MySQL or PostgreSQL?

The place to discuss that runs all that hardware you have...

Moderators: boat, rickh

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

MySQL or PostgreSQL?

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:14 am

Which do you use and why?

I'm looking into putting a dbms on my home machine for development/testing purposes. So far it seems that postgre is better, but mysql is better supported by the community.
T-Bone

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos
will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:41 pm

thats about all ive heard as well. that theyre starting to converge as far as features, etc. they just took different paths to get to the same place :lol: :P

...why not put both on? :pbt: :D ;)

thought we had a db admin around here somewheres...im sure he's done moving by now...? :roll: :P

Dictator
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Dictator » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:55 pm

I like postgresql better. It's pretty close to Oracle. I remember I read some article about the comparsion of both postgresql and mysql. I'll try to remember to find it. You may want to check http://forums.devshed.com/ for the comparison between these database.

It's true MySQL has larger community than PostgreSQL but I find Postgre more mature. However, people say MySQL is getting there. I don't know how well PostgreSQL runs on windows natively. I believe version 8 is their first release for windows (not cygwin).

Keep in mind, PostgreSQL is better for heavy duty database than MySQL. MySQL is more suited to the web development since it's faster. I think it has something do with query or transaction.
Give me liberty, or I may well give you death.

Dictator
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Dictator » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:56 pm

Oh yeah, postgresql.org has better web design than mysql.com. :lol:

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:56 pm

boat wrote: ...why not put both on? :pbt: :D ;)
because this is also my tfc/only machine. i don't want to be hoggin cpu cycles on two dbms's.

also, i've heard that mysql has problems maintaining foreign key restraints. this is a definate necessity. can anyone confirm this? if it can't manage them properly then i'm not even going to bother installing it.

dictator, we use mssql enterprise edition at work. do you know if postgres is similar? i haven't used oracle since the 80's and i'm sure a lot has changed since then.
T-Bone

Grummun
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Grummun » Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:02 am

[NME]T-Bone wrote:
boat wrote: ...why not put both on? :pbt: :D ;)
because this is also my tfc/only machine. i don't want to be hoggin cpu cycles on two dbms's.

also, i've heard that mysql has problems maintaining foreign key restraints. this is a definate necessity. can anyone confirm this? if it can't manage them properly then i'm not even going to bother installing it.

dictator, we use mssql enterprise edition at work. do you know if postgres is similar? i haven't used oracle since the 80's and i'm sure a lot has changed since then.
Postgres supports a lot of features that mysql does not (a quick rundown here), features that you would find in oracle or mssql. Mysql supports multiple table types; its default table type (MyISAM) is blazin fast, but doesn't support transactions or foreign key constraints; those features are supported with the InnoDB table type, but it hurts you in performance.

Dictator
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Dictator » Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:41 am

Grummun wrote:here[/url]), features that you would find in oracle or mssql. Mysql supports multiple table types; its default table type (MyISAM) is blazin fast, but doesn't support transactions or foreign key constraints;
These are main reasons (foreign key & transactions) why I chose PostgreSQL over MySQL. I recalled some article I read, said PostgreSQL's queries are faster than MySQL when deal with tons of data.

I haven't used ms sql (soon I will with my new job). So, I can't tell the comparsion, but I do know *most* features in Oracle are in PostgreSQL.

http://troels.arvin.dk/db/rdbms/

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:42 am

thanks for all the info guys! 8)

thanks grum!!! looks like mysql doesn't even support constraints yet and being that postgre is more ansi compliant, it keeps the learning curve lower.
T-Bone

[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:01 am

just a few extra tidbits about these two:

sun looks to postgres
slashdot comments

mysql ready for prime time?
slashdot comments