Microsoft Antispyware

The place to discuss that runs all that hardware you have...

Moderators: boat, rickh

Dictator
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Microsoft Antispyware

Post by Dictator » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:00 pm

Have anybody tried Microsoft Antispyware or did anybody hear positive/negative about it?

My friend tried it and told me it found many spyware that spybot and adware didn't pick up. Even though this software is still beta.
Give me liberty, or I may well give you death.

[NME]Myth
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]Myth » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:15 pm

I've tried it at work and it seems pretty good. I don't like the real-time protection though because it will scan anything before you open it so it causes a delay when trying to open Excel files and whatnot which is annoying. But you can turn that off.

Also some cool other features like maintaining your startup programs and whatnot. I'd give it a thumbs up.
LET'S GO HOKIES!!!

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:15 pm

I tried it... dunno if it works, because it didn't find anything so I took it off. :lol:

I tried it at work and all it found was tightvnc, which I installed myself. So, I removed it from that machine too.

Then again, the average joe probably doesn't keep their machine as clean as I do.

Mustard
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Mustard » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:32 pm

I have it, it found 2 items that neither Spytbot or Ad-aware did. I've also heard stories of it deleting internet explorer because it thinks it's spyware. :D

KaptainSkitzo
Ole Barnacle
Ole Barnacle

Post by KaptainSkitzo » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:24 pm

You mean IE *ISN'T* spyware?!?!
"There are thousands of people out there who say I am *NOT* right in the head. There are thousands more out there who say I *AM* right in the head. The funny thing is, they all make these claims for the SAME REASONS!"
-Me.

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:31 pm

IE isn't spyware, it's hackware and as usual has shown up in yet another round of patches just released yesterday.

Cochise
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Cochise » Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:10 pm

Mustard wrote:I have it, it found 2 items that neither Spytbot or Ad-aware did. I've also heard stories of it deleting internet explorer because it thinks it's spyware. :D

It found 2 trojan downloaders on my machine at work that Adaware and Spybot did not find. I think it works pretty good until it becomes non-freeware.