Barn migration!

The place for any forum suggestions, tips, requests, etc...

Moderators: boat, rickh

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Barn migration!

Post by boat » Tue May 30, 2006 11:33 pm

welp, i finally decieded on and got a host and domain going, and just finished up getting the barn switched over to her new home.

as always, put'er thru the wringer, twist'er, tug'er, and lemme know if if ya encounter any problems or whatnot.

:bbounce:

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Tue May 30, 2006 11:51 pm

welp, seems quicker
T-Bone

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos
will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Wed May 31, 2006 2:19 pm

definitely faster here at work.
T-Bone

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Wed May 31, 2006 2:23 pm

yeah, she a tid bit faster...especially for downloads :lol: :P i guess having a phat pipe on a higher tier with clusters of servers can be a little more powerful then a home cable connection on a single run-everything-on-it server :oops: :lol: :pbt: ;)

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Wed May 31, 2006 2:33 pm

oh yeah. one thing you may notice (probably not, as who/how often does anyone search these forums :lol: ) is that searches will probably not turn up any results. this is partly due to how i had to finagle the db onto the host space. what i essentially had to do was backup separate "chunks" of the db to keep each chunk below the 2MB filesize limit for the sql query file upload. the two bigest "chunks" were the tables that held the posts and wordmatch. the wordmatch table was hte biggest or at least seemingly most intensive. after searching around, some advice was that i could essentially empty the table all together since its just indexed words for searches...catch22 is that searches will turn up empty, unless the words are w/in new posts. once i found this out, i was only a fraction of the way thru restoring the wordmatch table, so i just stopped and emptied it. i did come across a mod that rebuilds the search indices, but have yet decieded whether or not to do it yet :P partly because its a "plain" phpbb mod, so i dunno how or if it might/mightnot play nice with phpbbplus :?

Dictator
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Dictator » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:40 pm

boat wrote:oh yeah. one thing you may notice (probably not, as who/how often does anyone search these forums :lol: ) is that searches will probably not turn up any results. this is partly due to how i had to finagle the db onto the host space. what i essentially had to do was backup separate "chunks" of the db to keep each chunk below the 2MB filesize limit for the sql query file upload. the two bigest "chunks" were the tables that held the posts and wordmatch. the wordmatch table was hte biggest or at least seemingly most intensive. after searching around, some advice was that i could essentially empty the table all together since its just indexed words for searches...catch22 is that searches will turn up empty, unless the words are w/in new posts. once i found this out, i was only a fraction of the way thru restoring the wordmatch table, so i just stopped and emptied it. i did come across a mod that rebuilds the search indices, but have yet decieded whether or not to do it yet :P partly because its a "plain" phpbb mod, so i dunno how or if it might/mightnot play nice with phpbbplus :?
Can't you ask the hoster to upload the file for ya? I understand that there are policies to limit the uploading but I'm sure in your case, you should be able to do it for one time. For that reason, you're a new customer and need to move your site to their hosting servers. :?
Give me liberty, or I may well give you death.

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:31 pm

well it wasnt a matter of actually uploading a file to the webspace...i can do that all day long. the problem was that the only way to access mysql was thru a slightly modified phpmyadmin interface...im guessing that either the phpmyadmin or the php settings limited uploads to 2MB, and it was only for remote files, ie, i couldnt upload it to the webspace and point it to a local file. i did send a message to tech support to see if there was any other way to circumvent it and he pretty much told me that i have to upgrade if i want to do anything else...something along the lines of "your package doesnt support ssh access, but if you did have ssh access then you can do it this way <link to faq>. and here are hte packages that include ssh access <link>"... :roll: :fist: ...granted, i was tempted to upgrade, but all that essentially gave me was ssh access and another domain name, and a few other things :?

Dictator
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Dictator » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:43 pm

Is the file entirely SQL script? You said the hoster has phpmyadmin. There should be SQL option there, you can copy SQL script and paste there then execute the script. Hope that will work.

If it does not work, do u know SQL? I do know them and I may help you there. Such as split large SQL script into series of small scripts to insert bit of data there and there.
Give me liberty, or I may well give you death.

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:49 pm

might i refer you to about 3 or 4 posts previous to this one...? hehehe :no: :nyanya:

yeah, the backup is simply an sql dump. thats pretty much what i did...selectively "backed up" certain tables and made sure the filesize would have fell under size limit. really hte only tables of sig. were the ones that contained the posts (phpbb_posts) and wordmatch list for searches (phpbb_search_wordmatch). so i just made a coupla general chunks of the regular tables and separate back ups of the posts and wordmatch table. i think had to gzip the posts and match tables though...they were like 4-5M each (the file upload allowed gz'd files). oh well, it was tedious, but all seems well now...just hope i wont have to restore it again any time soon :pbt: :drinking: :lol:

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:38 pm

has the barn seemed a lil sluggish the last 2-3 days for anyone else? i checked from both work & home. it definitely seems something is off. :?: :?: :?:
T-Bone

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:46 pm

seems hit n miss...bout a week ago i had it regurgitate some erroe about the session in the header... :? the bad thing about hosting offsite, is if somehting goes wrong, i can just swap chit over and/or just troubleshoot quickly on my own, im at the mercy of the host :? :roll: