Google Earth

The place to discuss that runs all that hardware you have...

Moderators: boat, rickh

Post Reply
User avatar
Cochise
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true
Posts: 133
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2003 4:09 pm
Location: west middlesex, pa

Google Earth

Post by Cochise » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:53 am

Have any of you seen this yet?? With Google Earth, you can zoom in on just about anywhere on earth. For major citites you can even see cars in the satellite imagery. You can view street overlays/road maps for traveling, find airports, resturants etc. kinda like map quest but better. You can even rotate the view from top view to horizontal so you would see what it would look like if you were flying over the city.

Here is the link.
http://earth.google.com/

User avatar
[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true
Posts: 2818
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2002 8:00 pm
Location: Sharpsville, PA

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:00 am

i don't know about better than mapqwest. i've got some bogus directions from google maps before. i don't think they've got it perfected yet. mapqwest on the other hand has been at this for a while and is pretty accurate.
T-Bone

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos
will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

User avatar
Darth DBII
Crusty Ole Barnacle
Crusty Ole Barnacle
Posts: 320
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:48 pm
Location: I'm Right Behind you....
Contact:

Post by Darth DBII » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:30 pm

hahahaha...i just saw this on the =[4th]= forums hahahahahahaha
Image
Few will follow you into death....few unless you go first.

User avatar
Darq Angel
Pubescent Barnacle
Pubescent Barnacle
Posts: 119
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:10 pm
Location: Las Vegas, NV

Post by Darq Angel » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:13 pm

I have Google Earth and I love it to death! Directions wise, I think it works tons better than mapquest (hate that damn site). Not only is this good for directions, it's fun to play around with. :) It's basically more like a satellite program where they take pictures every year. I believe it's still a beta version isnt it?
Heaven doesn't want me and Hell is afraid I'd take over...

User avatar
[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true
Posts: 2818
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2002 8:00 pm
Location: Sharpsville, PA

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:57 pm

sorry, but i'm not gonna use it if it's a client side app. i guarantee you it's tracking all kinds of info on your machine. ...not to mention the huge bungle they had with caching peeps info by mistake (gmail & google toolbar) so that others could get at your info.

if it works better, why is my house in the wrong location? :P
T-Bone

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos
will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

User avatar
[NME]Myth
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true
Posts: 980
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2002 8:00 pm
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Contact:

Post by [NME]Myth » Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:15 pm

[NME]T-Bone wrote:sorry, but i'm not gonna use it if it's a client side app. i guarantee you it's tracking all kinds of info on your machine. ...not to mention the huge bungle they had with caching peeps info by mistake (gmail & google toolbar) so that others could get at your info.

if it works better, why is my house in the wrong location? :P


Waaahh! :P It's still coolio to play around with. Go tilt the view at the grand canyon! The 3D buildings of New York look pretty sweet too.

And yes, it is still a beta version.
LET'S GO HOKIES!!!

User avatar
[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true
Posts: 2818
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2002 8:00 pm
Location: Sharpsville, PA

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:49 pm

[NME]Myth wrote:
[NME]T-Bone wrote:sorry, but i'm not gonna use it if it's a client side app. i guarantee you it's tracking all kinds of info on your machine. ...not to mention the huge bungle they had with caching peeps info by mistake (gmail & google toolbar) so that others could get at your info.

if it works better, why is my house in the wrong location? :P


Waaahh! :P It's still coolio to play around with. Go tilt the view at the grand canyon! The 3D buildings of New York look pretty sweet too.

And yes, it is still a beta version.


just let me know when your machine is p0wned. :P
T-Bone

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos
will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

User avatar
[NME]Myth
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true
Posts: 980
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2002 8:00 pm
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Contact:

Post by [NME]Myth » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:56 pm

[NME]T-Bone wrote:
[NME]Myth wrote:
[NME]T-Bone wrote:sorry, but i'm not gonna use it if it's a client side app. i guarantee you it's tracking all kinds of info on your machine. ...not to mention the huge bungle they had with caching peeps info by mistake (gmail & google toolbar) so that others could get at your info.

if it works better, why is my house in the wrong location? :P


Waaahh! :P It's still coolio to play around with. Go tilt the view at the grand canyon! The 3D buildings of New York look pretty sweet too.

And yes, it is still a beta version.


just let me know when your machine is p0wned. :P


Let me check.....nope. Not yet. :P
LET'S GO HOKIES!!!

User avatar
KaptainSkitzo
Ole Barnacle
Ole Barnacle
Posts: 269
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 12:23 pm
Location: Balmer, Merlin
Contact:

Post by KaptainSkitzo » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:04 pm

We just got this....it is REAL neat. I really don't give a hang about being tracked, website wise...I only really hit a few websites as it is. Here, Drippy's forums, Vintage Computers forums, and a local radio stations website. Other than that, I'm playing TFC. If they are looking to collect info....they ain't getting much here.
"There are thousands of people out there who say I am *NOT* right in the head. There are thousands more out there who say I *AM* right in the head. The funny thing is, they all make these claims for the SAME REASONS!"
-Me.

User avatar
[NME]T-Bone
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true
Posts: 2818
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2002 8:00 pm
Location: Sharpsville, PA

Post by [NME]T-Bone » Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:59 pm

check out google moon. no client side app needed :P

lol @ zooming in all the way, hehehe!
T-Bone

"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos
will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

User avatar
Paradroid
[NME] tried and true
[NME] tried and true
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2002 7:13 pm
Location: Holland, EU
Contact:

Post by Paradroid » Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:19 pm

Heh, that's funny T-Bone.
It's all Gouda. :wink:

Hey, if you guys like "Google Earth", you might also like NASA WorldWind.

It's a bit older than google earth, in fact i think google earth is based on this program. But i think this gives you much more information, from different satelites. I uninstalled it recently because it was so slow on my computer. Plus it took up 3GB on my harddrive. But if you have a fast computer, and you have enough diskspace you should definately check it out.
Parad®σιd

Post Reply