Recommendation needed

The place to discuss that runs all that hardware you have...

Moderators: boat, rickh

The_ref
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Recommendation needed

Post by The_ref » Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:10 am

Guys

I want to make a web interface for a database I have running for football game reports. I currently use mySQL for the database.

Any recommandations on what to use to accomplish this goal? Is php something I should look into, or is there something better?

Thanks

Jeremy aka The Ref

Grummun
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Grummun » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:19 am

PHP is pretty popular with Web types; I don't use PHP myself, but know a little about it; I'd guess it'll do what you want (this bulletin board is implemented in PHP). I'm a Perl type myself; I don't know that you could make a web page do anything using Perl that you couldn't using PHP, but Perl is probably a more generally useful language. On the other hand, PHP is probably better supported in Web environments.

G

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:23 am

...also, i believe php is restricted to being embedded in the html files where as once you learn perl, you can create stand alone scripts that don't need tied to a web front end. apache web servers used to have a mod that allowed you to embed perl in html files. i don't know if they still have that, but it can come in handy.
T-Bone

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos
will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

Grummun
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Grummun » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:45 pm

[NME]T-Bone wrote:apache web servers used to have a mod that allowed you to embed perl in html files. i don't know if they still have that, but it can come in handy.

mod_perl they calls it. It's a little more involved than just writing CGI scripts in perl. I thought there was a similar apache mod for php?

Dictator
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Dictator » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:09 pm

Grummun wrote:mod_perl they calls it. It's a little more involved than just writing CGI scripts in perl. I thought there was a similar apache mod for php?

Yes. There's a module for both php4 & php5.

Perl doesn't need CGI. It can use mod_perl along with Template-toolkit, Mason, or Apache::ASP.

the_ref, you need to explain a bit more about your project and your web development & programming background. Also, what kind of server will this project be hosted? I assume it's your home server. Is it freebsd? linux?

There are many programming languages that can work with web servers and database servers. Some of them can do what you need to do. I can name them: asp, asp .NET, perl, php, python, ruby, jsp(java), coldfusion, and more. :silly:
Give me liberty, or I may well give you death.