dual monitor/virtual desktop

The place to discuss that runs all that hardware you have...

Moderators: boat, rickh

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

dual monitor/virtual desktop

Post by boat » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:53 pm

okies, i came into another lcd and was looking to get some kinda dual monitor setup. i can easily do the 'expand desktop' and 'clone' thing, but what im looking to do is essentially have two separate desktops running but on the same machine. like, have my main monitor used for everyday stuff, gaming, browsing, etc. and run secondary stuff on the second desktop/monitor, like ssh or vns or whatever...so like, so i can be playing a game on the main, then "alt+2" to move kb/mouse functions over to the second desktop/monitor so poke aorund on vnc or browse for soemthing on the web...whatever. i figure that a dualhead video card wont do what im wanting, so i stuck in an old voodoo3 pci card in to run the second monitor. db had said that *nix/xwindows, all i would have to do is assign each desktop to each display adaptor....sooo, anyone know how or what kinda software would accomplish this for me in xp? :? :?:

thanks.

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:23 am

hrmmm... didn't know you could do that in nix. i know kde and some other desktop managers allow multiple desktops (single monitor) and you can switch between them, like the nvidia desktop manager does.

i've never seen anything like that for xp. what you can do (expensive resource wise) with 2 vid cards or dual head, is run a second copy of xp in a vm. assign one copy full screen on display 1 and the other copy full screen on display 2.
T-Bone

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos
will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:21 am

yep...not entirely sure about the virtual desktop part, but as far as the xwindows setup goes, its essentially like...

<xconfig blah>
Device0 "display adaptor 1"

Device1 "display adaptor 2"

Screen0 "Device0"

Screen1 "Device1"
<xconfig blah>

(hopefully that makes sense to more than just me :oops: :P i came across a sample config last nite, but cant come up with it right now :roll: :P )

yeah...thats the last option i was working on last nite. i got virtualpc 2004 installed and a copy of xp installed in a vm....but i dont see how/where i can assign it to use the second display adaptor...unless virtualpc 2004 isnt advanced enough? :?: :?

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:39 am

makes sense to me. chit like that just makes ya lub nix more. :D

virtualpc'04 may not play nice with dual head cards, but it should still virtualize multiple vid cards... at least vmware does. just go into your display properties, select the monitor (monitor 1 or monitor 2) and click the box that says use this as the primary display.
T-Bone

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:40 pm

Have you checked out the nvidia desktop manager? All newer nvidia cards/drivers have it. You'd still be extending/cloning the desktop as normal, but you can use hotkeys to display alternate desktops. i've used it before and it works well, just never used it with games. neat feature is if you have an app that is cluttering up your display, hit a hotkey to move it to a different virtual desktop. Go into your display drivers advanced settings and enable the desktop manager. You may want to go under tools and enable desktop context menu too.
T-Bone

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

synergy

Post by boat » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:31 am

welp, i decided to get back on the horse and have another go after reading a little more about synergy. and...it works! its like a kvm, but without the 'v', so it takes two monitors, and two machines, but you can set it up to act like an extended desktop or use hotkeys to switch. though since theyre different machines, you can move programs around between the two, like you could with an extended/virtual desktop (but that wasnt exactly what i was going for anyhoo, so im content :P ). i havent played with it extensively just yet as i only got it going last nite, but what little i did, it was functional and pretty kewl to play with :P the setup i have is xp and pcbsd (freebsd; pcbsd seems pretty nice too, especially for any freebsd newbs, or unix newbs for that matter ;) ). oh, and even though you cant move apps around between the two, i think synergy does tout the ability to have a shared clipboard, so you can copy/paste text between screens. :) spare monitor and machine? give it a try :pbt: ;)