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:31 am

Lost Coast was only available to peeps that bought the silver package or higher. It only takes 20-30 minutes to play but does show off the HDR.

The HDR in Episode 1 is phenominal compared to Lost Coast. I haven't played dod:s enought to know how well it's HDR compares.

You may need to check the games menu. Sometimes it installs the mods/games there instead of as an option from within the game.

I finished ep1 this past weekend. The cliff hanger was expected. Luckily ep2 should be out later this year and the trailer for it looks awesome.
T-Bone