Windows update trouble

The place to discuss that runs all that hardware you have...

Moderators: boat, rickh

Grummun
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Windows update trouble

Post by Grummun » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:15 pm

I'm rebuilding my wife's PC, since her old hard drive died. I'm installing WinXP Pro, same copy I installed before, and this time around WIndows Update won't let me install any patches. Previously, it would let me install up through Service Pack 2 before it got touchy about validating the license key; this time it gets touchy right away. Has anyone heard anything abiout MS changing policies on update? :-?

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:27 pm

well, is it a, urm...copy that came with the puter...? ;) :P if not, it more than likely wont take hte windows update, talking about the genuine windows bla-biddy-blah. most i have...hear of do with moderate success is to simply grab the "network install" of sp2 and use that if possible, otherwise may be stuck with whatever the initial install is.

and a sort of last resort to a winders solution would be to jump on the vista beta release :pbt: ;)

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:31 pm

Ummm... did it d/l the newest version of wga? They keep touting these as critical updates which come over most every freakin patch tuesday. Lots of controversy over the whole thing.
T-Bone

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos
will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

Grummun
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Grummun » Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:55 pm

I'm using a volume license key that hasn't given me trouble in the past. The only thing it claims to have updated so far is 'BITS'.

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:16 pm

I take it this is a valid volume license key? From work possibly? If it's valid, I don't see why it shouldn't work. I used my volume key on the new puter I built in december with no troubles.
T-Bone

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos
will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

Grummun
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Grummun » Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:35 pm

[NME]T-Bone wrote:I take it this is a valid volume license key? From work possibly? If it's valid, I don't see why it shouldn't work. I used my volume key on the new puter I built in december with no troubles.

As far as I know it's valid. Is there an ongoing license renewal fee? Maybe the volume license has been let to lapse, and that's the problem? Is MS that smart?

[NME]Myth
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]Myth » Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:01 pm

Grummun wrote:
[NME]T-Bone wrote:I take it this is a valid volume license key? From work possibly? If it's valid, I don't see why it shouldn't work. I used my volume key on the new puter I built in december with no troubles.

As far as I know it's valid. Is there an ongoing license renewal fee? Maybe the volume license has been let to lapse, and that's the problem? Is MS that smart?

I got screwed by the wga with a vlk I got from work. You'll know that's your problem cause when you boot up it will go to a splash screen that makes you wait 5 seconds before you have to click a button to finish booting to windows. It also has a little star icon on your quikstart bar that pops up a bubble message every few minutes saying you are a victim of pirating. Follow the instructions below to get rid of it. Once you do this, the next time Windows Update tells you to install this do custom and tell it not to notify you of that update anymore. I did this and it worked like a charm.

1. Use regedit and goto
\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES\SOFTWARE
\Microsoft\WindowsNT
\CurrentVersion
\Winlogon\Notify
delete folder "Wgalogon" and all the contents

2. set your system folders to unhide Folder view or you won't see dllcache folder

3. go to c:\windows\system32,
rename WgaTray.exe to WgaTray.exeold
rename Wgalogon.dll to Wgalogon.dllold

4. go to c:\windows\system32\dllcache, rename WgaTray.exe to WgaTray.exeold ***Myth here. When I did this it still wouldn't show this folder so I just went to start, run and typed in the path.******

5. kill wgatray.exe from TASK MANAGER. Done.

If still have problems, reboot the computer and login to windows xp in safe mode and repeat the above steps
LET'S GO HOKIES!!!