slow downs?

The place for any forum suggestions, tips, requests, etc...

Moderators: boat, rickh

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:29 pm

Hrmmmm.... we're getting beyond the limit of my scsi knowledge. if i remember right, even some of the lvd cards come with a 68 pin connector for backwards compatibility. I beleeb the high end ultra's use a higher pin count and that these use lvd. as long as it has a 68 pin connector you'll prolly be good to go, but if sumfin combusts, don't blame me.

DB may know more on this, he plays with sun boxes and most all of them are scsi.

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:46 pm

too late, u already gave the go ahead...all the blame is on u! :nyanya: :P ;)

guess i might pick me up a nice lil 10k or 15k rpm hd! wahu! :D :madnoel:

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:11 pm

ME wrote:DB may know more on this, he plays with sun boxes and most all of them are scsi.

See... told ya DB would know. see clan mail! :lol:

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:46 pm

:nyanya:

Drewbacca
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Drewbacca » Thu Sep 25, 2003 3:27 am

:master: :bday: :cheers: :smilecolros: :tup: :ohyeah: :thewave:
"Do good, because it ain't bad."

Dictator
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Dictator » Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:59 am

Drewbacca wrote::master: :bday: :cheers: :smilecolros: :tup: :ohyeah: :thewave:

Hey! Cut that out! :no:

I bet drew, boat, and tbone's posts are so high cuz they posted too much with emoticons!!! If there were emoticon statistics for each members, i bet it will be more than post counts. :evil:

Drewbacca
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Drewbacca » Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:35 am

:noevil:

Heh heh... Yep, I agree with you on on the number of emoticons/smilies.

Also, 14 peeps haven't posted yet. :neu: Say what?

8)

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:41 am

i never
:D
use smilies
:fist:
in my posts
:ohyeah:

:P

KUMITE
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by KUMITE » Fri Sep 26, 2003 5:18 pm

Hey Pokey, Whats wrong with smilies :-? They make everything so nice and colorful :thewave: They brighten up everyone's day :smilecolros: See now I'm smilin again :lol: :P 8)

PEACE K :cheers:

Drewbacca
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Drewbacca » Sat Sep 27, 2003 11:54 pm

:BIG: Smilies unite!!!

8)

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:42 am

for anyone keeping tabs, i ordered a 9.1GB 10k rpm scsi hd to install into a dual p2 (266-333mhz...not exactly sure what the speeds are yet), which should get here my friday (tracking site says teh 23rd, thur :P ). and i also think i found the raid control software for a standalone raid storage array that i may have use of...has 7 hotswappable drive bays (6 drives total + some kinda 'dummy' drive) and 2 hotswappable power supplies :o :D ...id really like to git to play with this badboy :P

;)

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:50 am

wahu! out for delivery :D

Oct 22, 2003 9:00 am
On FedEx vehicle for delivery

...a whole day early :D

was also able to git into the raid array, but havent been able to git it werkin wuite right. was able to delete the virtual drive, but wasnt able to create one :-? oh - and each of the drives are 9.1G :D and the controller supports up to a raid 3/5 configuration :pbt:

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:05 am

FedEx, oh Lordy!!! These guys always seem to have problems leaving packages at my house when I'm not home even though I've filled out at least three release forms stating that all future packages should be dropped. I even called once and asked if they had my release form on file. They said "yup" and still no package. I had to call and b!tch'em out and they finally came back & left the package.

Can't create the virtual drive? How many drives do you currently have and what level of raid were you attempting? Raid 0 & 1 both require 2 drives minimum. Raid 0+1 requires 4 drives. Raid 5 requires 3 drives minimum.

If you can, use raid 5. It offers the best of both worlds, data stripping and parity striping. :wink: The drawback is n-1 usable drives. i.e 3 9g drives = 18g data + 9g parity

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:20 am

[NME]T-Bone wrote:FedEx, oh Lordy!!! These guys always seem to have problems leaving packages at my house when I'm not home even though I've filled out at least three release forms stating that all future packages should be dropped. I even called once and asked if they had my release form on file. They said "yup" and still no package. I had to call and b!tch'em out and they finally came back & left the package.

Can't create the virtual drive? How many drives do you currently have and what level of raid were you attempting? Raid 0 & 1 both require 2 drives minimum. Raid 0+1 requires 4 drives. Raid 5 requires 3 drives minimum.

If you can, use raid 5. It offers the best of both worlds, data stripping and parity striping. :wink: The drawback is n-1 usable drives. i.e 3 9g drives = 18g data + 9g parity

well since im in a townhouse, packages usually get left at the office anyhoo :)

its a 7 bay tower, with 6 drives and what seems to be a 'dummy' drive, but i think that it is a device for the parity info for a raid 5 config. when i was finally able to access the controller, there already was a virtual drive created in a raid 3/5 config, but it was faulted/faulty, so i deleted it. tried to create a new virtual drive as the same thing (raid 3/5), but it didnt seem to take :-? i just need more time to play with it and read teh manual :P

oh, and each drive is 9.1GB, at 6 known drives = minimum, max space of ~54GB total space.

Dictator
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Dictator » Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:29 am

what are you using these for? I bet you're coping playboy from tivo and store it on fat harddrives. :P

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Wed Oct 22, 2003 10:33 am

I've never seen/heard of a 3/5 config. Are you sure it wasn't 2 different arrays, one 3 & one 5? Also, in a raid 5 config, parity is striped across all drives whereas in other configs, parity is on a single drive which means if the parity drives fails along with 1 other drive your array is garbage. Striping the parity across all drives is what makes raid 5 sooo sweet. :D

boat wrote:well since im in a townhouse, packages usually get left at the office anyhoo

Townhouse... say hi to the elves for me. :lol:

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Wed Oct 22, 2003 1:32 pm

i thought it had said a '3/5' configuration...maybe it didnt..didnt play with it too much yet. here's the hardware guide/specs in pdf...:

RA3000

as far as what im doing wif em, they are kinda becoming legacy stuff, which were used on some older production worthy copy machines, which are essentially trash to the company, so i merely took em in :P :wink:

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Wed Oct 22, 2003 2:27 pm

Welp, it doesn't talk/show much about the software but I guess it is a HW guide. It says this tower supports RAID 0, 1, 0+1, 4, 5, & JBOD. Nuthin' about raid 3 at all unless the raid controller in the tower isn't original, wait... got it...

It appears as the 3/5 is device port 0 (5 drives) & device port 1 (3 drives). See page 1-11 for details. It looks as if you may need to choose drives on the same device port to configure the array.

gl 8)

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Wed Oct 22, 2003 3:08 pm

there are other guides, i have the links at home. thing is that i cant seem to get the management software to run over teh scsi bus, though its supposed to be able to, so when i did connect, it was thru a 9600 baud serial connection :o :-? ssslllooowwww... :oops: :roll: :P ...i need to print the danged manuals out..such a biatch to keep trying to scroll back n forth :oops: :roll: plus i dont think what i have is a true ra3000, either an earlier version or a xerox specially built system, cause when i was able to connect a thru a terminal session, it didnt echo back what the docs said would echo back :-? bah - still fun to mess with :P

and wouldnt u know it, as i was getting ready to leave home at lunch to go back to work, the fedex truck showed up w/ the new drive :evil: :roll: so alls i could do was ogle it and put it on the desk then leave :cry: :oops: :P <wriggles in chair like giddy lil schoolgirl in antcipation> :P

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Wed Oct 22, 2003 3:33 pm

pdf files gimmee a rash. :cuss1:

remember... if it ain't broke, fix it until it is. :oops: :lol: