slow downs?

The place for any forum suggestions, tips, requests, etc...

Moderators: boat, rickh

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:47 pm

Dictator wrote:
boat wrote:and have even been considering consolodating the mysql on a separate machien (which is probably how it should be done anyhoo :P )
Why'd u need that? If mysql is only used for phpbb, then u don't need to use other machine unless u're hosting zillions of data. :P
first ur complaining its too slow..i offer a suggestion to speed things up and u quash it...yeesh! :roll: :P

no particular reason...guess when i was first starting to talk to saith aobut this kinda stuff, he planted the "one machine per server" seed :oops: :P as in, ftp is it own machine, firewall is its own machine, db is its own machine, httpd is it own machine, etc... :roll: :P plus since im using older hw, it would offload things somewhat...and the whole learning/egghead factors... :roll: :lol: :P ...was just an idea :P

actually i was thinking about using the mini-itx machine and making that the new barn, since its a 1Ghz (C3) with 512MB ram, in a nice, small, quiet setup :D

Dictator
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Dictator » Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:53 pm

boat wrote:
Dictator wrote:
boat wrote:and have even been considering consolodating the mysql on a separate machien (which is probably how it should be done anyhoo :P )
Why'd u need that? If mysql is only used for phpbb, then u don't need to use other machine unless u're hosting zillions of data. :P
first ur complaining its too slow..i offer a suggestion to speed things up and u quash it...yeesh! :roll: :P
I wasn't quashing it!! :no: I just didn't see how that would help and that's why I asked you. :P
boat wrote:actually i was thinking about using the mini-itx machine and making that the new barn, since its a 1Ghz (C3) with 512MB ram, in a nice, small, quiet setup :D

That'd help. What's the barn's specs?

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:02 pm

Dictator wrote:
boat wrote:
Dictator wrote: Why'd u need that? If mysql is only used for phpbb, then u don't need to use other machine unless u're hosting zillions of data. :P
I wasn't quashing it!! :no: I just didn't see how that would help and that's why I asked you. :P
boat wrote:actually i was thinking about using the mini-itx machine and making that the new barn, since its a 1Ghz (C3) with 512MB ram, in a nice, small, quiet setup :D

That'd help. What's the barn's specs?
the premise at how consolidating servers to a 'per machine' would be to free up resources...like, instead of having apache, mysql, ftp, ssh or whatever else pulling from the same resources (which are very limited in the case of the barn lineage :oops: :lol: :P )...then each machine would have its own cpu, ram, diskspace to use :ohyeah: :P

...current barn specs...:

http://boat.dyndns.org:8080/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=449

:ohyeah: :lol: :P

heck, the marina (hlds) is running on the old barn, which is a ppro200 w/ 128MB ram :D :P ...lemme see ya do that on a winders machine! :ohyeah: :lol: :P ;) to top that off, its running freebsd with the linux compat layer, in order to run the linux hlds :D

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:26 am

welp, think ima conclude that its the old, slow hardware that's dragging things along, in particular, the hardrive(s), because whenever the barn is being navigated, i can hear the hd chatter, like its lookin around for everything :-? ...id like to get the dual proc machine running, but its huge and has a 10k rmp hd and a coupla big fans, so it might be a lil louder (and since these are in the room with me, noise and heat are a tid bit of a concern... :oops: :P )

:pbt:

Dictator
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Dictator » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:00 am

boat wrote:the premise at how consolidating servers to a 'per machine' would be to free up resources...like, instead of having apache, mysql, ftp, ssh or whatever else pulling from the same resources (which are very limited in the case of the barn lineage :oops: :lol: :P )...then each machine would have its own cpu, ram, diskspace to use :ohyeah: :P
I know the points to have a server for one or two services. But I guess I wasn't being clear. Do u run other services on the barn besides apache and mysql? If u get a chance, u should set up server with apache and mysql only.

Your dual-cpu computer's too noisy? Any idea how to reduce the noise? Buy other case, fans, or something?

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:01 am

Dictator wrote:
boat wrote:the premise at how consolidating servers to a 'per machine' would be to free up resources...like, instead of having apache, mysql, ftp, ssh or whatever else pulling from the same resources (which are very limited in the case of the barn lineage :oops: :lol: :P )...then each machine would have its own cpu, ram, diskspace to use :ohyeah: :P
I know the points to have a server for one or two services. But I guess I wasn't being clear. Do u run other services on the barn besides apache and mysql? If u get a chance, u should set up server with apache and mysql only.

Your dual-cpu computer's too noisy? Any idea how to reduce the noise? Buy other case, fans, or something?
nope, the barn is pretty much jsut running apache and mysql, except for ftp and ssh for file transfers/admin. the old barn, marina, is what is chock full of chit...thats usually what i "toy" with...hlds, vnc, etc

actually, with the dual-cpu machine, the noise assumption isnt 100% accurate :oops: :P cause when i was finally able to get it going, i had had it in a separate room, so i didnt really get a chance to notice it. it has one, maybe 2 or 3 (havent messed with it in a while...its in storage) fans...but the fans are huge, so it might be moderately quiet...though the 10k rpm hd is defeinitely notceble (when its starting up at least :P ). and nope, there nothing i can do for any noise, as far as a new case, etc...its an old, proprietary compaq workstation, so a new case is out of the question...plus its old, so im not gonna put any $$$ into it :oops: :lol: :P

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:46 pm

oh - i know i mentioned this before somewhere along the line, but if/when i get the barn cleaned up and whatnot, im probably only going to install the default theme/style...its jsut easier to maintain, 'cause when there are new version out, they only update the default theme, so id have to manually update all the other themes, and, as we found out early on :oops: :lol: , when installing mods, the mod code has to be manually added to each theme, ie, take this code, replace it here, here, here and here, repeat for each installed theme :oops: :lol: :P