Open Office

The place to discuss that runs all that hardware you have...

Moderators: boat, rickh

Post Reply
User avatar
[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true
Posts: 2818
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2002 8:00 pm
Location: Sharpsville, PA

Open Office

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:20 am

Open Office 2.0 was released yesterday.

New to the Office suite are the database module called OpenOffice.org Base and native support for the OpenDocument format. The application also sports an overhaul to the user interface.
T-Bone

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos
will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

User avatar
[NME]Myth
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true
Posts: 980
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2002 8:00 pm
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Contact:

Post by [NME]Myth » Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:04 pm

Advocates of the new version of the software suite point to the applications potential as a serious contender to Microsoft Office. "OpenOffice.org is on a path toward being the most popular office suite the world has ever seen; providing users with safety, choice, and an opportunity to participate in one of the broadest community efforts the Internet has ever seen," said Sun COO Jonathan Schwartz in a statement.


:nuts:

OpenOffice---> :zap: <---MS Office

If it does become a serious contender I will have been in my grave for years.
LET'S GO HOKIES!!!

User avatar
Grummun
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true
Posts: 205
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:49 pm
Location: Central OH
Contact:

Post by Grummun » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:13 pm

[NME]Myth wrote:
Advocates of the new version of the software suite point to the applications potential as a serious contender to Microsoft Office. "OpenOffice.org is on a path toward being the most popular office suite the world has ever seen; providing users with safety, choice, and an opportunity to participate in one of the broadest community efforts the Internet has ever seen," said Sun COO Jonathan Schwartz in a statement.


:nuts:

OpenOffice---> :zap: <---MS Office

If it does become a serious contender I will have been in my grave for years.


For what it's worth, Massachusetts just decided to back the 'OpenDocument standard'; are there any other office suites (or even standalone apps) apart from OO that support OpenDocument? On the other hand, government support is no guarantee of widespread acceptance (*cough* Ada *cough*).

User avatar
[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true
Posts: 2818
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2002 8:00 pm
Location: Sharpsville, PA

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:48 pm

Hey, I had ADA in college. I thought it was great. The OO (object oriention) and messaging was awesome. A lot of fly by wire planes were based on ADA. Besides, anything is better than LISP. ;) Can you say parenthesis? :lol:
T-Bone

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos
will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

User avatar
[NME]Myth
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true
Posts: 980
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2002 8:00 pm
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Contact:

Post by [NME]Myth » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:11 pm

It doesn't matter about any backing it gets from anywhere. MS Office is too ingrained in corporate America. I've never used it and it is probably a good program, but it will be the Mozilla of office suites. (btw, I use Firefox. :D)

I saw the same statement with regards to Mozilla over IE. The percentages were like 93% to 5%. :lol:
LET'S GO HOKIES!!!

User avatar
Grummun
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true
Posts: 205
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:49 pm
Location: Central OH
Contact:

Post by Grummun » Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:55 pm

[NME]T-Bone wrote:Hey, I had ADA in college. I thought it was great. The OO (object oriention) and messaging was awesome. A lot of fly by wire planes were based on ADA. Besides, anything is better than LISP. ;) Can you say parenthesis? :lol:


Old joke from pre-WWW internet... some guy claims the programming for the space shuttle is written in lisp, and he's got the source code. To prove it, he posts the last 20 lines of code, and it's all close-parens. :P

User avatar
[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true
Posts: 2818
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2002 8:00 pm
Location: Sharpsville, PA

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:00 pm

Grummun wrote:
[NME]T-Bone wrote:Hey, I had ADA in college. I thought it was great. The OO (object oriention) and messaging was awesome. A lot of fly by wire planes were based on ADA. Besides, anything is better than LISP. ;) Can you say parenthesis? :lol:


Old joke from pre-WWW internet... some guy claims the programming for the space shuttle is written in lisp, and he's got the source code. To prove it, he posts the last 20 lines of code, and it's all close-parens. :P


:rofl:

LISP was one language I was glad I never had to use outside of college.
T-Bone

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos
will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

Post Reply