domain dot?

The place for any forum suggestions, tips, requests, etc...

Moderators: boat, rickh

which dot?

.com
25%
.net
25%
.org
No votes
other
50%

Total votes: 4

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

domain dot?

Post by boat » Tue May 23, 2006 8:37 am

ive always sorta been considering registering a domain and/or getting a dedicated webhost as well...but i can never deciede/figure out what kind of "dot" to go with...such as...

boat.com
boat.net
boat.org
boat.......

(pretty much all the boats are taken, just using as an example :P )

.com seems the most logical and easiest since everyone is accustomed to it, but my brief domain research/searches always seems that .com's are usually a little more expensive (not by much, but a penny saved is a penny earned :P ;) ). so then i start to think that barn users are used to the .org by now, so that wouldnt be a bad choice. however .net seems to usually flow better, but can probably get confused with .com easier.

thoughts/opinions?

:?:

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Tue May 23, 2006 9:04 am

boat.anchor
boat.sink
boat.seasea
boat.xxx ;)
T-Bone

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos
will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

Dictator
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Dictator » Tue May 23, 2006 9:57 am

I like net. :ggrin:

What domain name do you go with?
Give me liberty, or I may well give you death.

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Tue May 23, 2006 10:32 am

wasnt sure yet. since boat was already taken on all accounts... :lol: ...probably bopat....bopat.net, bopat.org. and/or possibly an iteration of my name, but dunno if i would wanna worry about or need multiple domains. though some of the hosting providers include mulple domain registrations, depending on what package you get. the ones that appear good thusfar are...

http://www.webmasters.com/
http://www.zzhosting.com/
http://mochahost.com/

webmasters is a little more, but it includes a free domain registration, and they say hosting is unrestricted, as long as its legal. but i think the pricing is a flat rate, whereas others that advertise the low rates are only for like 1-2 year contracts. plus it looks pretty feature-rich. and they also seem well established, sicne 1994.

zzhosting looks prpetty appealing at first, but from what i can tell theyre just hosting, so i would have to register a domain elsewhere.

and mochahost seems on par with webmasters, but theyre lower cost is attributed to one of those 1-2 year contracts...but they claim lifetime domain with that deal.

:?:

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Tue May 23, 2006 12:17 pm

have you checked 1and1.com. i hear good things about them.
T-Bone

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Tue May 23, 2006 3:07 pm

naw, ive only started looking around today.

no mind...just linking a few more for me to check out later when i have more time... :P

http://www.ixwebhosting.com/
http://www.websitesource.com/
http://www.hostforweb.com/
http://powweb.com/ *freebsd based :ohyeah: :P

while not entirely neccessary, some sellings points w/in some of the packages in this entire thread are ssh access and a static ip :-? its always a catch-22 though...when one host offers feature A but not B, another host offers B and an extra C but not A...argh. :roll:

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Tue May 23, 2006 5:59 pm

well this is certainly proving more difficult than anticipated...

webmasters - 9.95 per month flat
+unrestricted content
+plethora of languages/protocols
+300G bandwidth
-one free/included domain
-shared ip
-highest cost

mochahost - 7.95 per month
+cheaper
+/- says ssh access restricted...not sure if that means no ssh access or just limited ssh access :?
+unique ip
-restricted content
-100G bandwidth

ixwebhosting - 7.95 per month per 12month contract
+3 free domains
+6 unique ip's
+300G bandwidth
+mysql AND pgsql (50 db's each)
-contract pricing - anyhting less than 1y contract has 30$ setup; 2y contract brings costs to 6.45
-not as robust language/protocol support
-restricted content

powweb - 7.77 per month flat
+freebsd! :P
+400G bandwidth
-one free domain w/ 1y contract
-contract pricing...less than a year includes a 30$ setup fee; though theyre running a may special that includes 6 months free with a 1y contract, and 14months free with a 2y contract
-restricted content

1and1 home - 4.99 (also have a 9.99 plan with 3 domains, ssh, little more robust lang/pro...3month billing cycle...home has 6month)
+cheapest
+500G bandwidth
+2 free domains
+90 day guarantee
-not as robust languages/protocols
+/-nothing that i can find about content restriction
+/-nothing that i can find about unique ip's

oh, i think i just figured out that a "lifetime" domain reg means that as long as you stay with the host, the domain automatically remains registered...hosts that dont have that, you have to manually re-register the domain...so a little convenience factor there... :?

not that i will probably never touch any of hte bandwidth limitations or host "restricted content" or need ssh or pgsql or even need a unique ip for that matter...its just stuff that may be nice to have available if need be... :P

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Tue May 23, 2006 6:33 pm

did you check with your isp? they may open ports for ya then you can just run everything outta your house. you may have to use their smtp server as a proxy if they won't open ports 25/110 for ya.
T-Bone

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Tue May 23, 2006 7:09 pm

i wasnt tryin to run any more services, i was mainly looking to maybe offload/offsite the barn and such, for redundancy and uptime and that good stuff. plus having a fully qualified domain would be a little easier to play with...barn.bopat.net or bopat.net/phpBB vs boat.dyndns.org:8080/phpBB.

plus theres that whole thing with most isp's not wanting people to host servers and such :oops: :P i know that at least 25 and 80 are blocked on my end, so they probably have the same thing goin :oops:

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Thu May 25, 2006 7:55 am

Welp, like I said, I didn't know if they'd open ports for ya if you actually had web hosting thru them, but if you're gonna offload services then I guess it really doesn't matter.

