slow downs?

The place for any forum suggestions, tips, requests, etc...

Moderators: boat, rickh

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Wed Oct 22, 2003 3:51 pm

[NME]T-Bone wrote:pdf files gimmee a rash. :cuss1:

remember... if it ain't broke, fix it until it is. :oops: :lol:

the pdf's are the only documentation i can find on em :cuss1: :oops: :roll:

what if it is broke? :P i think i broke it to begin wif :oops: :lol: :P any ideas as to what the 'dummy' drive might be? :-?

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Wed Oct 22, 2003 4:05 pm

Where is it located at? The diagram showed the raid controller in the top bay and some hw at the bottom i do beleeb. It looked as if when you had the proper hw installed, you could daisy chain an expansion tower off of the primary so that you could create bigger arrays and/or additional arrays. You can even install a second raid controller.

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Wed Oct 22, 2003 4:31 pm

no, it like takes an actual drive slot, as if its one of the drives..why i kept calling it a 'dummy' drive. it looks the same any of the other removable drives, exact case, etc, but doesnt have an actual drive in it...less its a really small, light one :P :?:

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Wed Oct 22, 2003 4:33 pm

Designated hot spare? :-?

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Wed Oct 22, 2003 4:36 pm

[NME]T-Bone wrote:Designated hot spare? :-?

no, i dont think theres a drive in it at all :-? :?:

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:26 pm

I mean it may be a designated slot for a hot spare... if ya had one. :P

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Wed Oct 22, 2003 6:56 pm

but who/what/when/where/why does it do in the mean time? :oops: :-?

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:26 pm

meanwhile, it just sits there and looks purdee. :lol: who knows? it may even be a scsi terminator. does it actually plug into the bus or backplane anywhere?

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:15 pm

[NME]T-Bone wrote:meanwhile, it just sits there and looks purdee. :lol: who knows? it may even be a scsi terminator. does it actually plug into the bus or backplane anywhere?

it looks just like one of the ohter hotswappable drives, same case, lights, etc. and plugs into the same front drive bays as the rest of em...when i looked at its properties i the controller software, it showed it as a drive :-?

http://www.zdad.com/ebay/sw2.jpg

the drives look similar to the ones in the middle shot, cept w/o the writing on hte right side...guess cause its older equipment, but the 'dummy' drive i keep talking about looks like its just another drive, as if like in the pic, it would appear as one of the 4 drives :oops: :-? knowwutimeanvern

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:59 pm

welp, got the hd installed on the dually machine and foud out teh exact specs...:

dual p2 300Mhz
256MB ecc edo
onboard scsi host
atapi cdrom (slot loading :P )
atapi tape drive (compaq tr4?)
floppy
standard onboards (usb, serial, parallel)
built-in audio
usr 56k isa modem
onboard 10/100 nic (compaq netelligent 10/100)

now jsut need to decide on an os :-?

i put win2k on it last nite to make sure everything was working ok and to find out the specific hardware. it recognized both processors and both had separate cpu graphs in the task manager :D

freebsd is known to not have the best smp support.

and there are too many damned linux distros to choose from.

if at all possible, id like to stay with fbsd. the 4.x has a certain degree of stability w/ smp, but isnt full featured or sumn like taht, as far as threading, etc. but the 5.x branch is supposed to be a big step in the smp area...

:-?

Dictator
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Dictator » Thu Oct 23, 2003 1:03 pm

Yea, 5.x is supposed to have improved smp, but it is sort of "beta".

I heard somewhere that Debian is better choice for smp but I'm not sure. Debian is well known for stable and has apt-get, sort of like Freebsd's ports. :P

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Thu Oct 23, 2003 1:10 pm

boat wrote:
[NME]T-Bone wrote:meanwhile, it just sits there and looks purdee. :lol: who knows? it may even be a scsi terminator. does it actually plug into the bus or backplane anywhere?

it looks just like one of the ohter hotswappable drives, same case, lights, etc. and plugs into the same front drive bays as the rest of em...when i looked at its properties i the controller software, it showed it as a drive :-?

the drives look similar to the ones in the middle shot, cept w/o the writing on hte right side...guess cause its older equipment, but the 'dummy' drive i keep talking about looks like its just another drive, as if like in the pic, it would appear as one of the 4 drives :oops: :-? knowwutimeanvern

I'm sooooo confused. :lol: Is there an actual drive in that slot or is it just a bezel/empty adapter in that slot. I'm guessing those adapters have some type of back plane connector which may just be feeding a false signal to make it look like a drive is plugged into it... after all, it's scsi it needs terminated at the end of the scsi chain.

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Thu Oct 23, 2003 1:14 pm

Dictator wrote:Yea, 5.x is supposed to have improved smp, but it is sort of "beta".

I heard somewhere that Debian is better choice for smp but I'm not sure. Debian is well known for stable and has apt-get, sort of like Freebsd's ports. :P

sry and thanks.

i started a smp thread over yonder...:

http://boat.dyndns.org:8080/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=651

:D :P

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Thu Oct 23, 2003 1:22 pm

[NME]T-Bone wrote:
boat wrote:

I'm sooooo confused. :lol: Is there an actual drive in that slot or is it just a bezel/empty adapter in that slot. I'm guessing those adapters have some type of back plane connector which may just be feeding a false signal to make it look like a drive is plugged into it... after all, it's scsi it needs terminated at the end of the scsi chain.

:oops: :lol:

okies. the think im talking about does not appear to be an actual drive, but it looks/feels/tastes like one of the other 'real' drives. it goes into a drive slot and has the same appearance/casing as one of the drives. yes, each drive has like a 50pin connector in the back for when they are connected/inserted into the tower...as does this 'dummy' drive. the only noticable difference with the dummy drive is the weight of it when u take it out, and also if u kinda look in the back, there isnt a drive inside teh casing, just foam or sumn like that :-? ...but it was also like in the center of all the drive (7 slots, was in slot 4, so there are 3 'real' drives above it and 3 'real' drives below it), why would a terminator be put in the middle of everybody if, if it is a terminator? :oops: :-? wouldnt that leave like 3 drives unused?

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Thu Oct 23, 2003 1:37 pm

Hrmmm.... foam ay... i'd have to rip it out just for curiosity sake. :lol: It may be a terminator. remember, according to the manual it's divided up into device port 0 & 1. each one may need it's own terminator and since it appears that only one device port is in use, only 1 terminator is needed.

only way to know for sure is to pull the foam out. if there's resisitors in there then i'd say it's a terminator. if there's a bunch of electronics in there i dunno what it is. if it's just foam, then i guess it's just a divider - LoL!

Dictator
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Dictator » Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:24 pm

Is the barnacle too slow for u guys? It takes me about 15-20 seconds to open any thread. :-?

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:45 pm

Dictator wrote:Is the barnacle too slow for u guys? It takes me about 15-20 seconds to open any thread. :-?
Not all threads, just the biggies like "top 5 posters". Hrm... couldn't be cuz it has to parse/render all those smiles could it? :lol: :P
T-Bone

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos
will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

Dictator
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Dictator » Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:14 pm

threads with 4 pages or so like this renders pretty slow. Once it opens the page, it wont render for 15 seconds. Maybe mysql needs to be optimized or phpbb needs upgrade? :P I heard 2.2 will be released sometimes soon.

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:52 pm

i think this lil ole cyrix is startin feel its age :oops: :P

ive been thinking about revamping the barn, and giving it a hw and sw upgrade, by trying to backup all the mysql data only (not the whole struvture/db) and doing a fresh install of phpbb and trying to apply the data back in that way. and have even been considering consolodating the mysql on a separate machien (which is probably how it should be done anyhoo :P ) ima try to get it started next week sometime <crossesfingers>...maybe pulling out and setting up that dual proc machine i finally got running :D

Dictator
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Dictator » Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:59 pm

boat wrote:and have even been considering consolodating the mysql on a separate machien (which is probably how it should be done anyhoo :P )
Why'd u need that? If mysql is only used for phpbb, then u don't need to use other machine unless u're hosting zillions of data. :P