TFC log parsing

The place to discuss that runs all that hardware you have...

Moderators: boat, rickh

Grummun
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true

TFC log parsing

Post by Grummun » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:51 pm

I've been working on a system to parse logs from a TFC server, with an eye towards generating player statistics. The problem I have with all the HL stats systems I've seen is that they focus on kills versus deaths, and more or less ignore any team-oriented statistics. If you're interested, take a look at what I've got (http://www.grummun.com/ta/, go to the Logs page, and I know the Stats page is still busted). Each file represents the log from one map; the left column is 'cooked' log (processed and reformated for human readability) and the right column is the 'event' associated with the cooked log entry.

Some logs have no event, and vice-versa. This is because, in some cases, the event is ignored, or in other cases, because the event is generated as a result of a previous event.

All chat and teamchat events have been left out on purpose. Some folks say the darndest things... :o

Note that I don't really have any solid ideas on how to use the events to rank players. :-? Plenty of stats to sort players by, but how to gather all those stats together into a single rank?

If any of you, particularly those of you that have dabbled in creating maps, can explain exactly how Avanti and Dustbowl score points for the defense, I'd be happy to hear it. Avanti actually writes server logs for when defense scores, but the points don't seem to add up right with the final score. Dustbowl nominally scores 5 points for the defense every minute, but doesn't generate logs when it does, and again the points don't exactly add up; I expect I'm missing how it scores (if at all) time before the gates open, and fractional minutes when the flag it capped.