Any luck narrowing down the choices?
T-Bone

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Thu May 25, 2006 8:29 am

Welp, like I said, I didn't know if they'd open ports for ya if you actually had web hosting thru them, but if you're gonna offload services then I guess it really doesn't matter.
i poked around the terms, etc the other day for chagrins and it had mention of servers...or lack thereof, so opening ports may be out of the question :P plus aside from offloading some services, it would be nice to have stuff on standard ports, as to not trouble/worry with like :8080. as well as redundancy/uptime and such, as if i were to move or change isp's or have a power/connection outtage or whatnot
Any luck narrowing down the choices?
not really...was sorta hoping for more insight/advice/opinions... :lol: order of choices thusfar are probably...

1and1
webmaster
mochahost
ix
powweb

with probably a lean more towards 1and1's businiess package, as its 5c more than webmasters, but it includes 3 domains, more bandwidth, ssh.

decisions, decisions :drinking: :P

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Mon May 29, 2006 12:04 pm

okies, i bit hte bullet and gots me a host and stuff. now onto the barn migration...should it be a subdomain, ie, barn.bopat.net or keep with the current scheme, ie, bopat.net/phpBB? :?: :-?

Dictator
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Dictator » Mon May 29, 2006 1:10 pm

I like barn.bopat.net better. It's easier for me to type than bopat.net/phpBB. :P

Grummun
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Grummun » Mon May 29, 2006 2:42 pm

Dictator wrote:I like barn.bopat.net better. It's easier for me to type than bopat.net/phpBB. :P
What he said. Should be non-case sensitive, too, unlike /phpBB.

[NME]Myth
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]Myth » Mon May 29, 2006 2:46 pm

Grummun wrote:
Dictator wrote:I like barn.bopat.net better. It's easier for me to type than bopat.net/phpBB. :P
What he said. Should be non-case sensitive, too, unlike /phpBB.
Agree!
LET'S GO HOKIES!!!

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Mon May 29, 2006 6:50 pm

i don't give a chit. unlike these bozoz, i know how to use bookmarks. :lol: :P
T-Bone

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Mon May 29, 2006 7:17 pm

well i didnt know squat about all this when i first set things up, so i got stuck with the casesensetivity :oops: :lol: :P

and i think ive already hit my first hurdle :x i was playing around with the db feature earlier to see how it worked...created a new db, when to try and upload a backedup db, and it has a file upload limit of 2MB...the barn db is 12M unzipped, 3M zipped :x so ima hafta find a way to maybe break down hte db into seprate tables and query them each or contact the host and see if i can send them the file to insert...or worse case, host the db from home :o :-? but then that opens up a whole nother can of worms :roll:

edit: also, should it be...barn, thebarn, barnacle, thebarnacle, or somehting else? :?: :? :oops: :P

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Mon May 29, 2006 8:22 pm

boat wrote:well i didnt know squat about all this when i first set things up, so i got stuck with the casesensetivity :oops: :lol: :P
and ya call yourself a nix expert? :P
and i think ive already hit my first hurdle :x i was playing around with the db feature earlier to see how it worked...created a new db, when to try and upload a backedup db, and it has a file upload limit of 2MB...the barn db is 12M unzipped, 3M zipped :x so ima hafta find a way to maybe break down hte db into seprate tables and query them each or contact the host and see if i can send them the file to insert...or worse case, host the db from home :o :-? but then that opens up a whole nother can of worms :roll:
umm... dontcha have ftp? why not ftp it over then restore it as a local file. ;)
edit: also, should it be...barn, thebarn, barnacle, thebarnacle, or somehting else? :?: :? :oops: :P
barn is the short lovable nickname. barnacle is it's offical name. "the" is just a pronoun or some stupid chit like that, so i say go with plain ole vanilla barnacle.
T-Bone

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Mon May 29, 2006 9:54 pm

now i never called myself an expert :pbt: plus i said when i first set this up...thats been a few years...it was working, so why change things :lol: :P

because mysql admin seems very limited...it has a myphpadmin interface built in to hte control panel, and the only option it appears to have is to upload a file directly to that (with hte 2MB filesize limit :x ) :? if i do the separate table backup, there are only 2-3 tables that are significantly big, so i may be able to back those up separately, then the meat and the rest of hte tables as one backup, so maybe a 3 or 4 file upload and query :?

Dictator
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Dictator » Tue May 30, 2006 7:45 am

forums.bopat.net or forum.bopat.net?