FreeBSD/mySQL

The place to discuss that runs all that hardware you have...

Moderators: boat, rickh

The_ref
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

FreeBSD/mySQL

Post by The_ref » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:47 pm

If anyone is using FreeBSD and/or mySQL, I hope you can help.

1) I am trying to run x-windows but i can not get it to work. When i use xdm i get to log in, but no terminal windows open. When i try to run xterm, it says the display isn't set.

2) I am also trying to run MySQL with MyODBC so I can connect from remote computers. However, whenever I try to connect, it says the server is not responding. The server is running and it active.

Anyone have any ideas on either of these topics?

Thanks

Jeremy aka The Ref

Grummun
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Grummun » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:24 pm

From your client machine, telnet to your mysql server machine on port 3306. If it says 'connected' somewhere in the output, then you've proven 1) the two machines can communicate, 2) that mysql is holding open it's standard port, and 3) your client machine can get to that port. If that works, try tcpdump or some other ethernet sniffing software to verify that your client machine ODBC is configured correctly. If you run (as root)

Code: Select all

$ tcpdump -i <ifname> host <hostname>

on your server, then try to connect from the client, you should see a burst of traffic (ifname is the name of the ethernet interface, hostname is the name or address of your client). If not, your client is misconfigured.

Hope that helps.

The_ref
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by The_ref » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:54 pm

Alright

I telnetted to the machine on port 3306 and got a bunch of jibberish and then a connection lost message. Just for kicks, I telnetted to port 1433 and got a connection refused message.

Any ideas where to go from here?

Thanks

Grummun
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Grummun » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:34 am

Well, if you can connect to that port, and get gibberish, then it seems likely the server is okay. If the server hadn't been listening, you would have gotten what you did for port 1433: connection refused. So, I'd guess the client is misconfigured somehow. You could try the tcpdump suggestion to see if the client is sending data to the correct server; that would also tell you if the client is attempting to connect on the wrong port. Beyond that, I dunno... is the client windows or unixish?

The_ref
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by The_ref » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:20 pm

Ok... feel free to smack me upside the head.

I didn't read the documentation well enough on the MyODBC connector.... I didn't know I had to install that on Windows in order to connect to my ODBC. Once I did that, it worked like a charm.

Onto my next challenge... getting apache to startup.. right now its giving me trouble and saying that the httpd won't start.. but I still have to read the docs tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Jeremy aka The Ref

boat
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by boat » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:46 pm

The_ref wrote:Ok... feel free to smack me upside the head.

I didn't read the documentation well enough on the MyODBC connector.... I didn't know I had to install that on Windows in order to connect to my ODBC. Once I did that, it worked like a charm.

Onto my next challenge... getting apache to startup.. right now its giving me trouble and saying that the httpd won't start.. but I still have to read the docs tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Jeremy aka The Ref

check the error log to see why its not starting...

/var/log/httpd-error.log

and u can also run...

apachectl configtest

to test ur httpd.conf file for any fubs.

:?: :-? :) ;)

Dictator
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Dictator » Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:18 pm

You know, you don't have to use telnet to connect to a machine. Telnet sends out plain textwords for password and it's pretty unsecure. Use ssh. It's safe way to connect to a machine. ;)
Give me liberty, or I may well give you death.

Grummun
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by Grummun » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:46 am

Dictator wrote:You know, you don't have to use telnet to connect to a machine. Telnet sends out plain textwords for password and it's pretty unsecure. Use ssh. It's safe way to connect to a machine. ;)

Hrm? I was suggesting he use telnet to test if a TCP port was open on the target machine, not for establishing a shell. :D

The_ref
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

Post by The_ref » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:16 pm

The only thing in the log is:

[Tues Aug 30 21:20:06 2005] [alert] mod_unique_id: unable to gethostbyname("lipariunix")