Update/grade

The place for any forum suggestions, tips, requests, etc...

Moderators: boat, rickh

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Update/grade

Post by boat » Sun Nov 03, 2002 6:14 pm

Sorry for the downtime today, i was trying to upgrade/update/migrate the ole Barn. She's finally running 2.0.3 and one the new mahcine:

Freebsd 4.7
latest apache, mysql, php
cyrix pr200mx
288MB ram

so beat'er up, test her out, and make sure everyhting is working ok. ...it does seem to render teh pages slower, which is was i was thinking/hoping would actually've been faster :(

lemme know how it goes :o :eggface:

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Sun Nov 03, 2002 6:20 pm

oh - one more thing: some of you have mentioned slow connects and packet loss... i think that the problem is on the "outside" (out of my hands), but i think i might turn the modem and router off over nite after i hit the hay, just in case its my end :oops: (so expect some possible unavailability overnite :-? )

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Sun Nov 03, 2002 10:11 pm

boat wrote:oh - one more thing: some of you have mentioned slow connects and packet loss... i think that the problem is on the "outside" (out of my hands), but i think i might turn the modem and router off over nite after i hit the hay, just in case its my end :oops: (so expect some possible unavailability overnite :-? )

Oh yeah! I know you have been having problems with loss to EC1, but that has never affected me getting to the barn. The last 3-4 days I've been having problems getting to the barn. I have to stop/reload each page several times before I can get the whole page. I agree with the problem being out of your hands too. I'm still seeing loss mid-way between me and you and it's always on that darn AT&T network. I don't remember AT&T being in the mix before last week either. Someone must have thrown a new router on their network because now I always route through them to get to the barn. :(

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Mon Nov 04, 2002 4:43 pm

well...everything seems ok now (at least better than this morning and this afternoon...i couldnt even remote into the machine) :-? and i know it probably wont help much, but im probably gonna give the modem and router a half hour or so rest after i get home, andmaybe overnite (forgot to do it last nite :oops: ), so expect some downtime between about 430-530pm Est.

other than that, hows she running? :P looks like the pages take a smidgen longer to generate, but everyhting seems to be running smoothly :-? and make sure you give a heads up on any anomolies, because the board itself got kinda an overhaul (running phpBB 2.0.3 now), and some of the addons/mods might have been affected (i dont think that any did, but just in case...)

:bad-words:

:eggface:

thanks!

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Mon Nov 04, 2002 5:48 pm

Wow, she seems really fast right now. What's going on? That darn AT&T. They should stick to phone service!!!
T-Bone

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos
will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

KUMITE
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by KUMITE » Mon Nov 04, 2002 6:51 pm

I'm not sure if its your end or mine, but I seem to be moving faster thru the pages and all. I'm at work still so thats why I'm not sure. Cable modem and new computer. Although I have cable at home. I'll check it out when I get home later. Like I said its moving faster :D

PEACE K :cheers:

KUMITE
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by KUMITE » Mon Nov 04, 2002 9:50 pm

Well now I'm home and moving real slow. Having to refresh a few times. Let me ask you a ? Does having my Mcafee firewall on have to do with this slow/refresh problem on my end. I thought once it lets you in it'll let you move around freely.

PEACE "Still Learning this thing" K :cheers:

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Mon Nov 04, 2002 10:02 pm

KUMITE wrote:Well now I'm home and moving real slow. Having to refresh a few times. Let me ask you a ? Does having my Mcafee firewall on have to do with this slow/refresh problem on my end. I thought once it lets you in it'll let you move around freely.

PEACE "Still Learning this thing" K :cheers:

nope - not you...looks like my connection is having problems agian :evil: ...well, it was good while it lasted :P :lol: :eggface:

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Tue Nov 05, 2002 9:34 am

found it! ...lemme see if i can ^bump^ it back into existence :lol:

^bump^

:eggface:

Cobra
Crusty Ole Barnacle
Crusty Ole Barnacle

Post by Cobra » Wed Nov 06, 2002 9:28 am

I can say a lot worse things about AT&T.
Damn bass-turds :evil:

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Sat Dec 21, 2002 5:40 pm

:oops: if anyone tried to get here today, sorry for the downtime :oops: mysql (the database server) was outta date (security vulnerabilities) and i upgraded it this afternoon...it shoulda been quick and painless, but i kept missing a step here or a step there :x :oops: ...lemme know if its running ok or not.

thanks.

:onfire: :oops:

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Sat Dec 21, 2002 6:08 pm

Looks good so far. I wonder if it will cure the phantom pages. :-?
T-Bone

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos
will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

KUMITE
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by KUMITE » Sat Dec 21, 2002 8:00 pm

No problems here.

PEACE K :cheers:

Drewbacca
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Drewbacca » Sun Dec 22, 2002 7:25 pm

No problems so far. But kinda laggy in EC I. Has it been that way this weekend, T?

8)

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Sun Dec 22, 2002 9:33 pm

Drewbacca wrote:No problems so far. But kinda laggy in EC I. Has it been that way this weekend, T?

8)

You tell me. I'm on the same network as EC1 so I don't necessarily experience the lag you are talking about. :P

Drewbacca
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Drewbacca » Mon Dec 23, 2002 12:46 pm

Yeah, it's been laggy this past weekend.

8)

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:49 pm

just a note that i might try and migrate/upgrade the barn again this week (maybe even today). so if she cant be reached, daz whats goin on :) ;)

i got my 1G duron outta storage...but im still undecieded as to use this or the epia board (from the po boats tivo). :-?

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:03 pm

good timing... the barn seems to be gittin worse this last week. i get the page header then it takes ~15 secs to get the articles.

the epia? ya giving up on the tivo? you can always install winbloze media edition. :lol:

Dictator
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Dictator » Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:14 pm

boat wrote:just a note that i might try and migrate/upgrade the barn again this week (maybe even today). so if she cant be reached, daz whats goin on :) ;)

i got my 1G duron outta storage...but im still undecieded as to use this or the epia board (from the po boats tivo). :-?
1G duron... is that AMD? If it's better than the barn machine, go for it. :P Install OpenBSD while your at it. :lol:

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:26 pm

yeah, its even slow on the lan, with it two feet away from me :-?

tivo-already tried winders media edition (well not the media edition specifically, just xp...some of hte media edition requirements seemed a hair beefier than the epia's specs :-? )

the main concern of whether to use the duron vs the epia was power, heat and noise. the epia is near silent in operation, with just 2 small slow fans (ps, cpu) and a hd running, and like a 100-something watt ps. the duron has 2 80mm case fans, cpu fan, ps fan, and is like a 300W ps. the duron is however beefier...but with that beef comes extra heat. :roll: :P

think ima stick with freebsd for now, eh. :P probably 4.10, since ima try to get this done this week...5.3 being released next week and all :roll: :P

and i just got out all the parts, if interested..:

1G duron
512M ram
120G hd (7200 rpm, 2M cache)
nic
voodoo3 2000 (couldnt find my other, older video cards :oops: :lol: :P )
freebsd 4.10

so if all goes well, should see a significant speed up :oops: :lol: